There is No God.. ?

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't hate science but don't put all my faith in it either.

It wasn't too long ago that experts were saying asbestos is safe and smoking is good for you.
Not anymore..Also keep in mind that these two examples were commercially driven.. The dangers of these two items were known.. Asbestos is a perfect example.. There were measures taken on the waterfront for years when handling it..the dangers were well known..however Hardie’s worked hard for it to be seen as safe as half Australian houses were built with it..plus it is only dangerous when broken apart or it starts to deteriorate.. As for smoking..sheesh they did their level best to cover up its dangers!

And again science isn’t saying it has all the answers..it’s a theory until proven %100..

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't hate science but don't put all my faith in it either.

It wasn't too long ago that experts were saying asbestos is safe and smoking is good for you.
No one should have faith in science. That's the point of science. It's not about belief, it's about having an idea and trying to prove that idea wrong.

Side note, the experts didn't really think smoking was safe. That was more of an advertising thing. Like when you see a "paid expert" on TV explaining why a certain product is amazing. Like what Doctor Oz does.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not anymore..Also keep in mind that these two examples were commercially driven.. The dangers of these two items were known.. Asbestos is a perfect example.. There were measures taken on the waterfront for years when handling it..the dangers were well known..however Hardie’s worked hard for it to be seen as safe as half Australian houses were built with it..plus it is only dangerous when broken apart or it starts to deteriorate.. As for smoking..sheesh they did their level best to cover up its dangers!

And again science isn’t saying it has all the answers..it’s a theory until proven %100..
Interesting similar one with that. They used to use radium in instrument paint in planes to make the instruments glow in the dark. This was before radioactive and radiation was common knowledge. The women who painted the instruments would often dip the brushes into the radioactive paint, put the brush in their mouth, then paint.

Eventually the women started dying horrific deaths and it was still ignored. It didn't become a problem until the doctors treating the women started dying too.

The interesting part is that from day 1 while the women were working with the radioactive paint, the owners and foremen were walking around with lead aprons, gloves and goggles.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
No one should have faith in science. That's the point of science. It's not about belief, it's about having an idea and trying to prove that idea wrong.

Side note, the experts didn't really think smoking was safe. That was more of an advertising thing. Like when you see a "paid expert" on TV explaining why a certain product is amazing. Like what Doctor Oz does.
Paid experts don't exist anymore?
That was more of a 1950's/escalation of the cold war thing?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Paid experts don't exist anymore?
That was more of a 1950's/escalation of the cold war thing?
Nah, paid experts still exist. There's just better processes in place to weed out the paid experts. That's why you never trust any scientific research unless it's published in a well respected journal.

Paid experts tend to publish their research in blogs, their own fake journals, or on the pages of political think tanks.

Simple way to look at it. Search for climate change research. Look at the research published in journals like Nature, Science, or listed on Google Scholar. Then compare it against the research that's self published or pushed by political think tanks.

There's a massive difference.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Dicks on social media come in many different varieties and no matter what we believe, were bound to come across our fair share of them.... lol.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Nah, paid experts still exist. There's just better processes in place to weed out the paid experts. That's why you never trust any scientific research unless it's published in a well respected journal.

Paid experts tend to publish their research in blogs, their own fake journals, or on the pages of political think tanks.

Simple way to look at it. Search for climate change research. Look at the research published in journals like Nature, Science, or listed on Google Scholar. Then compare it against the research that's self published or pushed by political think tanks.

There's a massive difference.
Damn you always seem to have an explanation or conclusion for everything.

If I almost always had an answer for things like you do, then I'd do the Michael Hutchence!

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Damn you always seem to have an explanation or conclusion for everything.

If I almost always had an answer for things like you do, then I'd do the Michael Hutchence!
Tempting but I'm not really into the kinky stuff.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
But God has never been about science or proof. God's always been about faith and belief ?. I believe truly its all brainwashing of children and others who are in a weak state of mind ,but that's my opinion.
Cults brain wash, religious sectors follow their faith on a basis of something that has actually taken place.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a higher authorities existence is based on belief and faith, than they all exist or none of them do.

And given the "all" would include Scientology, The Westboro Baptist Church, The Flying Spaghetti Monster, The Cthulhu Mythos Cult and Dudeism, I'm firmly in the 'none of them do' camp.

Wahesh

Reaction score
If a higher authorities existence is based on belief and faith, than they all exist or none of them do.

And given the "all" would include Scientology, The Westboro Baptist Church, The Flying Spaghetti Monster, The Cthulhu Mythos Cult and Dudeism, I'm firmly in the 'none of them do' camp.
As said, there is a difference between a religious sector and a cult. Cults such as Scientology (a joke given they use the word "Church" in their name yet have no connection whatsoever to Christianity) are different as they are all about money. In order to be part of Scientology, you must donate 10% of what you earn and whatever assets you have. They brainwash people.

As I mentioned in my earlier post though, I not only believe, but have witnessed miracles myself, which is how I know I am blessed, and my belief is based on not only faith, but also knowledge.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
In order to be part of Scientology, you must donate 10% of what you earn and whatever assets you have. They brainwash people.
Don't other, more recognised religions, also take a percentage of peoples money? I am sure Hillsong does something similar and maybe even mormons. You could argue every religion brainwashes people considering most people who believe were indoctrinated as children.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't other, more recognised religions, also take a percentage of peoples money? I am sure Hillsong does something similar and maybe even mormons. You could argue every religion brainwashes people considering most people who believe were indoctrinated as children.

the common man spends half of his life in front of the TV lol.. who is brainwashed?

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Apparently anyone who cuts granite bench tops might be the new asbestos Sufferers due to silica dust causing silicosis.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I think Mormons do, maybe Hillsong does too. The main sects of Christianity do not though. They have collections in mass for people to give as much or as little as they want (you have people give paper money and people giving nothing). The Church keeps one of the collections in the mass though, the other goes to the archdiocese. That's the only way Churches can operate. For Scientologists though, specifically asking for 10%, that is as clear a daylight robbery as you get.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Apparently anyone who cuts granite bench tops might be the new asbestos Sufferers due to silica dust causing silicosis.
Yes..just terrible.. Cement dust is also problematic.. Just back to asbestos my great made died of asbestosis..he used to work at Qantas installing insulation..which was made of asbestos..in the jet engines.. He died a terrible death.. So sad..he was a champion bloke..

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
the common man spends half of his life in front of the TV lol.. who is brainwashed?
Perhaps. That kind of stuff is pretty unavoidable.

I just wish people gave their kids all of the available information, and let their kids decide what to believe. Rather than just totally immersing them in their own religion which I see as brainwashing. The only time I think that kind of brainwashing is acceptable is when it comes to attempting to get your kids to support the same footy team you do.

I as a non-believer will absolutely not be ramming that down my kids throats. If they ask me what I believe then I will tell them, but I won't tell them it is fact, just what I believe.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Perhaps. That kind of stuff is pretty unavoidable.

I just wish people gave their kids all of the available information, and let their kids decide what to believe. Rather than just totally immersing them in their own religion which I see as brainwashing. The only time I think that kind of brainwashing is acceptable is when it comes to attempting to get your kids to support the same footy team you do.

I as a non-believer will absolutely not be ramming that down my kids throats. If they ask me what I believe then I will tell them, but I won't tell them it is fact, just what I believe.

religious or not, children will receive their initial world view from their parents... or these days, social media... at least there is hope for kids who are brought up in religious house holds... if you're an atheist then you apparently don't matter, this is all a mistake, and you're going to work, consume, obey, and die

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cults brain wash, religious sectors follow their faith on a basis of something that has actually taken place.
Mate the Catholic church are pretty dam good at brainwashing