Brandon Wakeham - Bulldogs' Rookie to Watch

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
source ;https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2020/02/07/the-nrl-rookies-to-watch-in-2020/

Wakeham noted as the Bulldogs' rookie to watch in 2020.
A long-term shoulder injury to Kieran Foran gives Brandon Wakeham an opportunity to secure a starting role.

The goal-kicking pivot played three NRL matches last year and didn't look out of place, as well as starring in three wins for Fiji to earn a Golden Boot nomination.

Wakeham, 21, has been learning from premiership-winning Bulldogs halfback Brent Sherwin as he looks to earn a spot in the round one team.
Go Dogs

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
I'm really excited to see what this kid can do. Could end up being dog shit in firsts for all we know, but if he does come good then I truly hope Pay has the balls to keep him in the starting side.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm really excited to see what this kid can do. Could end up being dog shit in firsts for all we know, but if he does come good then I truly hope Pay has the balls to keep him in the starting side.
Not really, his already displayed he can hold his own in the NRL. Just needs to settle in to first grade on a weekly basis and he will become a decent playmaker and leader for us for years to come.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The person that is going to keep an eye on Wakeham's progression is not the coach, it's his mum. She'll keep Brandon fully focused and grounded when need be. After all she is a mad Doggies fanatic :grinning: In fact his whole family are :grinning: I predict BIG things for Brandon this year, mark my words.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I hope he makes it to regular first grade based on personality alone, seems to be a real character. Loved it when DWZ went down late in that game last season and Wakeham immediately crowds around in concern, then offers a drink to the opposing player that is going off at them. Cheeky little bugger.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Theres a scoop 'rookie to watch'.. Kid was in the shortlist for Golden Boot..

Hope he can crack First Grade as he has genuine X Factor gamebreaking ability..

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
So there's a tonne of external people from the nrl that have identified wakeham as a rising star, let's hope the internal people making the decisions in our coaching ranks have identified it also..

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
So there's a tonne of external people from the nrl that have identified wakeham as a rising star, let's hope the internal people making the decisions in our coaching ranks have identified it also..
Of course they have or he wouldn’t be where he is

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Of course they have or he wouldn’t be where he is
I still don't have confidence that Pay can make the correct team selections in the first instance.. he eventually got it right last year and we started winning. I hope I'm wrong and I hope he has learnt his lesson.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I still don't have confidence that Pay can make the correct team selections in the first instance.. he eventually got it right last year and we started winning. I hope I'm wrong and I hope he has learnt his lesson.
As long as BPay stops playing favorites and picks the team on merit we should be okay.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I see your point but as I’ve said before, we don’t see the daily training and behind the scenes stuff. It would be tough with such a young side and not much back up too

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Not really, his already displayed he can hold his own in the NRL. Just needs to settle in to first grade on a weekly basis and he will become a decent playmaker and leader for us for years to come.
I don't think he's displayed that he can hold his own at NRL level at all. But he does have the right attitude and skill set to succeed, so time will tell.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think he's displayed that he can hold his own at NRL level at all. But he does have the right attitude and skill set to succeed, so time will tell.
I think a 240min, 3 game 20 yr old that showed leadership values, a pretty important try assist and a try next to his name along with a 70% tackle efficiency rate is pretty much holding his own. That's my opinion though.. You might consider holding their own getting man of the match though.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I'm not convinced Pay will give Wakeham the chance early enough to matter. Hope I'm wrong.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm not convinced Pay will give Wakeham the chance early enough to matter. Hope I'm wrong.
All hinges on pre season I reckon and who works best with Lewis.

Knowing Pay he'll probably give his recommendation Coggar every opportunity though.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
I think a 240min, 3 game 20 yr old that showed leadership values, a pretty important try assist and a try next to his name along with a 70% tackle efficiency rate is pretty much holding his own. That's my opinion though.. You might consider holding their own getting man of the match though.
No not at all. That would be just foolish. I'll gauge "holding his own" based on game management whilst under pressure, his decision making when we are down and need to get back into the game, and overall progress as time goes on, amongst other things.
A silly concept I know, but hey that's just me. :/

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No not at all. That would be just foolish. I'll gauge "holding his own" based on game management whilst under pressure, his decision making when we are down and need to get back into the game, and overall progress as time goes on, amongst other things.
A silly concept I know, but hey that's just me. :/
Its not silly... You points very valid though I think your expecting to much from a rookie. I would be expecting something like that from a Lewis or Cogger considering where they are at.