Help for Bulldogs Season Review

NoChance

Waterboy
Reaction score
I am a writer on The Roar and be doing a series in where I will be doing a season preview of each team, I thought no better way to get a preview then the die hard fans . I will ask some questions and be greatly appreciated if u guys can answer them.

1. What are the biggest changes that need to be made from last year?

2. Bulldogs were the worst attacking team last year, scored least points and try's is that down to lack of talent in the especially outside backs or coaching? And what changes are in place to rectify this?

3. It known your cap situation has really hindered your ability to make a dent in the player market, however you did sign Joe Stimson and Sione Katoa do you expect them to have any great impact this year?

4. With the injury to Kieran Foran it appears yours halves going forward will be Brandon Wakeham and Lachlan Lewis they seem like the most inexperienced halves pairing do you believe they can the team around this year?

5. Is Dean Pay’s job as coach on the line this year , does he have the backing of the fan base?

6. After a disappointing start to the season you guys managed to win five from your last six games, had many fans thinking were was this all year . How much can you Fans take from that great finish and do you think you guys can bring that form next year ?

7.What’s your teams biggest strength and biggest weakness ?

8. The player with the most pressure on them is?

9. What rookie or relatively unknown player to look out for ?

10.What will constitute a successful season? what will constitute a failure this year?

11Who is going to be the best back and forward this year?

12.In your honest opinion where will they finish this year? Best case scenario can you see Them winning the Premiership, if so how?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Take it away boys an gals, this is going to be very interesting lol, can’t wait to read all your thoughts and views..!! I will hold judgment on our team and these questions until we are into the season :tonguewink:

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
1. Biggest change is to start the season strong. Play for the finals not for pride
2. We have the youngest squad who haven’t all played together for long. The longer they spend together the better they will gel and understand one another’s game.
3. Don’t expect to much from katoa but I believe Stimson will be a great buy hopefully he gets a starting gig along side chn with jacko at lock so we have try scoring back rowers both sides of the park.
4. I dare say cogger will partner Lewis in the halves but Brandon wakeham will be on their heels first mistake they make.
5. I think dean pay is safe for this year providing we don’t finish last, with 2021 his make or break. I back dean pay
6. I hope they bring their energy and grit from the end of last season. Confidence will be a big key aswell.
7. Biggest strength is our heart and grit. Weakness is creativity we have lacked that but I’m sure more experience from our spine we will slowly over come that.
8. Most pressure is on Lachlan Lewis, he needs to step up and take control of the team now Foran is out. If he can’t do that I’m sure he will be straight back down to reserves.
9. Brandon wakeham is definitely a player to watch his shown he can lead his country around the park it’s only a matter of time he will be a permanent first grader.
10. A successful season would be to finish anywhere 1-11th place. A failure would be to finish 12-16th. I believe we finish 7th honestly.
11. I think our best back will be hoppa his experience and Footy knowledge is vital for us. Best forward I think will be Napa he will step up alot and watch to omaga he is showing some promise through the middle.
12. Honestly can’t see us winning the comp this year may be in 2021 we will have a good crack. But I think we finish 7th.
There ya go champ

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1. Biggest change required, is that bradyk needs to shut the fuck up with his overs and unders

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
1. Biggest change required, is that bradyk needs to shut the fuck up with his overs and unders
If the moderators warn or ban me then I will. Until then it's game on as it's a discussion forum where my opinion means at least as much as yours. If you really mean what you're saying you'd be doing your best not to bait my responses.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a writer on The Roar and be doing a series in where I will be doing a season preview of each team, I thought no better way to get a preview then the die hard fans . I will ask some questions and be greatly appreciated if u guys can answer them.

2. Bulldogs were the worst attacking team last year, scored least points and try's is that down to lack of talent in the especially outside backs or coaching? And what changes are in place to rectify this?

3. It known your cap situation has really hindered your ability to make a dent in the player market, however you did sign Joe Stimson and Sione Katoa do you expect them to have any great impact this year?

4. With the injury to Kieran Foran it appears yours halves going forward will be Brandon Wakeham and Lachlan Lewis they seem like the most inexperienced halves pairing do you believe they can the team around this year?

5. Is Dean Pay’s job as coach on the line this year , does he have the backing of the fan base?

6. After a disappointing start to the season you guys managed to win five from your last six games, had many fans thinking were was this all year . How much can you Fans take from that great finish and do you think you guys can bring that form next year ?

10.What will constitute a successful season? what will constitute a failure this year?

12.In your honest opinion where will they finish this year? Best case scenario can you see Them winning the Premiership, if so how?
1. Biggest changes from last year ? I hope Pay gives the team the freedom to play exactly the same from game 1 as he did at the end of last season.
2 Lack of tries last year comes down to lack of talent mainly, injuries to Foran and some lack of coaching. I've read our young halves are doing a lot of practice with Brent Sherwin on kicking skills in particular. I hope they've also done a lot on passing skills (cut-out passes etc)
3. Expecting Stimson to be either in the starting line-up or off the bench throughout the season. Katoa will only see first grade if JMK is injured. JMK should be able to play 80 mins every week.
4 I believe Pay will start with Lewis and Cogger. Wakeham will only get a shot if these 2 don't work out. I think Cogger deserves his shot first also as he has more experience in NRL.
5 Pay is safe unless we loose virtually all our games up to half way through the season and it's obvious the team aren't motivated and we have no game plan. There's no-one decent to replace him with plus it's not all his fault we couldn't give him better players to improve his roster.
6 We can repeat the defensive effort of late last year but we're going to be under the pump more for scoring points with Foran out. Foran is still our best attacking player when on the field.
7 Biggest strength is our defence. CHN is one of the most dangerous back rowers in the comp. Hopa still a decent centre. Lewis saves tries usually each and every game. DWZ a great player overall.
8 Most pressure is on Lewis to perform without Foran, then similar with Cogger.
9 Best rookie is Brandon Wakeham followed by Jake Averillo
10 Successful season will be making the top 8
11 Best forward CHN. I read recently he's training the house down too. Best back hopefully Lewis or R Smith if he makes a good transition to centre but more realistically Hopa or DWZ
12 I believe we will either make the 8 or fall just short. We don't have the experience or strike in attack to win the comp unfortunately but if we got deep into the semis and Foran remained healthy and the whole team played their best footy ever we're in with a shot

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

1. The start of the season. The previous two seasons we've really put ourselves in a massive hole. It looks like the team struggles when we're playing games that actually mean something regarding the ladder and finals places. I'd say personnel due to lack of talent but our hands are tied regarding that.

2. Inconsistent spine. I think we're lacking talent in the backs and halves (mainly halves when Foran is out of the side). I've never had a problem with the coaching and actually think Pay has done a terrific job but he's always going to be blamed for the problems as a head coach. You can only do so much with the squad and talent we have. The only thing that really changes is players have got another year of experience and we will not have to worry about Foran being in and out (at least until he's back). Hopefully we can get a break out seasons or two from some of our younger guys either already in the NRL team (e.g. Meaney) or coming through reserve grade (e.g. Wakeham).

3. I think Stimson will be a really good player for us. I don't think he'll get a start but I wouldn't be surprised if he does or later on forces his way into the back row pushing Jackson to lock. For now tho I want Jackson playing 80 minutes and I actually don't mind Elliott as much as others. I can see the value he brings just being in the side. Katoa at best is going to be a benchie but I wouldn't be surprised if he's just our reserve grade hooker allowing us to carry Stimson and Smith on the bench (who recently just signed a contract extension - again another player I don't mind). Panthers were having hooker problems just like us (and actually signed our target Koroisau) and Katoa was their third string hooker so I don't have that much confidence regarding him but it's a fresh start for him.

4. At this stage it's most likely our half pairing will be Lewis and Cogger. There is an outside chance Wakeham will start tho. I think Wakeham will get a chance during the season regardless either due to form or injury of Lewis and Cogger. I also don't think he'll sign a new deal unless we give him an opportunity so that's something to think about. We can't beat around the bush they're one of the worst halves pairings in the NRL (our backs are down there too). Saying that I really like Lewis and hope he can make it. Some values of his that I like is that he's unorthodox, an effort player and is one of the best defensive halves in the NRL (probably the main reason he's first picked - not including Foran).

5. I don't think Pay's job is on the line. We'd have to get the Wooden Spoon for me and even then who is there to get? I think we should be ruthless regardless if a top coach was available (e.g. Flanagan). The fans are split on Pay. The way I see it he's come in to coach an inferior side on paper (imo overachieved last year) which is expected to come second last this year according to the bookies. My expectations are that we finish outside the bottom four, so at worst 12th. I'll be happy with that given the circumstances we're in.

6. I don't think we can look too much into it. Same as the season before we performed better when we weren't in contention for finals. Technically we were if we won every game and results went our way but as soon as we were favourites, against the Cowboys, we disappointing lost that game. The mentality we had during that run we need to translate that to the start of the season and games where there is something on the line (ladder pressure, finals positions). Last season (from the start of the season, not just during our run) I couldn't question the effort the boys showed so if that's there again this year anything is possible. I think that'll be really hard as they've set such a high bar.

7. Our strength is the effort the boys put in and they really play for the player beside them as well as their coach and fans. I saw a lot of teams give up on their seasons (e.g. Knights and Cowboys) when things weren't going their way. I think this is the biggest reason we'll not get the Wooden Spoon. Due to our effort our defence was a brick wall at times. I think we have a good base and leadership group to work with moving forward. Our glaring weakness is lack of talent on paper when comparing us to any squad. Even being a Bulldogs fan if I was to do a combined 13 between us and every team I don't think we'd have the majority of the players maybe bar Titans (maybe another one to two teams but it really isn't significant).

8. A few players still aren't contracted for 2021. I'd say players like Meaney, all of our halves (even Lewis even tho he is contracted), Tolman (who I know will deal with it) and Elliott are the big ones. We also need to see an improvement in Napa as he's on a big contract.

9. I'd have to say Wakeham. Another name doesn't really come to me. He impressed for Fiji but hasn't really had a chance at the Doggies yet.

10. We're expected to finish second last according the the bookies. So technically for me if we finish second last we did as expected (before a ball was kicked). A successful season for me is finishing outside the bottom four, so at worst 12th. Anything better is a bonus and will help us a lot moving forward. If we were to get the Wooden Spoon that'd be a failure for me.

11. I think the best back (assuming we mean 1-7) is going to be DWZ. When Foran comes back if (...) he remains fit I'd say him. I'm pretty sure he got player of the year on TheKennel last year and he missed around 1/3 of our games. DWZ also came in mid season and had a massive impact like we all know. For the forwards I think Jackson. He's just so consistent and I think he's really relishing in the Captain role (Bulldogs vs Eels at BankWest last year, oh my :kissingheart: ). CHN was in and out of the squad last year so hopefully he can have a big year. I love when he's playing less structured (adlib?).

12. I see us finishing 12th. Just outside the bottom four. I still think we're a few players short until we're a finals team. If we were to win the premiership I think it'd be up their with Leicester City winning the EPL.

I had to rush this a bit because I have to jet. Hopefully it's a good read for you.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Someone needs to do a Kennel season preview.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Ok boomer. Will give it a crack.

1. Given that alot of our players are not as athletically gifted as players from other teams I think there needs to be an emphasis on getting numbers in tackles and slowing down the play the ball.

2. Lack of talent not doubt. Not sure of the changes or whether the coaches are out of their depth.
A tacit gameplan to counter this, imo would involve more work around the middle of the field to create space on the edges. More engaging markers from dh, more running from dh and find a long pass to the playmakers that doesn't involve the props. Short passing between forwards etc.

3. Stimson should provide some solid edge defence and find some great lines. Hopefully takes Jackson spot allowing for a back row of 11. Stimson 12. CHN 13. Jackson.
With fatigue becoming a more prominent factor in the results Katoa could provide more spark in the middle and at the very least he is not Lichaa

4. Going to assume you meant lead the team around this year.
Without Foran the other 3 are capable without posing any great danger to defences. In this regard they need to not overplay their hand which will only lead to errors. Wakeham appears to be the most naturally gifted and has a knack for reading the game however I have doubts over whether he could last the season or even ten ganes physically. He has a history of injuries. All of our playmakers really need to focus on all facets of kicking. We need alot more repeat sets and we have to produce tries from kicks given the rule changes.

5. Let's not forget that Pay has a severely depleted squad and is hampered by the cap. We have an obvious lack of game breaking talent when compared to other squads.
But I would expect there to be some questions asked if the 1st half of the season is anything like the last 2. He needs to show that he is evolving

6. Nope. We need to show we can compete when it matters.

7. Biggest strength is resilience biggest weakness is not being as physically gifted as other sides.

8. All the playmakers will be feeling the pressure to provide more given the poor attacking results of recent seasons and once again being without their chief playmaker.

9. Averillo. If Kotoa can't lock down a bench spot this talented youngster could provide value given his versatility to play anywhere from 1-7 and possibly even 9.

10. Making the finals = success
Any amount of rounds till end of regular season without a chance to make finals = fail

11. For the hopefuls - Hard to go past CHN, provides alot of attacking flair for a forward. R Smith has the physicality and athleticism to be a dominate back and it will go some way to being a good year for the dogs if he can rise to another level at centre.
Most likely's - DWZ/Hoppa, Jackson/Tolman

12. Never say never. The biggest strength this side has is resilience, if they can play alot smarter and limit the amount of pressure they place on themselves it will lend to having more reserves for attacking raids and that brick wall defence they displayed on more than a few occasions last season.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

We need more wins in the first half of the season. Another 6 wins in the first half allows for a couple of extra losses in the second half and still make the 8 (based on last years results)

Lack of talent across the board (not just backs), possibly bit to do with coaching. Bringing Reimis in centres, More halves stability with Foz out for a long time and more self belief will help this year.

Stimson definitely, if Katoa plays like he did in the internationals rather than for the Pennies, he will have impact also

Sounds like Cogger just ahead of Wakeham to start. The halves need the forwards to really step up so they get time with the ball.

If he goes worse than last year, especially the start, and there’s a better candidate available, his job is under threat. Same for fan base backing.

The team is one of the most inexperienced, and it’s easier to win with less pressure. They can bring it, but the big unknown is will they. IDK.

Strength? Playing for each other and playing for the Bulldogs.
Weakness? Inexperienced, having too much cap in too few players that don’t provide enough on the park (hopefully this is the last year of this)

Anyone who’s contract runs out this year. Big changes are likely for next year’s team, big chance of them being let go.

Wakeham, Averillo, Harper

Successful? Making the 8, or at least being in the running to in the last round
Unsuccessful? Not making the 8, particularly if out of contention 5 rounds out

Best back? Real toss up...DWZ just over Hoppa

Finish? 8th-12th
Premiership? Not this year, too many clubs with significantly more topline & experienced players

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We need more wins in the first half of the season. Another 6 wins in the first half allows for a couple of extra losses in the second half and still make the 8 (based on last years results)

Lack of talent across the board (not just backs), possibly bit to do with coaching. Bringing Reimis in centres, More halves stability with Foz out for a long time and more self belief will help this year.

Stimson definitely, if Katoa plays like he did in the internationals rather than for the Pennies, he will have impact also

Sounds like Cogger just ahead of Wakeham to start. The halves need the forwards to really step up so they get time with the ball.

If he goes worse than last year, especially the start, and there’s a better candidate available, his job is under threat. Same for fan base backing.

The team is one of the most inexperienced, and it’s easier to win with less pressure. They can bring it, but the big unknown is will they. IDK.

Strength? Playing for each other and playing for the Bulldogs.
Weakness? Inexperienced, having too much cap in too few players that don’t provide enough on the park (hopefully this is the last year of this)

Anyone who’s contract runs out this year. Big changes are likely for next year’s team, big chance of them being let go.

Wakeham, Averillo, Harper

Successful? Making the 8, or at least being in the running to in the last round
Unsuccessful? Not making the 8, particularly if out of contention 5 rounds out

Best back? Real toss up...DWZ just over Hoppa

Finish? 8th-12th
Premiership? Not this year, too many clubs with significantly more topline & experienced players
Yup 8th-12th sounds reasonable.!!

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A writer who spells tries as try’s?
Does anyone else smell something? :-).
I noticed multiple errors reading that and my spelling/grama is terrible. Kinda like the Paypal or ANZ scam emails from some drongo overseas. I call BS.

NoChance

Waterboy
Reaction score
I noticed multiple errors reading that and my spelling/grama is terrible. Kinda like the Paypal or ANZ scam emails from some drongo overseas. I call BS.
That’s what’s the editors are for , need to keep them busy

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

2 major points,very young squad,with exception of jacko and tolman,a similarly inexperienced coach,happy if they can avoid the spoon,.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
All due respect NoChance, but shouldn't you have an opinion on most of these matters seeing as you were tasked with writing the article?

If you watched the NRL last year you'd have the answers to a lot of those questions..

I appreciate trying to get as much information as possible but someone could ask many on here and other legit forums to give a detailed breakdown of any of the 16 clubs and they'd probably have a fair idea..

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That’s what’s the editors are for , need to keep them busy
What, for correct spacing and comma position? Old time journo's might not of had tertiary education and had a few grammatical warts, but I cant imagine any dinosaurs at The Roar.