News How the Bulldogs signed Super League star Luke Thompson

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don't think that's really the beef though mate. The beef is Brady's insistence that he 'knows' how much Thompson was signed for (he doesn't).

You'll notice how despite his stubbornness that it slowly erodes from 'know' to 'rumoured' to 'none of us know unless we see the contract' to 'I'll have to break into the club to find out'.

So his ongoing nonsense with the numbers he throws out then translates into what is or isn't 'marquee' (a word I personally don’t like in a team sport).

He's already shredded his credibility on here for all to see and I need to take no further part in the debate.
I don't think I've ever said I know a player is on X (as in know 100%). The last two quotes are me quoting you. At the end of the day I don't think Thompson is a marquee. You disagree. It's rumoured he has signed for 700k which is top dollar. You refuse to believe any numbers unless it's given from the club which will never be the case. The numbers don't even have to be 100% accurate like I've said 100 times. It's the principle. Raiders get John Bateman for a rumoured 350k and we get Thompson for a rumoured 700k. Not sure how my credibility in questioned. I'm not giving you information that you can't get elsewhere. Most of the replies are people who disagree that don't really offer anything to the argument that're having a circle jerk and resorting to being funny or abusive (who probably make you feel better). *Mic drop* from DinkumDog walking away thinking he's won an argument again when he really hasn't. Say your piece and stop replying if it really bothers you. Also saying "I don't think that's really the beef though mate" when it's literally half the reason we're even talking is questionable. You guys just like to pick the "points" that aren't even about the point to have a leg to stand on. The thing that sickens me the most is I give more "evidence" (literally as good as I can get - this article actually supports what I'm saying) to support my ideas than almost any of you yet you talk shit about me in that regard and disregard it.

By the way this is my first response to Natboy's bait:
"Not sure if you can read but that was almost two years ago. It says the two other clubs persisting with him were the Titans and Warriors both clubs I'd say we have a better chance to recruit a player (unless they want to live in QLD or NZ). Rumour has it we're paying him 700k whereas John Bateman joined the Raiders for 350k. It's a good signing but don't get too carried away now. I think the reason majority of other clubs dropped out was because of St. Helens offer. I also never questioned Hill regarding overseas recruitment (with Holbrook or Thompson)."

What has changed from then and now? I didn't add rumoured to Bateman's price tag (I mean do I really have to say it every time, is it not common sense I can't break into a team's HQ)? I later added Thompson isn't a marquee.

This is another quote of me from Jan 17th:
"Thompson is not even close to being the "best prop in the world". Also he isn't worth 700k. Unproven in the NRL and hasn't impressed on the international stage. You can't demand that type of money. I see him going somewhere for less than that and similar to Bateman if he impressed looking to get an upgraded deal while under contract (which is fair). I mean Napa is on 650k so who knows anymore."

So I have to say I don't think he's worth 700k and you'll feel a lot better? The same for Napa saying he's rumoured to be on 650k? There are literally multiple articles regarding what Napa and Bateman signed for and you can't get anymore evidence. It's the best we're going to get. I think even then you'll disregard it as it doesn't suit your agenda.

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me that the same people who complain about a lack of information from the club, poor communication etc then complain that there is too much information. We aren’t doing anything, no recruiting is happening, missing out on a plethora of quality players because the Board are not giving them daily, hourly, updates. Then when there is a detailed update they bitch about it being too detailed.

Plainly they are doing plenty, getting on with it in a well managed, controlled, business like manor with a touch of humanity and family involvement. They will then brings us up to speed at the appropriate time. Appropriate for all concerned, not just to satisfy the whiners.

Go Dogs

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don’t underestimate the impact that your letter to Andrew Hill had on this situation either. It’s no coincidence that we have since landed a big signing, with rumours of more to follow. There’s been a real increase in efficiency amongst management and recruitment staff ever since that letter landed at Bulldogs HQ and sent shockwaves through the joint. Well done Brad
No I agree my letter did f..k all but we can only try can't we ?. It was MY TIME I wasted. No-one had to read it just like no-one here was forced to read it but there were many fans concerned at that time with our lack of recruitment (not just me) so I hoped if many voices contacted the club management might just pull their finger out, employ someone new and do things a bit differently. There's nothing wrong with pushing for change if there's no evidence the current plan is working. As the article states they realised that this deal was likely to fall through so they had to change and become more proactive and fly to the UK etc. I hope they're making the same kind of effort with other players they're targeting and after reading this I'm more confident they are so I'm a lot happier now than I was before. Before this article / signing though I wasn't so confident.

If we feel the club is doing something wrong and heading the wrong way we should never be too afraid to voice our opinion collectively. Dib and co were willing to listen to anyone at the end (including me) but they left it way too late.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
No I agree my letter did f..k all but we can only try can't we ?. It was MY TIME I wasted. No-one had to read it just like no-one here was forced to read it but there were many fans concerned at that time with our lack of recruitment (not just me) so I hoped if many voices contacted the club management might just pull their finger out, employ someone new and do things a bit differently. There's nothing wrong with pushing for change if there's no evidence the current plan is working. As the article states they realised that this deal was likely to fall through so they had to change and become more proactive and fly to the UK etc. I hope they're making the same kind of effort with other players they're targeting and after reading this I'm more confident they are so I'm a lot happier now than I was before. Before this article / signing though I wasn't so confident.

If we feel the club is doing something wrong and heading the wrong way we should never be too afraid to voice our opinion collectively. Dib and co were willing to listen to anyone at the end (including me) but they left it way too late.
Love your passion mate.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m sure the management were all shaking and quivering in their boots after reading said letter lol
I'm certain they weren't but if the current management don't listen to fans or give a shit what they think and you get great pleasure from that then that would suggest you support the board members ahead of the club even if their actions were detrimental to our club

Apercots

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Imagine the thread we would have gotten if we hadn’t signed him ...

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now clock your miles up and go to Melbourne and suck addo Carr off get him to sign
And a half back too and hopefully checked up on Curtis Rona

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't think that's really the beef though mate. The beef is Brady's insistence that he 'knows' how much Thompson was signed for (he doesn't).

You'll notice how despite his stubbornness that it slowly erodes from 'know' to 'rumoured' to 'none of us know unless we see the contract' to 'I'll have to break into the club to find out'.

So his ongoing nonsense with the numbers he throws out then translates into what is or isn't 'marquee' (a word I personally don’t like in a team sport).

He's already shredded his credibility on here for all to see and I need to take no further part in the debate.
Honestly mate, no matter what the club does or doesn't do people will always have the side of the fence they want to sit on. And nothing will change that.

Personally it'd be great to read more balanced views rather than hysteria tied into one specific line of belief. In this case it's usually whether the board is or isn't doing its job well. To me it's frustrating coming on here and constantly seeing it all about making lines and whose view is best.

As you're probably aware I've had my disagreements with Brad, but agree with some of what he says and will say that. Credit where credit is due. But some of his views I don't agree with and I call him out on that ... when I see them.

For what it's worth we all need to settle down. Great sign what the club has done with Thompson, but more need to follow. Addo Carr before the season starts would be fab, but we need another 1-2 at least.

For the record, neither Thompson nor Addo Care are marquee signings imo. And I'm happy as hell with that.

The fact we've got a settled club with no off season dramas and a good preseason I think bodes extremely well for us. We're not going to win the comp, but I'm quite optimistic

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Honestly mate, no matter what the club does or doesn't do people will always have the side of the fence they want to sit on. And nothing will change that.

Personally it'd be great to read more balanced views rather than hysteria tied into one specific line of belief. In this case it's usually whether the board is or isn't doing its job well. To me it's frustrating coming on here and constantly seeing it all about making lines and whose view is best.

As you're probably aware I've had my disagreements with Brad, but agree with some of what he says and will say that. Credit where credit is due. But some of his views I don't agree with and I call him out on that ... when I see them.

For what it's worth we all need to settle down. Great sign what the club has done with Thompson, but more need to follow. Addo Carr before the season starts would be fab, but we need another 1-2 at least.

For the record, neither Thompson nor Addo Care are marquee signings imo. And I'm happy as hell with that.

The fact we've got a settled club with no off season dramas and a good preseason I think bodes extremely well for us. We're not going to win the comp, but I'm quite optimistic
Good read mate, some good points made also!!

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good read mate, some good points made also!!
Cheers pal. Will say your comment "SOME good points made also" doesn't really sit well with me as I believe ALL of the comments were good ;)

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Absolutely dripping with Autism, spewing out of every orifice lmao
I have 2 brothers with Autism mate,so pretty poor choice of words there..
I don’t appreciate your negative connotation.
My brothers likely have more positives than you bud with that kind of attitude

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Absolutely dripping with Autism, spewing out of every orifice lmao
Couldn't have been arsed reading through all the thread but see I should've before commenting on things.

Such comments about autism made above etc. are plain bullshit guys and not something to make fun of. Having a daughter myself with special needs it really puts me off seeing crap comments like this, and even more disappointing seeing respected posters on here liking or finding the post funny.

We're all going to disagree on shit, and by god I disagree with some of you a lot, but keep it out of the fucking gutters you clowns.