Dean pay on 2sm

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We missed out by two wins, that's pretty close considering we were tipped to be the spooners before and after the season started.

He was the only one to put the attacking chips in, considering his the shittest attacking half what does that say about the better attacking halves who didn't?

"He strung wins together once our defence started to click which was the major factor in the wins." Bud the argument is based on defence and attack and your admitting defence got us those wins and pretty sure Lewis was a MAJOR factor in the defence of those wins.

Doesn't matter how many tries u can score! As long as you can mange 18 points you can dead set win a comp if you can limit your opposition to less.

Grand finals for the last ten years....

2019 - 14- 8
2018 - 21 - 6
2017 - 34 - 6
2016 - 14 - 12
2015 - 17- 16
2014 - I don't know who won that game
2013 - 26 - 18
2012 - 14 - 4
2011 - 24 - 10
2010 - 32 - 8

Can u see a trend? On only one occasion did the losing team score 18 points. I don't know Spoony but that's evidence 3 tries is sufficient considering u convert those tries of course or get a penalty kick or two.

Anyway spoons we shall see what the seasons beholds.
As I said in my other post the table lied to some degree because we were rooted to the bottom of the table mid way through the season. We strung those wins together and still missed.

Cherry picking one chip kick is rather odd when you use that to compare the halves.

Lewis contributed to the defence but he wasn’t a major cause of the improvement. A whole shift in attitude of the team, DWZ’s organisation from the back and Meaney making better reads then Okunbor were way more important then Lewis’ contribution.

Grand final results are great but you have to make it there. I wouldn’t think any of those teams average three tries for the entire year. Using one game a year to back your claim is bizarre.

Yeah we will see what happens! Not long to go.

Valley Viking

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lewis should be first receiver and Wakeham should be outside him. Lewis can link play but struggles to create and also struggles to run with the ball therefore should be nothing more than a distributor until his attacking nous grows. Wakeham can pull a rabiit out of the hat and can throw short and long, left and right...

Pay must go for a traditional half back and 5/8 attacking style with both halves constantly shifting to either side of the ruck. If he goes left and right halves were fukn screwed.
Spot on, as much I like Lewis he has no running game. He has a long boot, decent short kicking game which hopefully improves under Sherwin. He can throw bullet balls both sides but his accuracy needs to improve. Wakeham is the one I with the creativity and I think they can compliment each other well.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Having a half that is great at defending but bog average at the most important parts of being a half, is like having a prop with an awesome cut out pass and grubber kick but he gets you 20 metres a game from 12 carries.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Jeez some blokes are hard on Lewis, he has the best hair flick in the league.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
His defence is as good as I’ve ever seen for a half. He literally just does not miss 1 on 1, no matter who it is carrying the ball.

There’s some argument to say that he didn’t create enough try’s last year, but it’s gotta be acknowledged how many he saved, and there was plenty.

His long-mid range kicking game is very solid and is understated on this forum. Definitely needs to improve his creativity in the attacking 20 metres but that will come. He’s what 22 years old? He’s developing well and his best years as a half are still a couple of years away. The tools are there, I’m confident he’ll be a success.
The usual suspects are always looking to criticise. When Lewis has a good game, the same people will be jizzing about it.
It wasnt that far back he was "The Prince of Belmore" He will go OK.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He's slower than a wet week.

In an interview last year he said "Foz had him covered for speed" LMAO than says it all when a guy with and 80 year olds back is faster than you.
You don’t really have to be fast to be a half back. Just need to steer your team around have good vision have a decent kicking game and good defence. Speed is a bonus not a requirement

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You don’t really have to be fast to be a half back. Just need to steer your team around have good vision have a decent kicking game and good defence. Speed is a bonus not a requirement
Yeah I don't mind that hes slow, doesn't worry me tbh. What does, is he virtually never tries to take the line on.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The usual suspects are always looking to criticise. When Lewis has a good game, the same people will be jizzing about it.
It wasnt that far back he was "The Prince of Belmore" He will go OK.
I don't know about anyone else but Iwon't be "jizzing" over anything other than a premiership.

Why do people get so upset when people point out obvious flaws?

It's not like what I'm saying isn't true. He's slow. He isn't creative. He doesn't take the line on. He passed over the sideline. His passing and kicking game is average.

Is it the manner in which I said it? "Bog average" and "slower than a wet week"?

Last edited:

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else but Iwon't be "jizzing" over anything other than a premiership.

Why do people get so upset when people point out obvious flaws?

It's not like what I'm saying isn't true. He's slow. He isn't creative. He doesn't take the line on. He passed over the sideline. His passing and kicking game is average.

Is it the manner in which I said it? "Bog average" and "slower than a way week"?
Sorry pal, but the flaws are not that obvious. It was basically his first full year in first grade and he will gain a lot of benefit from the experience.
He is also being coached by one of our best, Brent Sherwin.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sorry pal, but the flaws are not that obvious. It was basically his first full year in first grade and he will gain a lot of benefit from the experience.
He is also being coached by one of our best, Brent Sherwin.
Sorry pal, they are obvious. They're so obvious that it was probably a major reason for bringing Sherwin in. To help with his OBVIOUS short comings.

I hope he has a great season and improves in all facets of his game but I'm not going to sit here and pretend that he doesn't have a average game atm. He does.

You know how you always go on about how slow Hoppa is? Well you telling me Lewis doesn't have obvious flaws in his game would be like me saying Hoppa is fast LOL.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah I don't mind that hes slow, doesn't worry me tbh. What does, is he virtually never tries to take the line on.
Very limited. His done it a few times. Once he got absolutely belted by mataulino and the other times he poked his head through the line and offered an offload. He can break the line but the kid needs to turn it into a habit like Thurston did. Kid needs to start working on his bag of tricks and thus has to be the season for it.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a flawed way of thinking when you are selecting a half pretty much on defence.

Lewis will have really improved with the ball or we are shot ducks because there will be so much pressure on the other half to provide everything in attack.

Saying the other options are absolute liabilities is defence is a massive stretch too. They defend like your average half does.
They defend like average defenders so if you put them side by side you will create a hole that everyone will attack

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree. But if we look at it this way, he is probably the best defensive half in the comp? Do you agree? I think most will. This being the case,if he can get his attacking plays in order, we have a distinct advantage over most teams. We don't have a week link in defense. Sort of.
Deano is pretty straight up and down so he wasn't trying to deflect or sugarcoat anything he said. Lewis is a lock because the start of the year will be defence focussed. Theres a belief in the squad now that adequate offence flows on the back of confidence gained from defence. THIS is what Deans message has been all along. 3 off seasons into his tenure as coach the team on the back of our 2nd half performance last season can see the fruits of this strategy and are buying in.

Last offseason the focus was offence. The perception was that passing skills particularly while running at speed and hole running was poor and these were our focus areas while this offie its been more about reading the game of an opponent and building defensive structures to counteract whats developing on the field as well as reinforcing the covering and scrambling skills we developed later last year.

Remembering how potent our attack can be...looking at the back end of the last 2 years, particularly with KF straightening the attack last year, he is the major hole we need to fill. The confidence is there though amongst our halves and with Shifties help and insight a well as the move of Smith to his natural place of centre, Deano likes the look of how our attack is developing.

Id strongly recommend that you guys try get out to any open training fan days before the season kicks off. It will give you immense insight into our plans by the focus of our drills and youll witness who exactly has the inside running in the halves and 2nd row selection battles.

Go Dogs!!!!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Deano is pretty straight up and down so he wasn't trying to deflect or sugarcoat anything he said. Lewis is a lock because the start of the year will be defence focussed. Theres a belief in the squad now that adequate offence flows on the back of confidence gained from defence. THIS is what Deans message has been all along. 3 off seasons into his tenure as coach the team on the back of our 2nd half performance last season can see the fruits of this strategy and are buying in.

Last offseason the focus was offence. The perception was that passing skills particularly while running at speed and hole running was poor and these were our focus areas while this offie its been more about reading the game of an opponent and building defensive structures to counteract whats developing on the field as well as reinforcing the covering and scrambling skills we developed later last year.

Remembering how potent our attack can be...looking at the back end of the last 2 years, particularly with KF straightening the attack last year, he is the major hole we need to fill. The confidence is there though amongst our halves and with Shifties help and insight a well as the move of Smith to his natural place of centre, Deano likes the look of how our attack is developing.

Id strongly recommend that you guys try get out to any open training fan days before the season kicks off. It will give you immense insight into our plans by the focus of our drills and youll witness who exactly has the inside running in the halves and 2nd row selection battles.

Go Dogs!!!!
Good post. Would be interesting to know based on your observations who you think have the inside running for halves and back row. If not today maybe a little closer to kick-off. Not going to harangue you if it doesn’t turn out that way, just genuinely curious based on what you’ve seen.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Go Dogs!!!!
Nice insight mate. I know there has been a lot of negativity of late, but I understand this comes with losing on a regular basis. But I have always remained positive because i can see this gradual improvement that you have detailed. I also dont think that we are in desperate need of signings in so many positions as others think. Across the board we are actually pretty good imo.
A quote that my dad always used was, "a champion team will always beat a team of champions". This is who we are. We are the Bulldogs, and our success has been built on this model. Team cohesiveness and moral amongst the players has been the cornerstone of our success since the 80s.
Cairns is a little too far from bellmore for me to attend a training session, but I'm confident that the extra training with shift, and cross code training with GWS will have our boys well prepared for what's ahead. I'm actually very positive for the year ahead!!

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason Smith was always slow as a mule too. But he could read the game in advance and Lewis isnt that advanced yet and possibly wont ever be the player Smith was. But we can hope he is half the player smith was