News How the Bulldogs signed Super League star Luke Thompson

Doggone1975

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That pitch is going to end up costing you more money, or the player. In negotiations as a club you try to stay away from what other players may or may not be earning (no one is really supposed to know, remember?)

There are actually a lot of clues in the article that started this thread. I can guarantee you that in some point in this hypothetical pitch we are discussing, probably fairly early on, the club is going to start talking about the next few seasons, how Nick can be a part of it. They are going to talk about the players already contracted (which is where signings like Thompson come into it), why do you think CHN, DWZ, Jacko, and now Thompson are the players the club have contracted beyond 2021? What do they have in common? They are players that other players want to play next to. They are all leaders. Then they are going to say they like Nick, he fits in well, he has shown he has the ability to make it in first grade, but the cap means they have to be careful. They will then make an offer somewhat below what the agent initially asked for. Will Nick take the offer? A lot of it depends on that pitch, and how much Nick wants to stay.

TL;DR Retainment is not a yes/no proposition, it often involves a lot of negotiation which can cover plenty of ground. Having Thompson on the books gives the Dogs a point of negotiation they didn't have before.
Wtf b
Haven’t you heard? $700k!
Which is at least $100k ‘overs’ according to Brady’s expert analysis :-).
Name the source please.... Bbc sauce on my nuggets is a given. Your toe jam is as well. Name it??

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Wtf b

Name the source please.... Bbc sauce on my nuggets is a given. Your toe jam is as well. Name it??
I was being facetious mate, based on the expert analysis and claims of @bradyk.
He can assist you with absolute proof of all NRL contract values and as an added bonus you’ll get his commentary on the % or $ value of ‘overs’ for every contract and why those overs had to be paid.

Me? I don’t know or claim to know what any player is on. Enjoy your nuggets :-).

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He can assist you with absolute proof of all NRL contract values and as an added bonus you’ll get his commentary on the % or $ value of ‘overs’ for every contract and why those overs had to be paid.

Me? I don’t know or claim to know what any player is on. Enjoy your nuggets :-).
I don't think anyone said absolute proof. The absolute proof is in the HQ's remember... The last part is just common sense to me and again being 100% exact doesn't matter as the principle still applies. You're meant to be wining and dining.

Doggone1975

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Red rooster nuggets... Very sub standard as usual

Lol fair enough... They were dry and nasty.
Wild turkey has me pumped bro.... I'm happy as a dog's supporter in mud....

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t get your point? Does that mean all teams that are used as a pathway for NRL players are better then a team in the Super League? CCup is mix of fringe NRL players, developing semi professional players and park footballers. The Super League is a fully professional competition with experienced hardened players it’s a no contest on what’s better.
The bloke rarely has a point! Trying to figure out this guys point is like trying to figure out algebra or pulling teeth, either way it’s extremely painful!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The bloke rarely has a point! Trying to figure out this guys point is like trying to figure out algebra or pulling teeth, either way it’s extremely painful!
Maybe I'm just too intelligent for you. I think this is a cop out response for disagreeing with me. Maths and English were polar opposite for me so maybe you're onto something!

Just on who you're quoting. I never said "NRL players are better than a team in the Super League". I said reserve grade is more of an indicator of how a player will perform in the NRL. Most if not all talent in the NRL comes through reserve grade. If anything Super League is where you end our career.

Last edited:

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I guess it depends what you think a marquee signing is. I don't see how he's going to attract top NRL talent.
He's not regarded as one of the best props in the world. He's the best prop in the Super League which is an inferior league to the NRL.
Hastings and Seizer for e.g. look like gods in the Super League.
You don’t see how his signing is going to attract top NRL talent, really? You really do have your head planted fair and square up your own backside don’t you! It’s no secret that the best halves in the comp prefer to play behind the best forwards in the comp ya dummy, because the forwards are the players that gain the best metres hence putting the halves into scoring and playmaking positions more regularly, thus making the job much easier for the marquee halves to do their job!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He was seeking an upgrade towards the end of last season/year. Raiders will have to meet in the middle otherwise I see him joining another club (similar to Matterson). People might have a go at him for doing so but he's doing it to support his family. There is a really heartwarming video piece of Bateman you can find.
He actually came out and rubbished those rumours about wanting to leave Canberra and the whole money issue though.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't know. Maybe Cronk? Tedesco? Just the best players in said position. You're taking a risk signing Latrell (with positional change) or Thompson and saying they're your marquee signing. Thompson is no where near a Haas or the best props in the NRL. MAYBE he can be but it's a risk. Also I don't see a world where Thompson attracts other top NRL talent. We're still in the same position recruitment wise with an extra player. That's the main thing for me.
Every waterfall starts with a drop of water, think about that mate, if it’s even possible for you to do so? I’m not sure going off your constant dribble.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You don’t see how his signing is going to attract top NRL talent, really? You really do have your head planted fair and square up your own backside don’t you! It’s no secret that the best halves in the comp prefer to play behind the best forwards in the comp ya dummy, because the forwards are the players that gain the best metres hence putting the halves into scoring and playmaking positions more regularly, thus making the job much easier for the marquee halves to do their job!
How is Thompson one of the best forwards in the NRL tho? He could be but at this stage he isn't. JWH, Taukeiaho, Bromwich, NAS, Papalii, Taupau and the list goes on are better (If you really want me to go through all the clubs I will but hopefully that explains my point). Also if we believe the rumoured 700k he's on he's on more money than almost all those players...

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
What are their requirements for marquee? How does it compare to the NRL. Can anyone be a marquee and it's up to the club to determine who it is? Can a Super League club make Michael
Lichaa a marquee ( :tonguewink: )?
Absolutely dripping with Autism, spewing out of every orifice lmao

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Absolutely dripping with Autism, spewing out of every orifice lmao
Explain how? You look very stupid. There are two important questions in there.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good on you for posting that mate because we know how critical you were in relation to Hill and his trips to the U.K. I don’t think they care so much about the election though. It’s a one horse race
Thanks Natboy. Yes I've definitely been very critical so I was so glad to see those trips come to fruition in the end. Yes the current board have no chance of being voted out but I'm sure they still wanted at least one decent signing to happen by now if not before as it will paint them in a good light in future.

When I watched the highlights of Thompson's Man of Match performance in the Super League Grand Final I didn't think much of his performance actually and couldn't see what all the fuss was about but since then I've seen some of his highlights from other games which show he can step, break tackles and he's pretty fast for a prop - 3 things that Tolman can't do. Tolman has to be surplus to our needs now and I hope we spend his decent money elsewhere - hopefully some of it on a 2 metre tall 110+kg young giant. We need a bit of size again in the forwards.

Last edited:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Personally wouldn't read too much into the 11-12 clubs things. Article has clearly been planted by club to create positivity, good on them. Done very well with this.

But at same time board, club, coach, players need to do a lot more before we can really say we've 'got out mojo back'

Good start tho
That’s the second time that’s been reported and after talking to agents I actually know I don’t doubt it. Of course a kid like Brady knows better but that’s what I’ve been told mate

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People on here always claim to know the price or deliberately bump up a price made up in their heads, so when said player plays a bit average they can go "definitely not worth ...... money"

Classic Kennel.
In other words - guessing! And then, having barely seen a bloke play, has him $200k over based on these guess's. Fucking hilarious.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks Natboy. Yes I've definitely been very critical so I was so glad see those trips come to fruition in the end. Yes the current board have no chance of being voted out but I'm sure they still wanted at least one decent signing to happen by now if not before as it will paint them in a good light in future.

If we paid 700K a season then I'm happy but if we paid "considerably" more a lot of fans would be unhappy with that including me. With UK players there's not so many leaks to the press about amounts so we may never find out how much cap he's signed up for unfortunately. I got a bit concerned we might have overspent when I read Hill quoted as saying Thompson is the best prop in the world.

When I watched the highlights of Thompson's Man of Match performance in the Super League Grand Final I didn't think much of his performance actually and couldn't see what all the fuss was about but since then I've seen some of his highlights from other games which show he can step, break tackles and he's pretty fast for a prop - 3 things that Tolman can't do. Tolman has to be surplus to our needs now and I hope we spend his decent money elsewhere - hopefully some of it on a 2 metre tall 110+kg young giant. We need a bit of size again in the forwards.
Don’t underestimate the impact that your letter to Andrew Hill had on this situation either. It’s no coincidence that we have since landed a big signing, with rumours of more to follow. There’s been a real increase in efficiency amongst management and recruitment staff ever since that letter landed at Bulldogs HQ and sent shockwaves through the joint. Well done Brad