News How the Bulldogs signed Super League star Luke Thompson

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
How much is his contract for??
Rumoured 700k. If you want the straight facts tho there were 11 or 12 clubs interested. St. Helen's offered Thompson an amount that would make him their highest paid player ever. Everyone except us, Titans and Warriors dropped off. Then I'll give you Bateman signed with the Raiders for 350k last year. As people have said unless you have the actual contract infront of you, something you can't actually get, technically everything is speculation and not 100%. I'd rather that than nothing and it's more likely that or thereabouts.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hill wasting more money, he could have just stayed home and watched some reserve grade. Probably wouldn't have to spend the big bucks on Sushi too, could have got a prized signature with a pie and a coke.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
a) I think we only need another three to four players to make the finals (realistically and be somewhat competitive when there). I don't think that is an entire new squad. b) We didn't struggle to keep anyone with our current squad. Retainment isn't our problem. c) We have to sign players as we have a salary cap to spend. The longer we leave it the less we have to pick from. I'm aware we can get players on contract for 2022, etc. for 2021. d) I react quickly so yes but you know I'm genuine with my responses. e) I have something to say for everything above so yes?
I suspect you are treating retainment too dichotomously. Retainment is a challenge for every club, every season. It is less of a problem for clubs that aren't making the finals, because they aren't going to have as many rivals lined up trying to poach their best players, but note that this is a relative statement, not an absolute. Let me ask you a question. Say Nick Meaney kills it at wing this season, scores 20 tries, 5 from long range, makes 10 try saving tackles, converts at 85%, etc. His agent comes in to talk about a contract extension. The agent argues that Nick is easily worth 500k a season. What can the club do to convince him to take less?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I suspect you are treating retainment too dichotomously. Retainment is a challenge for every club, every season. It is less of a problem for clubs that aren't making the finals, because they aren't going to have as many rivals lined up trying to poach their best players, but note that this is a relative statement, not an absolute. Let me ask you a question. Say Nick Meaney kills it at wing this season, scores 20 tries, 5 from long range, makes 10 try saving tackles, converts at 85%, etc. His agent comes in to talk about a contract extension. The agent argues that Nick is easily worth 500k a season. What can the club do to convince him to take less?
Say Ferguson is on 500k a year and has done it and more every season for the last so many years. Unless he has offers from rival clubs we determine how much he gets. If we lowball then he'll start to look elsewhere and then we'll have to do what I'm about to say next. Otherwise we have to meet in the middle somewhere. Players either join another club for more success or money so you have to be competitive with one or the other or both. That's why you see players like Matterson break contract. The club isn't willing to meet in the middle or have salary cap restrictions.

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why do people always gotta find the negatives in everything.
Best super league prop is coming to us. We are starting our rebuild stage strongly. Wheres all this negativity coming from?
Yous whinge about our “non existent recruitment” but whinge again when we sign someone decent? Haha fuck sake
100%

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To not rate Luke because he is playing in the UK is way of the mark in my opinion
The competition is a good standard with quite a few nrl players running around these days,just watch a few games
There has been no shortage of players transitioning from the UK to Aus with great success in recent times
To think a young guy like Luke has already dominated & reached great heights in that league is amazing
I’m really looking forward to see him run out in our colours
We are building

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
To not rate Luke because he is playing in the UK is way of the mark in my opinion
The competition is a good standard with quite a few nrl players running around these days,just watch a few games
There has been no shortage of players transitioning from the UK to Aus with great success in recent times
To think a young guy like Luke has already dominated & reached great heights in that league is amazing
I’m really looking forward to see him run out in our colours
We are building
I rate him but he isn't in the category that most people are putting him in. I see the same when people are placing their expectations for how we're going to go next season so I sort of get why. I'm looking forward to see him run out in our colours too! I saw a picture someone edited with him in our jersey and it was mint.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Can everyone please stop stirring up @bradyk its painful... anyway personal opinion I think he’s marque cause he’s an international for a tier 1 nation. $700k if true is fine for a guy who is regarded as one of the best in the world for his position and If you think Souths reportedly paid $1m for Arrow I’d consider that overs. And with Bateman... he wasn’t considered on Thommos level when Canberra signed him... and he also stirred the pot to get a release so his contract would get upgraded. At least with a $700k contract Thommo can’t really ask for an upgrade after one good year... all make sense to me.. reckon warriors would have offered more just quietly they have rumoured to throw some crazy offers out there.. family club values got it over the line for my mine. Hopefully it’s the same values that influences the Fox the same way.

Doggone1975

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Dichotomously?? Really??
Had to look it up.
Thanks for keeping it real Mr wordsmith..... I had to look it up lol

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Can everyone please stop stirring up @bradyk its painful... anyway personal opinion I think he’s marque cause he’s an international for a tier 1 nation. $700k if true is fine for a guy who is regarded as one of the best in the world for his position and If you think Souths reportedly paid $1m for Arrow I’d consider that overs. And with Bateman... he wasn’t considered on Thommos level when Canberra signed him... and he also stirred the pot to get a release so his contract would get upgraded. At least with a $700k contract Thommo can’t really ask for an upgrade after one good year... all make sense to me.. reckon warriors would have offered more just quietly they have rumoured to throw some crazy offers out there.. family club values got it over the line for my mine. Hopefully it’s the same values that influences the Fox the same way.
He does have four England caps. You have a different opinion for marquee and I'm not saying he isn't that (your definition, well maybe best in the world is a stretch). I'd personally rather upgrade him as it's less of a risk if he isn't what we think he is (a player isn't going to take a pay cut for not performing). I'm half baiting too don't worry. I know how my thoughts sometimes shake the Kennel (so me posting is baiting). I believe in what I'm saying so it's okay!

Doggone1975

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sensible post bro

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Say Ferguson is on 500k a year and has done it and more every season for the last so many years. Unless he has offers from rival clubs we determine how much he gets. If we lowball then he'll start to look elsewhere and then we'll have to do what I'm about to say next. Otherwise we have to meet in the middle somewhere. Players either join another club for more success or money so you have to be competitive with one or the other or both.
That pitch is going to end up costing you more money, or the player. In negotiations as a club you try to stay away from what other players may or may not be earning (no one is really supposed to know, remember?)

There are actually a lot of clues in the article that started this thread. I can guarantee you that in some point in this hypothetical pitch we are discussing, probably fairly early on, the club is going to start talking about the next few seasons, how Nick can be a part of it. They are going to talk about the players already contracted (which is where signings like Thompson come into it), why do you think CHN, DWZ, Jacko, and now Thompson are the players the club have contracted beyond 2021? What do they have in common? They are players that other players want to play next to. They are all leaders. Then they are going to say they like Nick, he fits in well, he has shown he has the ability to make it in first grade, but the cap means they have to be careful. They will then make an offer somewhat below what the agent initially asked for. Will Nick take the offer? A lot of it depends on that pitch, and how much Nick wants to stay.

TL;DR Retainment is not a yes/no proposition, it often involves a lot of negotiation which can cover plenty of ground. Having Thompson on the books gives the Dogs a point of negotiation they didn't have before.

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I rate him but he isn't in the category that most people are putting him in. I see the same when people are placing their expectations for how we're going to go next season so I sort of get why. I'm looking forward to see him run out in our colours too! I saw a picture someone edited with him in our jersey and it was mint.
How do you know what category he is in??
You stated the other day that you had never watched him..
All of a sudden you are an expert on what he is and isn’t ..
You come across as mildly intelligent,but you really do run your own story

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
That pitch is going to end up costing you more money, or the player. In negotiations as a club you try to stay away from what other players may or may not be earning (no one is really supposed to know, remember?)

There are actually a lot of clues in the article that started this thread. I can guarantee you that in some point in this hypothetical pitch we are discussing, probably fairly early on, the club is going to start talking about the next few seasons, how Nick can be a part of it. They are going to talk about the players already contracted (which is where signings like Thompson come into it), why do you think CHN, DWZ, Jacko, and now Thompson are the players the club have contracted beyond 2021? What do they have in common? They are players that other players want to play next to. They are all leaders. Then they are going to say they like Nick, he fits in well, he has shown he has the ability to make it in first grade, but the cap means they have to be careful. They will then make an offer somewhat below what the agent initially asked for. Will Nick take the offer? A lot of it depends on that pitch, and how much Nick wants to stay.

TL;DR Retainment is not a yes/no proposition, it often involves a lot of negotiation which can cover plenty of ground. Having Thompson on the books gives the Dogs a point of negotiation they didn't have before.
My main point on that was we were able to retain all those players without Thompson. Meaney will get what he's worth or slightly more. Otherwise he'll be going elsewhere. The club has its own opinion on what players are worth using their own squad, experience and what they've heard from other teams.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
He does have four England caps. You have a different opinion for marquee and I'm not saying he isn't that (your definition, well maybe best in the world is a stretch). I'd personally rather upgrade him as it's less of a risk if he isn't what we think he is (a player isn't going to take a pay cut for not performing). I'm half baiting too don't worry. I know how my thoughts sometimes shake the Kennel (so me posting is baiting). I believe in what I'm saying so it's okay!
Ok mate you must love it cause you are on a bit of a hiding here :tearsofjoy: There is some truth in what you are saying to a degree but I just don’t really think the club is paying overs... if they were they would have upped the offer for Api just to get a good spine player in. I think the club would pay on the higher side of fair market value to build the team we want but not blatant overs like we did with Foran.