News How the Bulldogs signed Super League star Luke Thompson

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Precisely. Don’t know. There’s no evidence that Cronk or Tedesco attracted each other - it’s all just speculation. And where have the club referred to Thommo as ‘marquee’? They haven’t.
I don't know was sarcastic. Just go through the best players in the NRL and write a list if you want. Fans have called him marquee (a guy responding to me said so himself). If "marquee" signings don't help attract other players then it's all money and how successful you're to each and every player. So I don't really get why it matters. Actually makes it worse for us.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Okay :D. John Bateman signs for the Raiders on 350k. We sign Thompson on what is rumoured to be 700k. Even if it was 150k over my expert valuation (which I doubt) it still doesn't add up to me. HE'S UNPROVEN IN THE NRL.
Where’s the evidence Bateman (also unproven in the NRL before last year) is on $350k? Probably in the same place as your evidence that Thommo is on $700k - in your mind!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Where’s the evidence Bateman (also unproven in the NRL before last year) is on $350k? Probably in the same place as your evidence that Thommo is on $700k - in your mind!
He was seeking an upgrade towards the end of last season/year.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/01/john-bateman-to-seek-upgrade-future-clouded-at-raiders/
Also NRL 360 ran with it.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/7fff8c944560c7a5b46e0e3d883c9534
Other (maybe re-post of one of the previous).
https://www.zerotackle.com/raiders-star-facing-uncertain-future-49215/

You're never going to see an actual players contract so you can't wait for that as it isn't coming ever. You can disregard everything if you want tho.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
So you know that the Raiders agreed to something published in the media and gossiped about on a footy talk show and you also know his new salary?

You just said it yourself - you’re never going to see the contract. So all you’re down to is speculation - and nothing else.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really don’t understand how people cannot be content with this young 24 year old and highly respected amongst many experts coming to our club.

The title of being called a marquee is just that,Luke is leaving home and backing himself to prove just how good he is in the NRL
Does it matter how many clubs were chasing his signature,it’s a great signing & massive step in the right direction as an organisation

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So you know that the Raiders agreed to something published in the media and gossiped about on a footy talk show and you also know his new salary?

You just said it yourself - you’re never going to see the contract. So all you’re down to is speculation - and nothing else.
And I'd rather that than nothing.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Was pretty confident that Thompson will go well in NRL, now am even more confident. This lad has the right stuff. Some blokes are gifted with incredible physical ability, but don't quite have the mentality (Idris), drive (Inu), values (too many deadbeats to name), or maturity (Haas, D. Fifita). Thompson has all of that in spades. Nothing in life is certain, but Thompson is low risk as a whole package. I'm tipping this guy is going to go better than Jammer, and one step further too.

The people on here who have been talking up the need for smart recruiting that focuses on potential signings who are quality people, not just quality players, are on the money. Other people who keep insisting on signing players purely based on a few games they've played and how they imagine they'd look in a dogs jersey need to shut up and let the club do its thing. The Thompson signing is open and shut proof that the people in charge have a bit of a clue about what they are doing.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Why do people always gotta find the negatives in everything.
Best super league prop is coming to us. We are starting our rebuild stage strongly. Wheres all this negativity coming from?
Yous whinge about our “non existent recruitment” but whinge again when we sign someone decent? Haha fuck sake

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
One of the most encouraging things about it is that it looks like when Hill and the club target a player they really go after a player they get their man most of the time. The only one they gave really missed out on was Api.
Interesting that they gave up an LM so quickly isn't it?

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Some of yous forget haas wasn’t any good until 2019
Did yous watch a couple of his 2018 games? He got knocked the fuck out from elliot and klemmer ahahaha?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Why do people always gotta find the negatives in everything.
Best super league prop is coming to us. We are starting our rebuild stage strongly. Wheres all this negativity coming from?
Yous whinge about our “non existent recruitment” but whinge again when we sign someone decent? Haha fuck sake
No. He'll be a good signing for us. We just need three to four more. I'm more negative due to people saying we don't need to pay overs but then sign Thompson who is unproven in the NRL for a rumoured 700k.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Some of yous forget haas wasn’t any good until 2019
Did yous watch a couple of his 2018 games? He got knocked the fuck out from elliot and klemmer ahahaha?
He played 40 minutes in 2018 and was 18 years old. I'm pretty sure he picked up a concussion in two of those games (he "played" three). I think reserve grade is more competitive and a bigger indicator than Super League. Maybe that hurts some people to hear.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
No. He'll be a good signing for us. We just need three to four more. I'm more negative due to people saying we don't need to pay overs but then sign Thompson who is unproven in the NRL for a rumoured 700k.
Gotta risk it to get the biscuit. Could end up being a million dollar player yous never know. I’m gunning for him he’s gonna rip the nrl up.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't know was sarcastic. Just go through the best players in the NRL and write a list if you want. Fans have called him marquee (a guy responding to me said so himself). If "marquee" signings don't help attract other players then it's all money and how successful you're to each and every player. So I don't really get why it matters. Actually makes it worse for us.
Signing and retaining the players we want for 2021 through 2023 is going to be easier with Thompson signed on. It will vary player to player, but in broad terms it will help. Anyone who says otherwise has no idea.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He played 40 minutes in 2018 and was 18 years old. I'm pretty sure he picked up a concussion in two of those games (he "played" three). I think reserve grade is more competitive than Super League. Maybe that hurts some people to hear.
Still got knocked out haha.
Could end up getting second year syndrome... yous never know

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Signing and retaining the players we want for 2021 through 2023 is going to be easier with Thompson signed on. It will vary player to player, but in broad terms it will help. Anyone who says otherwise has no idea.
We were able to retain almost everyone we wanted before he was signed and we all know our squad right now isn't good enough to be a realistic finals team.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yeah I’d love to know if we ever had legitimate interest in him and if they did why they dropped out.
We were interested in latrell as a centre
He told us he only wanted to play fullback. So we dropped out as we already had Dwz

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
That's the article/info I needed to read. All of my questions have been due to no evidence up until now of their ability to court and sign a marquee player. They locked in on the player they wanted, did the hard yards, didn't just let it fester, thought outside the box and got the signature. They did well, no doubt.

Of course this guy is a marquee player, fuk some of you would complain if Charilze Theron gave you a blowie. He will need to get use to the NRL but he is very solid and I'm stoked. Loving St Helens, we should enter into some form of brother/sister club arrangement with them. Surely other players lurking around will read that with interest too. I also hope that Hill and Lyne show similar interest to any player we are after and not just the big fish. Well done Dogs.