News ARL Scrap National Anthem for All Stars Match

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
One minute: free speech, free speech!

Next minute: Say, sing and think what we tell you to, or you’re being divisive.

This move negates any potential protest by players on the night, while also respecting their wishes not to participate.

Good commonsense decision.

Last edited:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Didn't work because that's all anyone is talking about and killing their ratings.
Lol the game hasn’t even been played yet, mate. You’re jumping the gun a bit talking about ratings.

If it’s ok for people who don’t agree with this decision to talk about it, it’s ok for people who don’t agree with forced singing of the anthem to express their views, or for athletes to choose not to sing it.

It’s only being talked about because certain people refuse to accept the decision and choose to bring their own politics into the debate. The same people who usually say politics have no place in sport. Go figure.

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I've lived in both NZ and Aus and both have the same faults just swap maoris and Aboriginals. Truth of the matter is, large majority of the minority put a bad stereotype over them all.

And as was said, politician's making special days or events to include them, has the potential to separate us more. I still don't understand why NZ has to have a dedicated Maori party in parliament. That's creating separation from the top down.

All these are stories for another day. Bottom line, you're paid to play footy, so play and leave all the other crap at home behind closed doors.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I dont like our national anthem but I sing it proudly either way as it's me buying into all Australians having a single song. End of the day, there's no perfect song, so I deal with it!
I disagree

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Lol the game hasn’t even been played yet, mate. You’re jumping the gun a bit talking about ratings.

If it’s ok for people who don’t agree with this decision to talk about it, it’s ok for people who don’t agree with forced singing of the anthem to express their views, or for athletes to choose not to sing it.

It’s only being talked about because certain people refuse to accept the decision and choose to bring their own politics into the debate. The same people who usually say politics have no place in sport. Go figure.
Same statement can be flipped back, go figure. Point is sport is sport and the other stuff can be spoken about in a more suitable platforms so people can just enjoy what is suppose to be recreational activities. Problem is the decision was made to suit the minority and not the majority.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not sure why people have a problem with this.

The All Stars game was started by an Aboriginal to bring more recognition to the Aboriginal NRL players. Many Aboriginals have an issue with the fact that the Australia was founded on invasion.

I personally have no problem with the national anthem and I think it actually is inclusive for all Australians, but this is an indigenous founded game so demanding that they hear something they don't like during their game is just shit.
Plus neither side is representing Australia as a nation (or nz for that matter)..

Personally, I'd only use the anthem in test matches (and maybe games like Anzac Day).

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Same statement can be flipped back, go figure. Point is sport is sport and the other stuff can be spoken about in a more suitable platforms so people can just enjoy what is suppose to be recreational activities. Problem is the decision was made to suit the minority and not the majority.
But removing the anthem only ruins the entertainment factor of the game for those who choose to let it....

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The Anthem was written in like 1984 so it wasn't the "invading anthem". It isn't that great but at this stage it's what we have. All they are doing is killing the fixture and a chance to celebrate their culture, with the overwhelming majority over it and not going to watch the game you can bet the broadcaster will drop it like yesterdays news in the future. Was just looking at a poll of 70% out of 1700 so far saying they disagree. It was started 53 mins ago. Anyways, I've said my piece, I won't watch it and I love the Morgan Freeman quote! We wouldn't be talking about it if they just played footy.
Yeah, the anthem part has always got me in a bit of two minds. It's honestly nothing to do with founding Australia but more to do with multiculturalism. But it wasn't written in 1984. That's a myth based on confusion.

It was accepted as the Australian National Anthem in 1984, but this was based on a plebiscite in 1977. The song itself was from 1878.

All that said, the plebiscite was a vote from all Australians including Aboriginal Australians.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The Anthem was written in like 1984 so it wasn't the "invading anthem". It isn't that great but at this stage it's what we have. All they are doing is killing the fixture and a chance to celebrate their culture, with the overwhelming majority over it and not going to watch the game you can bet the broadcaster will drop it like yesterdays news in the future. Was just looking at a poll of 70% out of 1700 so far saying they disagree. It was started 53 mins ago. Anyways, I've said my piece, I won't watch it and I love the Morgan Freeman quote! We wouldn't be talking about it if they just played footy.
It's actually about a hundred years older than that (But only became the anthem in 1984) :grinning:

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I dont like our national anthem but I sing it proudly either way as it's me buying into all Australians having a single song. End of the day, there's no perfect song, so I deal with it!

The Indigenous players collectively choosing to not buy into it only continues to separate us all.

my only thoughts are, if they don't want to sing the national anthem, why are they ok with wearing the green and gold?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I should start a petition to play ACDC songs at all non-world cup games.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
my only thoughts are, if they don't want to sing the national anthem, why are they ok with wearing the green and gold?
They're not. It's an all stars game, not an Australia v someone game.

SKY-DOG

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Remove the National anthem and the indigenous war dance.

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Next time it's naidoc week or whatever and I'm expected to watch a aboriginal ceremony I shall be turning my back and walking away as it is irrelevant to me and doesn't represent my ancestry... I used to pay attention out of respect but no more.....

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Do the majority of Indigenous people actually have an issue with the anthem? Or is it just a vocal minority? Genuinely curious.

I think the anthem sucks just because it is a crap song. But I don't really see why some Indigenous think it is offensive. Some people will never be happy whatever it is, same with the flag.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
One minute: free speech, free speech!

Next minute: Say, song and think what we tell you to, or you’re being divisive.

Thos move negates any potential protest by players on the night, while also respecting their wishes not to participate.

Good commonsense decision.
also it negates the suspicious people who were planning to make a list of all the people who didn't sing the national anthem

Im not talking about mental note, im talking pen and pad stuff