Premium Member
Reaction score
427 I fly to jap in 2 months still the odds are decent enough

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Listening to the Science Friday (SciFri) podcast where they discussed the Coronavirus with a couple of professors involved in microbiology, immunology, virology, and infectious diseases. Keep in mind that this was last Friday (Saturday our time). Here's a brief summary of some of the things they said:

- Coronavirus is acting more like a flu virus than a coronavirus. Previous coronaviruses had a very low infection rate. This one appears to have a much higher infection rate

- while they have less than 20,000 infected reported, due to a lack of testing kits and based on what we know of the virus, it's more likely that around 75,000-100,000 are now infected

- it has spread to every provenance in China and 20 other countries

- projections have it infecting every country with over 100,000 infected in each country in the next 6-12 months

- while the death rate is currently low (less than 2%), that's not an accurate death rate as it only counts deaths against those infected, not deaths against those recovered. It's too early to provide an accurate death rate as we only have around 200 dead and 200 who made a full recovery (50% at that time but numbers have changed since then)

- A vaccine will likely start testing in the next 3 months but is unlikely to go into full production for several years

- current anti-viral drugs will be tested soon to see if they can stop the spread

All in all they generally said that the media are underestimating how dangerous this could be, but it's still too early to say how bad it'll get.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Australian residents located on Xmas Island for 14 days after getting flown back home from China, have complained about cockroaches and slow internet speeds!

I must question if they r really Australians or have spent anytime here.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nearly 500 deaths now being reported.
Flew to NZ last week no one working at Sydney airport had masks on. Yesterday on return everybody working there has masks on and you can’t go through the electronic gates must line up and talk to immigration staff. Major change. Saw Chinese people with masks on took aside lined up and taken to an official room.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Flew to NZ last week no one working at Sydney airport had masks on. Yesterday on return everybody working there has masks on and you can’t go through the electronic gates must line up and talk to immigration staff. Major change. Saw Chinese people with masks on took aside lined up and taken to an official room.
Going to nz next month

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Wasn't this a man made virus created in a lab?

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going to nz next month
If they don't report any cases by then all o.k.

Just buy a surgical mask or an N95 mask if u can find any they were all sold out before I flew out just in case and ask the airline if masks are recommended on the plane, we were advised no, very small % had masks on plane or in NZ Auckland, mostly Chinese. No one in Bay of Islands wore masks.

Must admit to suspicion if around Chinese particularly on planes or in crowded places or anyone sneezing or coughing, human nature not racism.

I'm trying to cancel my trip in April staying overnight in Seoul and return with overnight in Shanghai along with a cruise and other flights around Europe.

AAMI travel insurance said no insurance allowed for pandemics, Expedia said too early to try and get refunds, Can't get onto Cruise Line or Airlines to get info as u want on hold forever.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just buy a surgical mask or an N95 mask if u can find any they were all sold out before I flew out just in case and ask the airline if masks are recommended on the plane, we were advised no, very small % had masks on plane or in NZ Auckland, mostly Chinese. No one in Bay of Islands wore masks.

Must admit to suspicion if around Chinese particularly on planes or in crowded places or anyone sneezing or coughing, human nature not racism.

I'm trying to cancel my trip in April staying overnight in Seoul and return with overnight in Shanghai along with a cruise and other flights around Europe.

AAMI travel insurance said no insurance allowed for pandemics, Expedia said too early to try and get refunds, Can't get onto Cruise Line or Airlines to get info as u want on hold forever.
My Mum's cruise in April is already re-routed to avoid China and Hong Kong. Best start a paper trail with insurance, cruise company and airlines to cancel any sectors of your travels to China/HK (and likely Taiwan). Surprised this hasn't occurred for you. Good luck!

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
My Mum's cruise in April is already re-routed to avoid China and Hong Kong. Best start a paper trail with insurance, cruise company and airlines to cancel any sectors of your travels to China/HK (and likely Taiwan). Surprised this hasn't occurred for you. Good luck!
Bit late for these guys:

Aussies among 10 cases of coronavirus on Diamond Princess cruise ship
Two Australians are among 10 passengers who have tested positive to the coronavirus on the quarantined Diamond Princess.

Lauren McMah and Reuters
ReutersFEBRUARY 5, 20202:27PM
  • Ten passengers test positive for coronavirus on cruise ship
A Diamond Princess cruise ship, now quarantined near Tokyo, is carrying ten infected passengers.

Two Australians are among 10 people who have tested positive for coronavirus on a cruise ship now docked off the coast of Japan.

Passengers and crew on the Diamond Princess were tested after it emerged a previous passenger, who had left the ship in Hong Kong, was confirmed to have the virus.

Princess Cruises says of the 10 confirmed cases, two are Australian, three are from Japan, another three are from Hong Kong, and one is American. They have been taken to local hospitals.

A crew member from the Philippines has also tested positive.

Japan’s Health Minister Katsunobu Kato said of the 273 people tested so far, only 31 results had been returned, with 10 confirmed cases — suggesting there may be more confirmed cases to come.

READ MORE: Follow our coronavirus updates

There are 223 Australians among the 2666 passengers and 1045 crew on the Diamond Princess, The Australian reports.

The ship is docked at the Japanese port of Yokohama, near Tokyo, where it ended its 14-day voyage early on Monday. Passengers and crew will be quarantined for two weeks.

The health checks came after it emerged an 80-year-old man who flew to Japan and boarded the Diamond Princess in Yokohama on January 20 was confirmed to have the virus.

FROM OUR PARTNERS

Your seven day forecast during this summer, watch Sky News Weather. For more

The man left the ship in Hong Kong on January 25, Carnival Japan said.

Photographs and video posted on Twitter by a passenger showed masked health workers clad in blue plastic gowns walking down empty corridors as well as views of deserted lounges and a barren deck.

だぁ(On board the Diamond Princess / 乗船中)@daxa_tw

https://twitter.com/daxa_tw/status/1224338339467276290

検疫始まりましたー それぞれの部屋で体温はかるっぽい。そしてDMとか直接とかちょこちょこ怒られているw アップするなと #ダイヤモンドプリンセス #コロナウイルス

https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1224338339467276290
Guests awaiting screening were asked to stay in their cabins, where they answered a questionnaire and had their temperatures taken.

Some family members expressed concern about relatives trapped on board.

“Unaffected people can easily say ‘keep them out’ but my whole family wants my precious sister to come home safe,” wrote one Twitter user.

Carnival Japan, a unit of British-American cruise operator Carnival Corp, confirmed the turnaround of the ship had been delayed by about 24 hours for authorities to review the health of all 2666 guests and 1045 crew on board. About half of those on board were Japanese, a company spokeswoman said.

Kazuhiro Nogi/AFP

Photos: Coronavirus found on Diamond Princess cruise ship
An ambulance departs the Japan Coast Guard base in Yokohama on February 5, 2020 after bringing patients from the Diamond Princess cruise ship.

Carnival’s Princess Cruises Japan later said cruises scheduled to depart from Yokohama on Tuesday and the western Japanese port of Kobe on Thursday would be cancelled because of delays related to the coronavirus checks.

Once everyone’s health was checked, those with fevers or who felt unwell would be tested, after which authorities would decide whether to let people leave the ship, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told a news conference in Tokyo.

Public broadcaster NHK said authorities were checking whether the Hong Kong man who later tested positive had disembarked when the ship docked in Kagoshima, southwest Japan.

Japanese health officials are conducting extensive medical checks on all 3700 passengers and crew of the cruise ship. Picture: AP/Eugene HoshikoSource:AP

NHK also said that when the ship made a stop in Naha on Japan’s southern island of Okinawa, about 10 passengers got off after checks showed no passengers had fever or other symptoms.

Also on Tuesday, Japan expanded the scope of its screening for the virus generally after some people who had not met criteria for testing were later found to be infected.

Opposition parties and some experts have criticised the government for responding too slowly to the risks following the outbreak of the coronavirus in the central Chinese city of Wuhan. So far, the epidemic that has claimed more than 420 lives in mainland China.

Chinese nationals make up 30 per cent of all tourists travelling to Japan and nearly 40 per cent of the total amount foreign visitors spent last year, according to an industry survey.

A small boat is pictured next to the Diamond Princess as it sits anchored in quarantine off the port of Yokohama. Picture: STR/JIJI PRESS/AFPSource:AFP

Japan has 20 confirmed coronavirus cases, and of these, 17 people have been in Wuhan.

On Saturday, Japan began refusing entry to foreigners who have been in Hubei province, where Wuhan is located, in the past 14 days as well as people with passports issued in Hubei.

Suga said that as of February 3, eight foreigners had been barred from entering Japan.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told a parliamentary panel the government would be flexible about expanding areas in China from which visitors would be banned, depending on trends in China.

Some countries, including Australia, New Zealand and the United States, have denied entry to all foreign nationals travelling from China.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Lol I was meant to be in seuol April 9th but now goin Tokyo direct we could of had Korean kennel

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
565 now dead " Chinese numbers" I think I may shit can Chinatown in Yokohama when I'm over there if it gets a lot worse

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
I work at the international airport and I saw a hazmat team running around yesterday tbh, that's not what you want to see

Status
Not open for further replies.