News Cashed-up Bulldogs set to make Josh Addo-Carr a ‘priority target

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
So if I was Meaney, Okunbor, Montoya, Crichton or TKatoa I'd be reading this and thinking seriously about where I need to look for my next gig. Especially the 2 (Montoya and TKatoa) off contract this year.

Go Dogs

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hooper knows shit. Every club in the NRL would be interested in the fox.
I hope he comes, but there are more than a couple of clubs interested.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can Foran just retire already, quite evident we're not gonna keep him beyond this season.... doubt any club would pick him up.
i think we are a chance at resigning him. It would be a good deal on around $400k 1 year with the option to extend depending on how he goes. He was awesome for us late last year

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In all seriousness I can see roosters trying to justify his signature with Morris and Ryan hall at the end of their contracts...

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
i think we are a chance at resigning him. It would be a good deal on around $400k 1 year with the option to extend depending on how he goes. He was awesome for us late last year
It's tough call, he adds so much value when he is playing BUT doesn't add much when he isn't playing. His injuries are not really linked to each other much, it's not like he keeps busting an ACL every time he plays. Plus they are impact injuries, especially the syndesmosis and the dislocated shoulder, not really wear and tear injuries that older players typically suffer from. Ascertaining a value is the difficult part and it highlights another problem with the Salary Cap, it's not practical to put a player on match payments like we used to do pre Cap. If they don't play they don't get paid but the NRL includes the whole season of possible match payments in the CAP regardless.

Go Dogs

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just hope we don’t go overboard. I’d love to have him but I don’t see him as a necessity. I’m happy with Smith and Meaney to be honest. Both young players who are more then capable. We can’t sign him for more then 500K a season. No point having him on the wing with shit halves.

Though in saying that he burst on the scene in a shit tigers team. He has speed. And you can’t teach speed.

If happily take him. But not break the bank. Don’t be stupid and offer him 800K a season.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Here we go again with the FOX teasing lol.

seems we are starting to get our shot together though and may be able to snatch some big names to be a top 4 side again very very soon. Starting to get excited mind you :grinning:

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if I was Meaney, Okunbor, Montoya, Crichton or TKatoa I'd be reading this and thinking seriously about where I need to look for my next gig. Especially the 2 (Montoya and TKatoa) off contract this year.

Go Dogs
I don’t think they even need to read any articles regarding new recruitment
The minute that they were told there was only a 1 year extension on offer
pretty much sent a clear message
There is going to be competition to hold down a spot & mediocre performances just aren’t good enough
Paul Dunn mentioned recently that the slow start was not acceptable and everyone is under the spot light,no doubt certain players will be cut.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Foran will not be signed at the end of the year unless he takes a big pay cut.
Na Foran is going to be seeking another 1m+ contract... he obviously knows he's going to have a take a massive (at least half) pay cut to continue playing.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
It will be between roosters, panders and us unless sounds pull a rabbit out of their arse

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
How do Souths still have the money? Exactly how much was Burgess on?

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he comes on a good deal then yes. Club shouldn’t fall into the trap of paying overs for a winger. We did pay extra for Brett Morris to play fullback and sadly he was injured for a good part of his time at the dogs and took a chunk of the cap

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cashed-up Bulldogs set to make Josh Addo-Carr a ‘priority target’

The Bulldogs are in the race for the signature of Storm flyer Josh Addo-Carr, with the cashed up club set to join the Rabbitohs and the Panthers in making a play for the Origin winger.
James Hooper believes the Rabbitohs are well in the mix with the Panthers, but tipped the Bulldogs as potential suitors due to their improved salary cap situation.
“The South Sydney Rabbitohs have been all the rage over the course of the summer that they are interested,” Hooper told Fox Sports News.
“Behind the scenes there certainly have been some discussions between people representing Josh and South Sydney powerbrokers.
“I wouldn’t be surprised if the Penrith Panthers are a bit of a smoky there.”
At 24, Addo-Carr is entering the prime of his career and already has 84 first grade games, six NSW Blues appearances and two Tests for the Kangaroos to his name.
It makes him one of the most sought after signatures in the NRL heading into the 2021 season when his deal with the Storm finishes up.
Hooper believes the Bulldogs will be in a better financial position than both the Rabbitohs and the Panthers, particularly once Kieran Foran’s contract expires at the end of 2020.
“I know that the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs have also had meetings in relation to Josh,” Hooper said.
“They certainly have him as a priority target and they will be cashed up on the back of most likely Kieran Foran will finish with the Bulldogs at the end of this season, so there is a million dollars plus.
“They signed Luke Thompson, so if they could get Josh Addo-Carr they are certainly starting to rebuild nicely.”
So we will resign Foran and not have enough change for Addo Carr... watch

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have been a supporter of Kieren Foran since he joined but I will be glad when his contract with the Dogs is up, done and dusted. What really annoys me is that every time an article is written and the Dogs are mentioned words like cashed up and war chest are just thrown out there like we're just every player managers cash cow. Now I don't know the financial standings of our club or our cap and I'm not into guessing but when it comes to approaching a player like Josh Addo-Carr I believe our club should play the price is right and NOT OVER PAY. I'm all for having speed in our back-line and the fox would surly add to that but I'm not that comfortable paying spine money for a winger. Not unless that winger has an "S" on his chest when he plays and is a mild mannered reporter working for the metropolitan newspaper off the field. Just my 2 cents carry on :grinning:

I mean... Why?

I can understand as he joined, but now? Last year?

The guy is a cancer on our cap, and a reminder of how far we've fallen as a club

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get it done !!! The Fox an Thompson in our team next year.. all clubs will fear us.
The way we finished last year, all other teams should be very wary of the dogs...