Official Luke Thompson Signs for 2021

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Thats what josh massoud reported back in 2014, 3 years and close to 1M.
Back in those days (the years of the heavily back ended contract) it could have been $1m over 3 years, being $200k the first year, $300k the second year and $500k the third year. So from a discussion perspective is the player considered to be on $333k a year (the average) or $500k (the last year)?

Just another problem with guessing a player’s contract value, at least until the heavily back ended contracts are flushed, this year being close to the last for us.

Go Dogs

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tolman was one of our best last year. Another good year this year and a short contract extension isn’t out of the equation.

8. Tolman
10. Thompson

15. Napa
16. To’omaga/RFM

That’s a prop rotation I could more than live with.
Not the biggest starting props. We had probs with graham and tolman. Didnt have any momentum built up in first 2 hit ups.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The year is 2021.
Twin turbo reckons we should have over 4M to spend
If you are going to quote me please do it accurately, what I said was the players (I listed them) that are off contract this year I guess would be on, say, around $4.7m, less Thompson on another guess of, say, $700k which leaves, say, $4m. Obviously we are going to resign some of those players coming off contract this year and maybe sign some new ones and upgrade some existing ones. So there almost certainly won’t be $4m to spend in 2021.

My point was that there should still be some room in whatever is left in our 2021 cap to sign 2 or 3 “decent” NRL level players, but it will require signing some on the NRL minimum to make up the mandated 30.

To clarify, what that means is it’s very difficult (if not impossible) to fit in 3 or 4 “gun” players on $700k plus (that some are suggesting) whilst also meeting the NRL 30 players requirement. Hence some realistic expectations on what can be achieved for 2021 would be nice. For example there’s likely not enough Cap space for Fifita, Xerri, JAC and Grant so we need to stop day dreaming and get some realism.

Go Dogs

Malla

Reaction score
Tolman is off contract after this season isn't he?? Looks like he may be the one that we let go.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I am talking about 2021.
Carr, xerri, fifita.
Who would rather let go , Elliott and tolman, and get fifita.??..thats a no brainer for most on the kennel.

Rumour has it the league's clubs grant to the football club will be reduced by 1 million bux this year and beyond
As well as both boards do not see eye to eye.
Any truth to this?
I would have thought that the dnb would have power over the league's club board?
For whatever reason if true, one would think this would put a major dent in the finances, so we don't care about a major sponsor right?
Doesn't make sense.
A sponsor is coming and so are more signings for 2021. Surely your contacts would tell you that

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
A sponsor is coming and so are more signings for 2021. Surely your contacts would tell you that
So too is the moon tonight. Why do people here state the obvious?

“More news of signings to come this year”

You heard it here first :unamused:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
So too is the moon tonight. Why do people here state the obvious?

“More news of signings to come this year”

You heard it here first :unamused:
Teddy is saying they aren’t.
Thanks for the terrific reply

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Tolman is off contract after this season isn't he?? Looks like he may be the one that we let go.
The following are off contract this year;
Cogger, Doorey, Elliott, RFM, Foran, Harding, Harper, Holland, TKatoa, Montoya, Sue, Tass, Tolman, Wakeham and Winters-Chang.
So there are other options aside from Tolman, who I suspect will be retained on a 1 or maybe 2 year contract. If he wants more then he might give ESL a go for a 3 year contract, but I suspect not given the age of his children.

Go Dogs

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
TBH honest even if we did pay 700K for Thompson, I consider that a bargain due to the current climate of the player market and the price elite players are receiving.

If Arrow and Klemmer are on 1 million .. we stole Thompson at 700k..

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope he has the same ranga rage our beloved jammer had... Run again son!

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's hope there is enough room for xerri, jac and one other.
That would bring it to 22 or 23 players on contract, with approx another 2M for the remaining 7 spots to be filled.
We should consider only extensions for 12 months for any current players to keep them on their toes.
If you are going to quote me please do it accurately, what I said was the players (I listed them) that are off contract this year I guess would be on, say, around $4.7m, less Thompson on another guess of, say, $700k which leaves, say, $4m. Obviously we are going to resign some of those players coming off contract this year and maybe sign some new ones and upgrade some existing ones. So there almost certainly won’t be $4m to spend in 2021.

My point was that there should still be some room in whatever is left in our 2021 cap to sign 2 or 3 “decent” NRL level players, but it will require signing some on the NRL minimum to make up the mandated 30.

To clarify, what that means is it’s very difficult (if not impossible) to fit in 3 or 4 “gun” players on $700k plus (that some are suggesting) whilst also meeting the NRL 30 players requirement. Hence some realistic expectations on what can be achieved for 2021 would be nice. For example there’s likely not enough Cap space for Fifita, Xerri, JAC and Grant so we need to stop day dreaming and get some realism.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am talking about 2021.
Carr, xerri, fifita.
Who would rather let go , Elliott and tolman, and get fifita.??..thats a no brainer for most on the kennel.

Rumour has it the league's clubs grant to the football club will be reduced by 1 million bux this year and beyond
As well as both boards do not see eye to eye.
Any truth to this?
I would have thought that the dnb would have power over the league's club board?
For whatever reason if true, one would think this would put a major dent in the finances, so we don't care about a major sponsor right?
Doesn't make sense.
With all due respect I think you have been getting feed bullshit for quite a long time now. You said there was definitely going to be a rival ticket at the election and there isn’t. Then it changed to a rival ticket pushing for a EGM three months after the election that doesn’t even make sense.

The by-laws of the club make it impossible for the Leagues Club to cut funding it’s the only club set up like that in the NRL so who ever is telling you it’s being cut is wrong. The Football Club always controls the Leagues Club thanks to the way Bullfrog set it up.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Righteo mate.
Ps: I'm hearing we paid 900k for Thompson.
Thoughts?
Didn’t think it was that much but either way I’m very happy with the buy.
The first one is always the hardest as you know

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't believe anything the media are saying re price tag.. one minute it's 700, next it's 8, 9, etc

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't believe anything the media are saying re price tag.. one minute it's 700, next it's 8, 9, etc
Foran was reported at 600k by some outlets and now he’s anywhere between 1-1.2