Official Luke Thompson Signs for 2021

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is going to be a massive help for Napa he just isn't cut out to be the leader of the pack but playing second fiddle to Thompson will relieve a lot of pressure on him.

If Renouf can step up we will have a great prop rotation.
I agree. Napa can be a lot more aggressive and he'll feel more confident to do so if playing with a prop partner with a bit of mongrel in him which Thompson appears to have. Surely the club will try to move on Tolman. We should only retain him if he's happy to take a big pay cut. I hope the club doesn't feel they owe him and waste money re-signing him they could spend on a good up and coming player. Would be good to get a young giant. We need a bit more size.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally a dominant front rower! Not one that just makes metres like Klemmer, or one who looks scary but isn't like Napa, but one can genuinely intimidate and out-muscle opposition. No team wins a premiership without one. Great signing for the club and whoever was involved.

Still need to fix our speed out of dummy half and first/second receiver, but in the spirit of one step at a time, this is very exciting step.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Seems to have great hands and footwork a great signing

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
pretty sure i read that thompson actually came through the junior grades as a centre and then transitioned into the forwards which would explain his pace and his smaller size for a prop. He can seriously motor for a solid guy and his footwork is very good. Its hard for me to remember when ive been this excited for a signing!

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
not sure if already posted but some words from Holbrook (former St Helens and now Titans Coach) on Thompson:

Bulldogs signing Luke Thompson's former coach - Titans boss Justin Holbrook - believes the English star will be a revelation for Canterbury in 2021. The Bulldogs stunned the NRL world by landing Thompson's prized signature on Tuesday, beating the Rabbitohs, Warriors and Titans to the punch.

And the man who knows more about Thompson than anyone in the NRL - Holbrook - couldn't have had higher praise for the 24-year-old.

"He's not your traditional ball playing English forward," Holbrook told the Herald.

"What he is, is is a dynamic ball carrier, he's a direct ball carrier and he's very fit."

Thompson has earned a reputation for playing big minutes in the Super League - a competition he dominated under Holbrook's tutelage.

The new Titans coach stopped short of declaring Thompson the best prop in the world but did declare he was the best prop in the Super League.

"He's definitely the best prop in the Super League," Holbrook said.

"I'm not sure about the world - there are so many good props in our game at the moment - but without doubt he is the best prop in the Super League."

What Thompson isn't however, is the next Sam Burgess.

"He's not in the same mould as Sam," Holbrook said.

"He's more a guy who leads by his actions on field. Sam was a vocal leader as well.

"They're both exceptional players but he's different in that sense."

also note in the same article - Thompson will join Canterbury for the 2021 season, having put pen to paper on a three-year deal believed to be worth about $800,000 per season.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thompson signing will help us get others send a statement that were on the way up

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Thompson signing will help us get others send a statement that were on the way up
The best prop in the Super League that has no experience in the NRL doesn't do that. Unless you mean attracting more Super League talent. Thompson isn't a marquee signing and we need a lot more. Hopefully we can over perform again this year. That's the most important thing for us regarding attracting talent if we're not going to use money to our advantage (maybe we did with Thompson?).

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The best prop in the Super League that has no experience in the NRL doesn't do that. Unless you mean attracting more Super League talent. Thompson isn't a marquee signing and we need a lot more.
Shit you’re hard to please mate. You have rocks in your head if you think that sort of player doesn’t attract other players to the club. Even just the fact that we got him when 11 clubs were interested is a great sign

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Shit you’re hard to please mate. You have rocks in your head if you think that sort of player doesn’t attract other players to the club. Even just the fact that we got him when 11 clubs were interested is a great sign
11 clubs weren't interested (I love how you pick and choose what bit of the media you believe to suit your agenda). Two of the other three clubs interested signed other targets which are both better and more proven than Thompson. The other were the Warriors? He's a good/decent signing but nothing more at this stage. I don't see any world where he attracts top or emerging NRL players and makes them sign for less.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
11 clubs weren't interested (I love how you pick and choose what bit of the media you believe). Two of the other three clubs interested signed other targets which are both better and more proven than Thompson. The other were the Warriors? He's a good/decent signing but nothing more at this stage.
That’s crap mate just be happy for once.
Even the most negative posters on here like Marley & Bulldogs09 were happy about this signing. Cheer up! Coming from the king of media salary figures it’s a stretch to say I pick & choose what I believe

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
That’s crap mate just be happy for once.
Even the most negative posters on here like Marley & Bulldogs09 were happy about this signing. Cheer up! Coming from the king of media salary figures it’s a stretch to say I pick & choose what I believe
I'm happy we've signed him I haven't said otherwise? You've told me before you don't believe the media and rather disregard it completely.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm happy we've signed him I haven't said otherwise? You've told me before you don't believe the media and rather disregard it completely.
If this is you happy I’d hate see how you were when we didn’t sign Harry Grant

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
hes definately a marquee signing. you would only have to look at St Helens comments to see how upset they are at losing him. He may be untried in the NRL but the best forwards in the NRL the last few years have predominately been english imports that played in the super league before (Graham,Burgess',Bateman, Whitehead ect) and he is the best prop over there at the moment. Im backing him to replicate that over here. He will be a vital part of our team in 2021 which hopefully sees improved results, meaning our club is more attractive to lure top talent

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If this is you happy I’d hate see how you were when we didn’t sign Harry Grant
Over it pretty quickly to be honest. It was a massive miss considering what we need and what was available.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
hes definately a marquee signing. you would only have to look at St Helens comments to see how upset they are at losing him. He may be untried in the NRL but the best forwards in the NRL the last few years have predominately been english imports that played in the super league before (Graham,Burgess',Bateman, Whitehead ect) and he is the best prop over there at the moment. Im backing him to replicate that over here. He will be a vital part of our team in 2021 which hopefully sees improved results, meaning our club is more attractive to lure top talent
So it helps our chances in recruitment for 2021? We're not going to get to see him play until then.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
1/20

Long way to go.

Who is going to score our points?

There is value in patience apparently.
Geez you’d be fun at parties Teddy.
Steaks overdone, people boring, weather crap - and apart from that, it sucked.

Not sure how you get 1/20 when there’s only 11 spots available for the 2021 squad, at least 5 of which I think will be retained from the existing squad so let’s call it 1/6 (it never was 20 remember). Plenty of time for the ABC (Awesome Board of Canterbury) to get another 5 players in the next 12 months.

PS: Hope you enjoyed starring in your own movie and your popcorn after your main course of humble pie :-).

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The reported 800k would be steep. Hopefully it's closer to 700k. But considering his pedigree, he'd ultimately prove to be worth the extra money if that's what he's on..

Either way it's a great signing and a statement of intent by the club.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Over it pretty quickly to be honest. It was a massive miss considering what we need and what was available.
How is it a miss when someone stays at their own club? If he signed with the Eels I might understand your point, but I’m afraid with retention I don’t at all.