Official Andrew Ryan to mentor the Bulldogs at the Perth Nines

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
I hope we send a young team over. Let em dip their feet in. They'll be better for the experience.

cyborg66

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
just shows the bulldogs don't take the 9's seriously

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
just shows the bulldogs don't take the 9's seriously
I’m interested to see if other clubs do it or just the three of us who have announced it so far

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m interested to see if other clubs do it or just the three of us who have announced it so far
Kurt Gidley is playing for the Knights too. So that’s 4 so far bringing in ring ins.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Kurt Gidley is playing for the Knights too. So that’s 4 so far bringing in ring ins.
Ok cool that’s a quarter.
I wonder if the NRL encouraged it to generate interest of the coaches all agreed between themselves at a meeting to pick one

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Clearly, we’re not taking it too seriously.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'd suggest not many are taking it that seriously.

Go Dogs
Just an observation.
I don’t give a shit. I’d send only “legends” if I could.
I see no reason to expose the players to risk, before the season proper.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Just an observation.
But isn't it much the same as opposed sessions, where Jackson and RFM were injured? Or pre season trial games where injuries are not uncommon? Every time they put studs on grass they risk injury and to me 9's looks a little less of an injury risk due to the reduced numbers in gang tackles.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
But isn't it much the same as opposed sessions, where Jackson and RFM were injured? Or pre season trial games where injuries are not uncommon? Every time they put studs on grass they risk injury and to2 me 9's looks a little less of an injury risk due to the reduced numbers in gang tackles.

Go Dogs
But the payoff isn’t there.
Trials are a necessary evil.
9’s is a vastly different game offensively, and even more so defensively.
Apart from a small morale boost if you do well, there is very little to be gained.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
But isn't it much the same as opposed sessions, where Jackson and RFM were injured? Or pre season trial games where injuries are not uncommon? Every time they put studs on grass they risk injury and to2 me 9's looks a little less of an injury risk due to the reduced numbers in gang tackles.

Go Dogs
If players get injured in pre-season games or opposed sessions I can live with that at least those are legitimate building blocks towards to season.

The Nines is just a hit and giggle that doesn't really give much benefit other then giving young players some experience in front of a crowd.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
But the payoff isn’t there.
Trials are a necessary evil.
9’s is a vastly different game offensively, and even more so defensively.
Apart from a small morale boost if you do well, there is very little to be gained.
If players get injured in pre-season games or opposed sessions I can live with that at least those are legitimate building blocks towards to season.
The Nines is just a hit and giggle that doesn't really give much benefit other then giving young players some experience in front of a crowd.
Exactly, 9's is a "hit & giggle" with less defence being played, not a lot of 4 in a tackle going on, the payers know it and play accordingly. In comparison trials can be vicious with players trying to cement their spot, prove their worth, that they are up to NRL standard, ready for the big time. This leads them to overstretch in both attack and defence.

Go Dogs

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just an observation.

100%.. imagine losing one of your better players in a competition that will be featuring the likes of Kurt Gidley, and retired AFL players

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Exactly, 9's is a "hit & giggle" with less defence being played, not a lot of 4 in a tackle going on, the payers know it and play accordingly. In comparison trials can be vicious with players trying to cement their spot, prove their worth, that they are up to NRL standard, ready for the big time. This leads them to overstretch in both attack and defence.

Go Dogs
The thing is though the Nines aren’t necessary while the pre-season including trials and opposed sessions is. I hope we do the bare minimum requirements at the Nines.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The thing is though the Nines aren’t necessary while the pre-season including trials and opposed sessions is. I hope we do the bare minimum requirements at the Nines.
They are "compulsory" though, exactly who has to play and what the rules are I don't know. Since there are a number of ring ins ie; non NRL contracted players, it's possible that 9's match payments and/or winning bonuses are not included in the Salary Cap. So could be a way to slip a few dollars to players we want to keep. without stretching our Cap.

Go Dogs