News Another write up on Thompson signing

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I would love to see Jackson move to lock, though i get the feeling with a couple of injuries he has sustained to his shoulder, it would be a struggle for him to play week in week out in the middle.

I would have a crack at Jack Wighton and Tyson Frizell who are both off contract this year.

I think a Wighton/Wakeham combo would be quite dynamic and a forward pack consisting of - Thompson, Napa, Frizell, Jackson, To'omaga, CHN, Stimson would be up there with the best.

I am a fan of RFM, but sadly it looks like he is consistently going to be injured.

If we could nab Frizell, there would be no reason to re-sign RFM, Elliott & Tolman
Jackson would get through pretty much the same amount of work in the middle as he does on an edge, just more per minute.

I just can't see how Jackson doesn't move to lock now, surely Stimson and CHN are on the edges otherwise I don't really see the point in the Stimson signing. We also signed Britt who looks far better on an edge than through the middle where he's bog average.

Thompson does look suited to lock imo but we probably need him more at prop. Probably doesn't matter too much I guess as good coaching will allow certain players to get into certain positions no matter the number on their back

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Still need a Fisher Harris with Napa and RT or Tolman and we have a premiership winning front row.
JFH up front with Thompson starting and Napa/Renouf on the bench would be very nice. Would still prefer Vaughan or NAS over JFH... But if the CHN connection can entice him soon then I wouldn't knock him back.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
JFH up front with Thompson starting and Napa/Renouf on the bench would be very nice. Would still prefer Vaughan or NAS over JFH... But if the CHN connection can entice him soon then I wouldn't knock him back.
Vaughans a gun but his age is deterring and NAS would be suspended every week at the dogs.

JFH has a BIG future ahead and that prop rotation is premiership worthy.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Vaughans a gun but his age is deterring and NAS would be suspended every week at the dogs.

JFH has a BIG future ahead and that prop rotation is premiership worthy.
Adding JFH to Napa and Thompson could potentially be falling into the old Des trap of having way too much money invested in the pack. That would be close to $2 million on a front row it’s too much money.

Packstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Jackson would get through pretty much the same amount of work in the middle as he does on an edge, just more per minute.

I just can't see how Jackson doesn't move to lock now, surely Stimson and CHN are on the edges otherwise I don't really see the point in the Stimson signing. We also signed Britt who looks far better on an edge than through the middle where he's bog average.

Thompson does look suited to lock imo but we probably need him more at prop. Probably doesn't matter too much I guess as good coaching will allow certain players to get into certain positions no matter the number on their back
If Jacko was to play the full 80 at lock he would be doing alot more work than playing 80 on an edge.

I agree Jackson should be moved to the middle, though definitely not 80min week in week out.

From what i saw of Britt at the rabbits, i was not that impressed but i hope the kid goes well for us

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Adding JFH to Napa and Thompson could potentially be falling into the old Des trap of having way too much money invested in the pack. That would be close to $2 million on a front row it’s too much money.
I knowwwww it burns me. I was hoping we could sort out the prop rotation for under 2mil but when you consider the cap is 9.8 this yr you can probably stretch it out a bit..

Napa - 650k
Thompson 750K <<<assumption
JFH - 650k
RT - 500k

$2.5ish leaves you with around 7.3 mil for everyone else...

I don't know im just throwing up numbers and suggestions and could be ridiculously out but yeah seems ok for a potential premiership winning front row.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If Jacko was to play the full 80 at lock he would be doing alot more work than playing 80 on an edge.

I agree Jackson should be moved to the middle, though definitely not 80min week in week out.

From what i saw of Britt at the rabbits, i was not that impressed but i hope the kid goes well for us
I wouldn't play Jackson for 80 and probably wouldn't play any middle forward for 80 unless a few things aligned or circumstances required it. I'd much rather sustain a high intensity through the middle with frequent rotations.

Yh I'm not really impressed with the Britt signing.and I'm convinced if his name wasn't Britt then we probably wouldn't have been interested. He's the type of player we already have enough of.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I knowwwww it burns me. I was hoping we could sort out the prop rotation for under 2mil but when you consider the cap is 9.8 this yr you can probably stretch it out a bit..

Napa - 650k
JFH - 650k
RT - 500k

I don't know im just throwing up numbers and suggestions and could be ridiculously out but yeah seems ok for a potential premiership winning front row.
That’s way too much money on props IMO. Look at the Broncos as the example last year they had so much cap used in their pack and it showed. I think you can get away with 2 good quality front rowers and then rely on up and comers like the Roosters did. Thompson is a lock and then if Napa isn’t cutting it we replace him once his deal runs out with someone like JFH.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Sam Phillip's got paid to type up 3 lines of his own.. 1 of which included the wrong amount of years he has signed for.

Peak journalism
Most stories nowadays are just press releases masquerading as journalism

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wouldn't play Jackson for 80 and probably wouldn't play any middle forward for 80 unless a few things aligned or circumstances required it. I'd much rather sustain a high intensity through the middle with frequent rotations.

Yh I'm not really impressed with the Britt signing.and I'm convinced if his name wasn't Britt then we probably wouldn't have been interested. He's the type of player we already have enough of.
Britt will be good depth when blokes like Sue get the tap.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not really because he's hardly a middle forward.
Cant argue that though he manages. It was him or Fualalo and I think we all had enough of Danny. If he is honest and a reliable back up he's still better than having blokes like Tualau in the 30.

His got plenty to prove so hopefully he comes out swinging and helps carry this 2020 side.

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There seems to be conflicting info regarding the length of the contract..
This post starts by stating it is a 4yr deal..
But I read somewhere earlier today that it is a 3yr deal..
It doesn’t really bother me if it’s 3 or 4..but how is there incorrect info out there still..
I think 1.95M over 3yrs sounds about right
Just stoked I was finally able to open FB this morning to news of a signing..and a good one at that
Dog 4 Life

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
There seems to be conflicting info regarding the length of the contract..
This post starts by stating it is a 4yr deal..
But I read somewhere earlier today that it is a 3yr deal..
It doesn’t really bother me if it’s 3 or 4..but how is there incorrect info out there still..
I think 1.95M over 3yrs sounds about right
Just stoked I was finally able to open FB this morning to news of a signing..and a good one at that
Dog 4 Life
The members email says 3 years

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's around the number I thought it could be
There are also a number of back ended contracts ending this year that make guessing the numbers much harder. What we do know is that the following are off contract this year;
Cogger, Doorey, Elliott, RFM, Foran, Harding, Harper, Holland, TKatoa, Montoya, Sue, Tass, Tolman, Wakeham and Winters-Chang.
Conservatively that's gotta be getting close to $4.7m in freed up Cap, take out, say, $700k for Thompson, that leaves around $4m. Should be able to get the 2 or 3 we need for that and then make up to the 30 on the NRL minimum.

Go Dogs

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Napa - 650k
JFH - 650k
RT - 500k

Thompson is on 700k I heard
Napa - 650k
To omaga isn’t on near as much as 500k

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the England trip wasn't for a new coach, but a player signing it seems.

Very happy haven't really seen him play but he is rated highly, if he gives as good a service as previous British players for the Bulldogs then its great signing.

Congrats.