Official Luke Thompson Signs for 2021

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Thanks admin for stepping in. Wendi hit it the nail on the head.

No dramas out of my end. Won’t respond to trolling again. Thanks again.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He gets no credit on here when we win games as that was the effort from the players but he is blamed when we lose.
Of course he’ll get some credit from the club but the fact of the matter is, if we don’t improve his job is in serious jeopardy
Isn't that just the nature of being a coach at any level though? When the team is performing badly, the coach is generally the first to be blamed, it's not just Pay and it's not just by our fans... It's much easier to replace a coach than it is half your roster.

Like you said though, if we do well and make the 8, he'll probably be retained. If we're 10th or lower, then he'll be replaced.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Suuuuuurely this spells the end of Tolman. Even if it means ‘Thompson on the 4th’

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Isn't that just the nature of being a coach at any level though? When the team is performing badly, the coach is generally the first to be blamed, it's not just Pay and it's not just by our fans... It's much easier to replace a coach than it is half your roster.

Like you said though, if we do well and make the 8, he'll probably be retained. If we're 10th or lower, then he'll be replaced.
I agree but I think our fans and dragons fans are more over the top blaming the coach and admin constantly then acting like nothing happened when they do something good

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It’s his coaching tactics I don’t like. Then he lets the leash go a bit and they start playing more enjoyable footy. Two years in a row. That’s what I see.

He has 12 rounds to show otherwise I’ll stick to my judgement
Yeah his style is way too conservative and predictable for my liking. He should have learned by now after two seasons of the same thing happening that we play our best when we play off the cuff and throw it around.

We can't keep expecting to grind out defensive games 10-6.. It leaves zero margin for error and it's hard to chase points when if you get behind early with such a heavily defensive mentality.

But with Pay's job potentially on the line and a new season, i expect him to revert back to form and play a defensive brand to start the season again.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will be the end for Tolman for sure, ESL would be a good option for him....Thompson is a great signing. Hopefully a quality back like Addo-car and Foran on the cheap (300k) 2021 will be top 4

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don’t think that would work given the final year of cap restrictions. Even if they worked a deal for Tols to go to England it would be a hard sell for any club to pick up his richly back-ended final year. 2021 it is I think.
Just disregard the logistical and financial complications. Purchase a one way ticket for each of them and be done with it ;)

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is going to be a massive help for Napa he just isn't cut out to be the leader of the pack but playing second fiddle to Thompson will relieve a lot of pressure on him.

If Renouf can step up we will have a great prop rotation.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Suuuuuurely this spells the end of Tolman. Even if it means ‘Thompson on the 4th’
Tolman was one of our best last year. Another good year this year and a short contract extension isn’t out of the equation.

8. Tolman
10. Thompson

15. Napa
16. To’omaga/RFM

That’s a prop rotation I could more than live with.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Will be the end for Tolman for sure, ESL would be a good option for him....Thompson is a great signing. Hopefully a quality back like Addo-car and Foran on the cheap (300k) 2021 will be top 4
Let’s hope so

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree but I think our fans and dragons fans are more over the top blaming the coach and admin constantly then acting like nothing happened when they do something good
I don't think our fans are that bad in a general sense and context is required. I certainly think most other fanbases aren't as loyal or passionate as ours. I think the last five years have taken a toll on most and led to a lot of frustration. With so much uncertainty, turmoil and politics around the club during that time, i think it's natural for some of the fanbase to become unsettled.

You have to remember, even during Coffs and the cap dramas etc, we've been such a stable, united and relatively successful club for decades that this is foreign territory for most. We weren't used to the political circus like dramas like Parra, Manly, the Tigers and Saints etc are famous for and which we experienced towards the end with Dib, Castle and Hasler..

With the cap space available, youngsters coming through and hopefully more impressive signings to come, I think you'll see a much more united and patient fanbase than in years past. Finding a coach worthy of taking us to the next level (and Pay may yet prove to be that) is the next piece of the puzzle.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This is going to be a massive help for Napa he just isn't cut out to be the leader of the pack but playing second fiddle to Thompson will relieve a lot of pressure on him.

Nice signing Spoonman. This was probably the only rumour that had merit. All the rest are just gossip. His signing as you say will do heaps for Napa as his not a leader. patience is the key here and we all need to remember the mess that we were in some years ago. This is a good signing and it’s good the dogs are not signing players with problems like some other clubs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

And hopefully Ogden too. I don't think he gets enough credit for his performances last season which were impressive for a young prop on a team which was struggling badly at the time for any go forward.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He’ll still be the coach when Round 1 of 2021 rolls around. That is a certainty.
Don't be silly. There's no such thing as certainty in any world, let alone in league. He needs to perform just like any rookie player coming into his first season. He's got a lot to prove and one big signing doesn't change that.

People are focusing too much on Pay here I think. Personally I believe this is an absolute demonstration of the club going in the right direction and we need to show patience in them.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
And hopefully Ogden too. I don't think he gets enough credit for his performances last season which were impressive for a young prop on a team which was struggling badly at the time for any go forward.
Yeah hopefully Ogden can get there too. He has to improve in defence he can make good hits but he can gets really badly caught out with lateral movement and effort plays.

It will be a major difference for the pack running after Thompson bends the line as opposed to a Tolman settler.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Man I like Ogden. He’s a big fella. Fits well into the pack, needs better conditioning that’s all