Official Luke Thompson Signs for 2021

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Awesome news, shame he is not here until next year. Hopefully we make some more significant signings this year and next year can really be something we look forward to.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great news. I'm not sure about his leadership qualities but hopefully he can have an impact on the team similar to Graham (as a player). It's hard to judge exactly how good he is since he's in the Super League (I haven't watched him at all too be fair) but looking at his statistics and the hype around him (I think he was in the Super League team of the year) hopefully he can deliver in the NRL. A target of ours we've been able to sign (I'm not sure what other clubs were linked, I know Rabbitohs were at one stage but they've signed Arrow). If anyone has some extra information or some highlights I wouldn't mind hearing/watching (as you do when you sign someone new).
long as he leads with his actions.. we have plenty of leaders in our group

maltalian_dog

DESeption
Reaction score
The ironic thing for me is I found out through a James Graham parody Twitter account..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
This also means we only have one more season of Tolman playing fullback, halfback and taking settlers on the 4th!
We hope :grinning: have to wait and see on their plans for Tols.

Fantastic to see we have been successful at signing such an accredited international player.

This news has lifted us for the 2021 season and given hope for some real ongoing success.

All Dogs fans will have their spirits lifted now. Only one signing but means a lot more than that.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent news and positive news.

Time now for all the tampon jockeys to come out of hiding.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Great news. Well done to the club for landing someone obviously heavily contested. Let’s hope an nrl gun follows suit like addo carr.
Once you’ve finished wiping that egg off your face you can send me an apology.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
This is great news by the club, an astute signing.

From what I’ve seen, Thompson looks like he will be a beast in our pack....a potential SC god also ;)

Something I’ve noticed with the recent English imports into the NRL (and clearly Jammer) is their absolute competitiveness for everything on the park. Jammer absolutely gave us that when he played for us and throw in Ennis and Reynolds at the time and teams didn’t like playing us as they knew we competed for everything...

DWZ has shown that early on and with the addition of Thompson and one fully 1 or 2 more and this positive news for the future.

Well done Hill, a nice signing and some good frequent flyers points....win/win.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
This is to be a G-up. We are incapable of signing anyone of quality! We can’t attract! No one wants to come here and play under fucking Pay!

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Stands and applauds the board, CEO and recruitment team

Kudos where deserved

Double celebration of this means the end of Tolman

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This is to be a G-up. We are incapable of signing anyone of quality! We can’t attract! No one wants to come here and play under fucking Pay!
Every man has his price

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Once you’ve finished wiping that egg off your face you can send me an apology.
I don’t owe you a damn thing you clown. I have no egg on my face. Enjoy the time you have here trolling. Sure it won’t last long again.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t owe you a damn thing you clown. I have no egg on my face. Enjoy the time you have here trolling. Sure it won’t last long again.
Trolling?

So when I reported last year that Hill was in England talking to Thompson and not pursuing Holbrook was I trolling?

Or was it you doing the trolling when you wrote endless paragraphs on how I was talking shit and that he was there purely to try and sign Holbrook and that we ‘missed out’ on Holbrook rendering Hills visits a complete disaster and an embarrassment to the club. Was that not you 09?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bulldogs sign star English International forward Luke Thompson for three years
bulldogs.com.auTue 4 Feb 2020, 08:42 AM
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have continued to build towards the future with the signing of star English prop Luke Thompson for three seasons.

The 24 year-old forward will join the club from St Helens for the start of the 2021 season.

The signing is a major coup for the Bulldogs with the English International attracting the attention of several NRL clubs.

Thompson has had a stellar career at St Helens, having made 157 appearances for the red and whites, including scoring 8 tries for them last season.

During his time at St Helens, Thompson has proved to be one of the best props in the competition, including being part of their Championship side in 2014 and then winning the Harry Sunderland Trophy as Man of the Match in the Super League Grand Final victory over Salford last season.

Thompson made his International debut for England in 2018 and then went on to represent Great Britain during their tour of the Southern Hemisphere last year, making his debut against Tonga.

Bulldogs Chief Executive Andrew Hill spoke about the leadership qualities that Thompson would bring to the club :

“Even though Luke is at the start of his career, we have been really impressed by his on-field leadership qualities and his desire to be the best. He is an excellent player who has become a star of the Super League and has shown what he is capable of at International level and we are looking forward to him getting the chance to show everyone in the NRL what he is capable of.

We feel as though we are creating a really strong squad moving forward and to have someone of Luke’s calibre want to be part of that and to buy in to what we are building here is a big vote of confidence in the club and the future.

I am sure that our members and fans are going to love seeing him run out in the blue and white and continue the tradition of English forwards who have prospered in the NRL.”

Bulldogs Chair Lynne Anderson was delighted that Thompson had chosen to come to Belmore :

“When we were re-elected two years ago we promised as a Board that we would work hard to move the club forward and create a squad for the future. The signing of someone like Luke is part of that process as he is both a quality footballer and someone with strong personal values.

As the family club we have always looked to create a culture that players wanted to be a part of and after speaking with Luke and listening to what he is looking to achieve in the game I feel that he will be a great fit for us."

Thompson said that he was excited about getting the opportunity to join the Bulldogs :

“Getting the chance to join the Bulldogs and be a part of a club with so much history and with such passionate fans is very exciting. Having spoken to many people at the club and listened to their plans for the future, I know that they are building for success and I’m looking forward to being part of that.

When you join a club like the Bulldogs you know about the players and the culture that has gone before you and the fact that second best isn’t good enough and that was something that was important to me.

I look forward to joining them for the 2021 season and getting to be a part of a talented squad that is hungry for success and this will now enable me to focus on having a great final season with St Helens.”

LUKE THOMPSON PROFILE
AGE – 24

POSITION - PROP

HEIGHT – 6ft 1in

WEIGHT – 106 KG

ST HELENS
DEBUT – 2013 v London Broncos

MATCHES – 157

TRIES – 25

ENGLAND
MATCHES – 4

GREAT BRITAIN
MATCHES - 2

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Luke Burgess (who would obviously have a connection with his fellow Poms) reckons he could be joining us this season.

I can't see it happening as they've started their season already and generally ESL players need to get a full pre-season in before playing NRL.. Plus St.Helens would want to get another year out of him before he leaves.

We also don't have the cap space this year and wouldn't want to pay the transfer fee when they wouldn't have to pay it next year.

So i don't believe it at all, but am just passing on what I was told..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
So where does signing news leave Pay? Guess they are extending him for 2021 at least?