Official Luke Thompson Signs for 2021

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
View attachment 12952

About as shabby as it's always looked @Teddybear.
Congratulations to the DNB (Did Negate Bleaters) on a quality signing - the first of more to come.
BULLDOGS ON THEIR WAY BACK! :-)
A fantastic day for our great club moving forward and in the right direction
People need to stop paying attention to the negative spin put out there by media & others alike.
Our management has said the same thing over and over that discussions
will be kept in house.
Unlike under previous hierarchy

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
WE DID IT.

Now let's see if he lives up to the hype, everyone in England seems so impressed by him but from the limited time I've seen of him he looked to be nothing out of the ordinary. This is still something to finally lift my feeling about the club.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Great news. I'm not sure about his leadership qualities but hopefully he can have an impact on the team similar to Graham (as a player). It's hard to judge exactly how good he is since he's in the Super League (I haven't watched him at all too be fair) but looking at his statistics and the hype around him (I think he was in the Super League team of the year) hopefully he can deliver in the NRL. A target of ours we've been able to sign (I'm not sure what other clubs were linked, I know Rabbitohs were at one stage but they've signed Arrow). If anyone has some extra information or some highlights I wouldn't mind hearing/watching (as you do when you sign someone new).
Don't worry, we didn't pay overs either.
It's good news :-)

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
View attachment 12951 “The penny has dropped”
“The silence is deafening”
“The do nothing board won’t sign anyone”
“Why did Hill go to England twice? He’s too busy with touch football”
“Our recruitment are shit”
“No one wants to play under Pay”
“We’ll see who has egg on their face”
Seems like Hilly got more than Duty Free and Frequent Flyer Points as the Bleaters were charging?? :-)

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on a successful signing doggies !

Was getting really depressing there for a while.

And if the rumours of St Helens offering him a massive extension are true, him still coming to the dogs is a great sign of his intent.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Seems like Hilly got more than Duty Free and Frequent Flyer Points as the Bleaters were charging?? :-)
He only went for Holbrook but missed out hahaha

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
WE DID IT.

Now let's see if he lives up to the hype, everyone in England seems so impressed by him but from the limited time I've seen of him he looked to be nothing out of the ordinary. This is still something to finally lift my feeling about the club.
Wow, an almost positive post from you mate. Lucky I was sitting down :grinning:

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Imo what I've seen he's good. Didn't count the English Internationals because it looked like they all didn't give a shit.

World club Challenge will be a good watch against JWH and Taukeiaho.

Great signing from the club.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Great news. Well done to the club for landing someone obviously heavily contested. Let’s hope an nrl gun follows suit like addo carr.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know it isn't set in stone and anything can happen BUT every single English International forward that has joined the NRL has gone good. So the fact that we or others havnt seen much of him doesn't concern me at all.

What I've seen he reminds me of a Prop version of Bateman. Just wind him up and he goes all day.

I know it's for next year but it's made me more excited for this year too. UP THE DOGGIES!!!!!!!

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thompson leaving St Helens to beef up Bulldogs pack

Dan WalshTue 4 Feb 2020, 06:09 AM
St Helens have announced highly rated English prop Luke Thompson will be heading to the NRL in 2021 to beef up the Canterbury pack.

The Bulldogs, who are yet to make an official announcement regarding Thompson's signing, have trumped several NRL suitors including the Warriors, Titans as well as St Helens to secure the 24-year-old.

He will see out the final year of his contract with the Super League club before moving to Australia next season.

St Helens chairman Eamonn McManus confirmed his club’s “bitter disappointment” at losing Thompson in the early hours of Tuesday morning AEDT.

His signature is a coup for the Dogs given their recent years of salary cap hardships.

The Bulldogs have farewelled representative props David Klemmer, James Graham and Aaron Woods in recent years as it reshaped a roster hamstrung by back-ended contracts.

Thompson will pack down alongside another representative prop in Dylan Napa from next season.

St Helens also came to the table with a lucrative offer to keep Thompson at his junior club, but were trumped by the Bulldogs' lucrative offer and the lure of proving himself in the NRL.

SBW returns to rugby league
SBW returns to rugby league

Dumped English coach Wayne Bennett is also a fan after handing him his Test debut in 2018, while new Titans mentor Justin Holbrook pursued Thompson having coached him at St Helens as recently as last year’s Super League premiership-winning campaign.

It has been suggested Canterbury could secure Thompson for 2020 by paying a transfer fee which would not come under their salary cap for the coming season.

But it’s understood the Bulldogs do not have the salary cap space to fit Thompson in this year, and St Helens appear loath to release a key player as they bid to defend their Super League title.

“We were informed last week that Luke has decided to join Canterbury Bulldogs next season,” McManus said in a club statement.

“We accept and totally respect Luke’s decision and wish him nothing but success in his career and in his life.

“We are absolutely sure that he will be absolutely sure that he will be absolutely committed to the club and his teammates for the rest of this season.

“There’s no hiding from the fact that this is a bitter disappointment to all of us as Luke has been connected to the club since the age of 11 and has developed into an absolute top player at 24 years old.

“If ever he decides to return to England and to Super League then there would be a red carpet waiting for him at St Helens.”

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
It has been suggested Canterbury could secure Thompson for 2020 by paying a transfer fee which would not come under their salary cap for the coming season.

But it’s understood the Bulldogs do not have the salary cap space to fit Thompson in this year
I’ve been saying this for months too

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Some good news is long overdue, let's hope he lives up to the standards set by recent pommy forwards in the NRL.
Now to sign some quality in the backs and halves

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
oh what the fuck
we signed someone?!?!?!!
Someone didn't pick up the phone and call Pay and beg for a spot ala Katoa?
im amazed

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
oh what the fuck
we signed someone?!?!?!!
Someone didn't pick up the phone and call Pay and beg for a spot ala Katoa?
im amazed
Is it possible that you are suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect in regards to how player recruiting actually works?

Go Dogs

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is it possible that you are suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect in regards to how player recruiting actually works?

Go Dogs
lol are you serious??
We've signed nothing of note for years except for DWZ who fell into our lap

Kotoa quoted as saying he called the club

Go Flogs