Official Andrew Ryan to mentor the Bulldogs at the Perth Nines

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Former Bulldogs great Andrew 'Bobcat' Ryan will travel to the Perth Nines next week as both a mentor to the Bulldogs squad and a member of the playing group.

Ryan, who made 218 appearances for the Bulldogs, including captaining them in the 2004 Grand Final, will be part of the squad and will help assist Head Coach Dean Pay in mentoring a young Bulldogs squad in their first hit out of the season, in addition to providing guidance to new captain Corey Harawira-Naera, who will take over from Josh Jackson who is unavailable after minor surgery for a broken nose.

Ryan, who played for New South Wales in 12 State of Origin matches, in addition to representing Australia on eleven occasions, recently performed well for the Bulldogs team in the Legends of League tournament held in Newcastle last November.

Ryan will play at some stage during the Bulldogs two matches against the Parramatta Eels and Cronulla Sharks.

Bulldogs Coach Dean Pay was delighted that Ryan had agreed to work with the young squad: “Having someone of Bobcat’s experience with the squad for the tournament will be fantastic for our young guys."

He was one of the great Bulldogs and just having him around the group and for the guys to be able to learn from him and chat to him about the game will be of great benefit to them.

"It’s really important that we keep that connection to our past and help our young players learn from their experiences.”

The Bulldogs will name their full squad for the 2020 NRL Nines next week.
https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2020/02/03/andrew-ryan-to-mentor-the-bulldogs-at-the-perth-nines/

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
will be awesome to see bobcat have a run around again, im sure he can teach the younger boys a lot. Also happy to see CHN as stand in captain, hopefully it makes him realise how important he is to our team and he hits the ground running this season. He has huge potential in my eyes

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Awesome.. can’t wait to see bob cat lace up again haha !!!

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good ol Country Boys!!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
will be awesome to see bobcat have a run around again, im sure he can teach the younger boys a lot. Also happy to see CHN as stand in captain, hopefully it makes him realise how important he is to our team and he hits the ground running this season. He has huge potential in my eyes
It's an interesting call to name him captain. I guess Holman and DWZ are likely not playing then.
This being said, he must be showing some really good leadership signs to be given this honour.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ryan will play at some stage during the Bulldogs two matches against the Parramatta Eels and Cronulla Sharks.
Good to see we are taking the 9s very seriously

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
CHN played in the international 9s for NZ so probably a fair call to skipper

We must be sending a young team like we always do (excluding Bobcat )

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sending a young side would be the best chance of going well in the Nines for us anyway. I doubt Bobcat will be playing much anyway but he will be good to have around a young team.

I just realised there’s only 2 games for each team so if you lose the first game you’re pretty much cooked.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Sending a young side would be the best chance of going well in the Nines for us anyway. I doubt Bobcat will be playing much anyway but he will be good to have around a young team.

I just realised there’s only 2 games for each team so if you lose the first game you’re pretty much cooked.
Don't think we have to worry about it too much, don't see us going through against Parra and Sharks lol.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't think we have to worry about it too much, don't see us going through against Parra and Sharks lol.
True. One of those two will more then likely win the whole thing.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is he still coaching Newcastle South?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good to see we are taking the 9s very seriously
Should probably just send the legends of league team to play... I wouldn't be surprised if they did a better job.. haha.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He’ll be great to have around the boys, even if he’s from the country like 90% of footy players are

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good choice by Pay IMO. Ryan's experience would help the playing group a lot. Lets hope they take his advice and use for the rest of the season and beyond.