Opinion Holland - bench hooker

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't unfortunately. The stupid rule with the 350k compensation says that the money can only be used on the same position as the player who was injured.
The NRL should show us pity and let us sign whoever is willing to come to us. :grinning:

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Bulldogs need to spend the money before Foran returns. It is understood they can spend that amount to recruit any player and it does not necessarily have to be a like-for-like replacement for Foran. The Bulldogs had inquired about Storm flyer Josh Addo-Carr.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.da...n/news-story/d969d9dc110057b24271ad652b0a2f11
I'm not sure what the article says in full as I can't see it, but in short the bulldogs are asking for a revamp in the rules.
And even then it's only dispensation not compensation.
Then I'm guessing the onus is on us to juggle the 30th position when foran returns. If that is the case then there's a lot of hurdles to manoeuvre. I stand to be corrected, but if i understand it correctly it might not even be worth replacing him til season's end.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the article says in full as I can't see it, but in short the bulldogs are asking for a revamp in the rules.
And even then it's only dispensation not compensation.
Then I'm guessing the onus is on us to juggle the 30th position when foran returns. If that is the case then there's a lot of hurdles to manoeuvre. I stand to be corrected, but if i understand it correctly it might not even be worth replacing him til season's end.
Apologies, full article;

Canterbury have called on the NRL to revamp its policy for players injured at representative level after the club officially received just a third of dispensation of Kieran Foran’s million dollar salary.

The Bulldogs were granted the maximum $350,000 salary cap relief despite arguing they have Foran’s full $1.2 million salary covered this year after their star five-eighth was injured playing for the Kiwis last year. Club’s receive greater relief if players are stood down by the NRL’s no-fault policy, while South Sydney did not have to include Greg Inglis or Sam Burgess’ contracts in their salary cap after retiring because of injuries.

FOR essential KFC SuperCoach NRL analysis, sign up for a Daily Telegraph subscription, just $1 for the first 28 Days!

[img decoding="async" src="https://cdn-newsapi-com-au.cdn.ampp...1/1a0c6fb55d455ed8f07205071fc6611b?width=1024" class="i-amphtml-fill-content i-amphtml-replaced-content" >
Kieran Foran back training after shoulder surgery.
“It’s very difficult to accept that a club can release a player for representative honours and that player to be returned in condition that could not see him play up to 15 rounds in our case and not get the full cap relief for that period.

“In reviewing the rule it’s easy to be critical but in this case we have to come up with alternative suggestions or improvement. All of us need to come together and come up with a better outcome.”

Clubs can only receive a payout if the player misses at least 12 games. It is understood the NRL believes the $350,000 is a risk mitigation factor if Foran returns from injury earlier than expected. It reduces the chances of any salary cap issues for the club if he is back early. Hill has put forward the notion that a club should be receive at least 80 per cent of the players’ wage in cap relief.

Foran is set to miss most of the 2020 season after shoulder surgery.
“A percentage of the salary cap with that player will be a fairer, equitable system,” Hill said. “It will also cater to a young player who is just beginning their representative career or a high profile player like Kieran.

“If every club received a certain percentage then that’s fair.”

The Bulldogs need to spend the money before Foran returns. It is understood they can spend that amount to recruit any player and it does not necessarily have to be a like-for-like replacement for Foran. The Bulldogs had inquired about Storm flyer Josh Addo-Carr.

Hill said the club had begun looking at options.

MORE NEWS

KFC SuperCoach NRL: Why bye round preparation is key

Raiders respond to Carney Nines push

“Our committee will constantly be reviewing the options available,” Hill said. “We have seen in the last couple of weeks there are several discussion around player movement.

“We are monitoring and having these discussions.”

An NRL spokesman said the 16 clubs supported the rule when it was introduced.

“All clubs were consulted and had the opportunity to provide input before it was announced,” the spokesman said.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apologies, full article;

Canterbury have called on the NRL to revamp its policy for players injured at representative level after the club officially received just a third of dispensation of Kieran Foran’s million dollar salary.

The Bulldogs were granted the maximum $350,000 salary cap relief despite arguing they have Foran’s full $1.2 million salary covered this year after their star five-eighth was injured playing for the Kiwis last year. Club’s receive greater relief if players are stood down by the NRL’s no-fault policy, while South Sydney did not have to include Greg Inglis or Sam Burgess’ contracts in their salary cap after retiring because of injuries.

FOR essential KFC SuperCoach NRL analysis, sign up for a Daily Telegraph subscription, just $1 for the first 28 Days!

[img decoding="async" src="https://cdn-newsapi-com-au.cdn.ampp...1/1a0c6fb55d455ed8f07205071fc6611b?width=1024" class="i-amphtml-fill-content i-amphtml-replaced-content" >
Kieran Foran back training after shoulder surgery.
“It’s very difficult to accept that a club can release a player for representative honours and that player to be returned in condition that could not see him play up to 15 rounds in our case and not get the full cap relief for that period.

“In reviewing the rule it’s easy to be critical but in this case we have to come up with alternative suggestions or improvement. All of us need to come together and come up with a better outcome.”

Clubs can only receive a payout if the player misses at least 12 games. It is understood the NRL believes the $350,000 is a risk mitigation factor if Foran returns from injury earlier than expected. It reduces the chances of any salary cap issues for the club if he is back early. Hill has put forward the notion that a club should be receive at least 80 per cent of the players’ wage in cap relief.

Foran is set to miss most of the 2020 season after shoulder surgery.
“A percentage of the salary cap with that player will be a fairer, equitable system,” Hill said. “It will also cater to a young player who is just beginning their representative career or a high profile player like Kieran.

“If every club received a certain percentage then that’s fair.”

Hill said the club had begun looking at options.

MORE NEWS

KFC SuperCoach NRL: Why bye round preparation is key

Raiders respond to Carney Nines push

“Our committee will constantly be reviewing the options available,” Hill said. “We have seen in the last couple of weeks there are several discussion around player movement.

“We are monitoring and having these discussions.”

An NRL spokesman said the 16 clubs supported the rule when it was introduced.

“All clubs were consulted and had the opportunity to provide input before it was announced,” the spokesman said.
Thank you for the article in full.
I get what Hill is saying about the stand downs policy dispensation being higher than that of injured rep players.
The thing I don't believe is the NRL claiming all the clubs where happy of the salary cap relief measures that where proposed.
It's like me agreeing to lend my $1.2m ferrari in a drag race and accept an insurance value of $350k in case it came back in spare parts.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yeh its kinda sad having hooker issues when we had 2 of the best in Ennis and Cook let go. Ennis went on to win a premiership and Cook is the best hooker in the game now. Sigh. Not much we can do now i guess, we can only hope who we have steps up.
Hodgson is the best hooker in the game, Cook if just lightning. But yeah I get your point

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Hodgson is the best hooker in the game, Cook if just lightning. But yeah I get your point
Billy brittain is stuck behind cook but is without a club this year. Sign him up I reckon!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
No he’s not.. tigers signee billy Walters. Billy brittain is still without a club
He was great in the ISP last year and was keen on us signing him, not sure what's up for him not to have a club at this stage. Still think he's a player we should look at, especially with our hooking stocks being pretty shit and Pay considering playing Holland there lol.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

That's news to me. Thought it had to be a half for a half. Greats news! Would not be surprised if we make one more signing before the season begins then.

Question is what position do you look at? Has to be either a prop or a hooker.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

That's news to me. Thought it had to be a half for a half. Greats news! Would not be surprised if we make one more signing before the season begins then.

Question is what position do you look at? Has to be either a prop or a hooker.
We need some quality in the backs, we're an injury or two away from having a Montoya and Holland centre pairing.
We should sign Billy Brittain to a development contract and look to bring in a centre.
The problem we face is due to the delayed decision the majority of squads are settled in for the year and the likelihood of picking up any quality players at this stage is slim.
We'll be waiting to jag a midseason signing ala DWZ.
Alternatively, if we sign a player off contract in 2021 and see if they can come across earlier, e.g. Nick Cotric.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to write Katoa off before I see him in our colours, but I am surprised that we didn't enquire about Siliva Havili, given Pay would have spent a bit of time with him at the Raiders.. Havili would be a starting hooker at just about every other club bar Storm

Last edited:

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Havili isn’t even a starting hooker at his own club let alone anyone else’s

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We need some quality in the backs, we're an injury or two away from having a Montoya and Holland centre pairing.
We should sign Billy Brittain to a development contract and look to bring in a centre.
The problem we face is due to the delayed decision the majority of squads are settled in for the year and the likelihood of picking up any quality players at this stage is slim.
We'll be waiting to jag a midseason signing ala DWZ.
Alternatively, if we sign a player off contract in 2021 and see if they can come across earlier, e.g. Nick Cotric.
Its most likely in the clubs plans and has worked out nicely so far with some decent signings. I'd say were ok in the centres now that Reimis is there and if Holland and Montoya are a couple of injuries away from a start then that's pretty decent depth tbh considering we have Harper, Averillo and Tass in the mix this yr.

Our weakest positions by far are hooker and prop with RFM's injury and JMK off season recovery from surgery. Depending on Britt or Ogden and Katoa in the early rounds may be crucial in getting any sort of a early roll on.

The biggest problem for me is the fact we need to see our halves at their best so to choose 1 or 2 from 3 for the future and that's going to be bloody difficult with a on par forward pack.

Just want to watch them go around already Arghhh!!!

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Its most likely in the clubs plans and has worked out nicely so far with some decent signings. I'd say were ok in the centres now that Reimis is there and if Holland and Montoya are a couple of injuries away from a start then that's pretty decent depth tbh considering we have Harper, Averillo and Tass in the mix this yr.

Our weakest positions by far are hooker and prop with RFM's injury and JMK off season recovery from surgery. Depending on Britt or Ogden and Katoa in the early rounds may be crucial in getting any sort of a early roll on.

The biggest problem for me is the fact we need to see our halves at their best so to choose 1 or 2 from 3 for the future and that's going to be bloody difficult with a on par forward pack.

Just want to watch them go around already Arghhh!!!
Agree that there's some promising talent coming thru in the backs, I just think we need that bit of class ro bring the young blokes along.
Think back to Ben Kennedy and his impact on Newcastle and Manly, just that hard edge professional who knows how to win, show the lads how to be successful and someone to set the on field standard.
I hope those in control can see the big picture though at times I doubt they do.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree that there's some promising talent coming thru in the backs, I just think we need that bit of class ro bring the young blokes along.
Think back to Ben Kennedy and his impact on Newcastle and Manly, just that hard edge professional who knows how to win, show the lads how to be successful and someone to set the on field standard.
I hope those in control can see the big picture though at times I doubt they do.
Yeah we certainly don't have that guy. Our leadership group isn't all that considering the best we have on field are Hoppa, Tolman and Jacko. Absolute warriors but be it conservative mofos. We definitely don't have much edge though but it may change with CHN, DWZ and Stimson coming in along with a few raw backrowers all tipped to be future reps.

Its ugly because its a waiting game but I see enough atm to suggest a premiership within 5 yrs and a solid outfit beyond. The theatre of it all is entertaining enough sometimes... lol

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
We need a strong well credentialed coach and support crew to attract the players to win a premiership.Our front of house is becoming a shambles unable to attract a major sponsor or any quality players.Word of mouth around players and their managers is hurting us.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We need a strong well credentialed coach and support crew to attract the players to win a premiership.Our front of house is becoming a shambles unable to attract a major sponsor or any quality players.Word of mouth around players and their managers is hurting us.
Exactly who is this “well credentialed coach” you would have us recruit?
Just a reminder, Melbourne don’t have a major sponsor, is their “front of house” also a “shambles”?
In a football club sense who exactly comprises “front of house”? Bartenders, servers, waiters, hostesses etc the people who the public deal with, quite common in a leagues club sense but I can’t say as I’ve ever seen it in reference to a football club.

Go Dogs

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Exactly who is this “well credentialed coach” you would have us recruit?
Just a reminder, Melbourne don’t have a major sponsor, is their “front of house” also a “shambles”?
In a football club sense who exactly comprises “front of house”? Bartenders, servers, waiters, hostesses etc the people who the public deal with, quite common in a leagues club sense but I can’t say as I’ve ever seen it in reference to a football club.

Go Dogs
Said we need ........ coach ,not up to me to find one,that’s why we have ceo and senior management.If you are comparing us to Melbourne then how do we measure up in say the last decade? If you think front of house comprises club staff then I’m not wasting my time explaining.
Try not to be critical or even funny ? towards posts that you have no answers for.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So who will be playing 9 at the nines next week?

Katoa? Must be with Wakeham and Cogger running in the halves /audition for season proper