Social Media Luke Thompson is rumoured

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watch Elliott and Tolman get upgraded contract offers now.
I still can’t believe we paid overs to re-sign him last time. He was done at the Eels. Then stupidly des upped the offer to match. Idiot.

And Tolman needs to retire. Game has passed him.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Oh man, hope it’s not true. Those hanging that hat hard on the board will cop a hiding on here.

Easy to say we didn’t want to match the $ or
Some other excuse.

Just shows we can’t land those that we clearly are going hard for if it pans out this way. Two trips over, so many people so confident and praising the board for it. Yet for one reason or another can’t close. He went like what 4 months ago? Should of been done long ago.

Not to mention the largish list of quality passed by already again for once excuse or another.

As others said if Elliott, Tolman etc stay here incompetence is not even accurately defining our management.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
...................................enough said! :grimacing:

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Can hear the penny drop

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well thats depressing. He is not a cameron smith or cronk like signing but he still had big raps on him and if his Super League form carried across he would of added some mongrel and go forward to our pack. Might of even sparked a few other bigger names attention to sign with us.
I hope there is a back up plan?!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Bit depressing to miss out on him. Should focus on getting someone like big Nelson from Melbourne now. Paul Vaughan would be nice too... With Napa and Renouf the benchys. But that's a pipe dream and sadly that's all we have for now haha

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
St Helens coach Kristian Woolf insists the club is confident of retaining Luke Thompson, despite a raft of offers from the NRL.

The England & Great Britain forward is off-contract at the end of the season and is understood to have attracted interest from several clubs, with Canterbury Bulldogs tipped as the frontrunners to sign the 24-year-old star.

The Bulldogs are willing to offer Thompson a huge contract to join the club, but St Helens are also expected to offer their star forward a lucrative deal to remain at the Totally Wicked Stadium beyond 2020.

Saints have run an impressive salary cap despite their squad dominating the competition for the past two seasons and have an option to sign him on a marquee contract.

“I’ve spoken to him about it,” Woolf said.

“I understand the lure of the NRL and the attraction. I’ve just made the decision with my family to come to something that excites me. For a guy who has grown up in England it would be the same excitement about a different challenge in a different country as well. I certainly understand that and we’ve spoken about it.

“Finances come into play too. At the end of the day the NRL salary cap is a lot higher than the Super League one and that needs to be considered. Also with Luke, he’s a very good character and he’s looking at everything. He’s looking at what’s important about staying at St Helens as well. He’s been here a long time and knows he is part of a good group. There are a lot of things from him to consider that would keep him here too.

“From our club’s point of view we think we’ve a real chance of him staying. That’s certainly what we hope he does. One of the attractions for me as a coach was working with someone like Luke Thompson, so from my point of view I hope he stays.”

Woolf went on to admit that the club is in frequent talks with Thompson on the matter, with conversations remaining open and honest.

“Luke is like that and the people at the club are that way too, it’s certainly the way I am as well.

“Everyone understands that it’s a difficult decision. When you’re one of the best players in the world in your position, you’re going to have options and when you’ve got options it makes things difficult. That’s what he’s got at the moment, but he’ll make the right decision.”
https://www.totalrl.com/woolf-confident-of-keeping-luke-thompson-after-talks-over-nrl-move/
Sounds like no decision has been made as yet

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
St Helens coach Kristian Woolf insists the club is confident of retaining Luke Thompson, despite a raft of offers from the NRL.

The England & Great Britain forward is off-contract at the end of the season and is understood to have attracted interest from several clubs, with Canterbury Bulldogs tipped as the frontrunners to sign the 24-year-old star.

The Bulldogs are willing to offer Thompson a huge contract to join the club, but St Helens are also expected to offer their star forward a lucrative deal to remain at the Totally Wicked Stadium beyond 2020.

Saints have run an impressive salary cap despite their squad dominating the competition for the past two seasons and have an option to sign him on a marquee contract.

“I understand the lure of the NRL and the attraction. I’ve just made the decision with my family to come to something that excites me. For a guy who has grown up in England it would be the same excitement about a different challenge in a different country as well. I certainly understand that and we’ve spoken about it.

“Finances come into play too. At the end of the day the NRL salary cap is a lot higher than the Super League one and that needs to be considered. Also with Luke, he’s a very good character and he’s looking at everything. He’s looking at what’s important about staying at St Helens as well. He’s been here a long time and knows he is part of a good group. There are a lot of things from him to consider that would keep him here too.

“From our club’s point of view we think we’ve a real chance of him staying. That’s certainly what we hope he does. One of the attractions for me as a coach was working with someone like Luke Thompson, so from my point of view I hope he stays.”

Woolf went on to admit that the club is in frequent talks with Thompson on the matter, with conversations remaining open and honest.

“Luke is like that and the people at the club are that way too, it’s certainly the way I am as well.

“Everyone understands that it’s a difficult decision. When you’re one of the best players in the world in your position, you’re going to have options and when you’ve got options it makes things difficult. That’s what he’s got at the moment, but he’ll make the right decision.”
https://www.totalrl.com/woolf-confident-of-keeping-luke-thompson-after-talks-over-nrl-move/
There is certain parts of the quotations that suggest he has expressed a desire to test himself in the NRL...

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess it will now drag on for a fair while waiting for him to decide. Guessing hes in no rush.
With those saying Tunks said it had fallen over I have two questions.
1 - what position does Tunks have within the club? Didnt think i saw him mentioned in the recruitment team. And would all the nitty gritty info about negotiations get openly broadcasted around the club or stay within the people that need to know?
2 - Was there a timeframe the club put on Thompson of when he had to accept the deal by and thats why its fallen over?
Its probably more likely that whoever said he had signed way back was bullshitting given this article in total league was from 26.1.20

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Even if he is still considering a move to the NRL, how can we have faith that Hill will all of a sudden seal the deal when it's been dragging on for six months now?

It never should have gotten to this point. He should have been signed months ago. Why is is that the Raiders can sign half the English squad without any of these sagas?

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Woolf said this, Dogs still front runners, this is driving me barking crazy

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watching the game live now saints vs Salford Thompson still on the field and at the 28th minute he made a cover tackle on a winger better then any of our backs can make lol jks but honestly he is impressive at club leave but I haven’t seen him make this impact playing for England vs the Aussies.