New Cowboys Stadium

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
From www.austadiums.com

They like to have mouthfuls of names for their stadiums up north.

Symbolic transfer of turf to Queensland Country Bank Stadium
Austadiums | Wednesday 22nd January 2020
SHARE:

A helicopter has transferred turf from 1300SMILES Stadium to Queensland Country Bank Stadium as a symbolic transfer of 25 seasons of history to the North Queensland Cowboys’ new home ground.

The transfer on Monday afternoon symbolised a slice of natural history from the birthplace of the Cowboys to their brand-new 25,000-seat stadium.

The lowering of the turf at Queensland Country Bank Stadium signified the start of the laying of the stadium playing surface turf with Queensland Minister for Sport Mick de Brenni noting the first piece of turf being laid was another significant milestone for the construction of North Queensland’s new stadium.

“This symbolic transfer will mark the commencement of laying the playing field turf.”

“Over the next few weeks, the speakers and sound system will be commissioned and tested, and the electronic scoreboard will spring to life in testing.”

North Queensland Cowboys Chief Executive Jeff Reibel said that the move is a meaningful one for the club adding “it’s great to be able to carry our club’s memories, lessons and dreams from the past with us into our new home, where we invite North Queenslanders to join us for an exciting future.

“The square metre has come form the northern end of the stadium,” Mr Reibel said. “Number one is we are training on the field for the next 12 months and when we talked to the coach he didn’t want it taken out of the middle.

“But number two, to ensure again that the turf can be regrown in that area.”

7NEWS Townsville

✔@7NewsTownsville

https://twitter.com/7NewsTownsville/status/1219181895621066752

The @nthqldcowboys are taking a small but symbolic reminder of home to their new training grounds. A special delivery of turf from the 1300 Smiles Stadium was airlifted into the team's new digs in the city. http://www.7NEWS.com.au @Ben_Downie #NRL #7NEWS

6:56 PM - Jan 20, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

See 7NEWS Townsville's other Tweets

The removal and transfer of the turf was done with the permission of, and overseen by, representatives of the Wulgurukaba First Nations People, the traditional custodians of the land on which both stadiums reside.

The Queensland Country Bank Stadium is a joint project of the Queensland Government, Australian Government and Townsville City Council and is supported by both the NRL and the North Queensland Cowboys.

The stadium forms part of the Townsville City Deal signed in December 2016.

A free open day will mark the official opening of the stadium on Saturday 22 February. Elton John will have the honour of performing at the first event, on Saturday 29 February, before the Cowboys take on the Broncos in their first NRL home game on Friday 13 March.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Seems a bit weird that one end has no grandstand.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
How are you supposed to look at the water with the Grandstand in the way?! But yh, I've seen plenty of pictures of this stadium and only noticed this now because you mentioned it and now I can't stop looking at it lol.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It certainly would dilute some of the atmosphere generated in the stadium. But then most Queenslanders can't count to four so maybe that's why they only built 3 sides?:grinning:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It certainly would dilute some of the atmosphere generated in the stadium. But then most Queenslanders can't count to four so maybe that's why they only built 3 sides?:grinning:
I read somewhere the design was inspired by the Pandanus tree. Here is a Pandanus tree (yes, i have no idea how this works either):

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere the design was inspired by the Pandanus tree. Here is a Pandanus tree (yes, i have no idea how this works either):

You can definitely see the influence when looking at the structure of the stadium... very cool

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
When will Belmore Sports Ground be upgraded by any Govt?
I can't see it happening. NSW Govt is all about SFS rebuild, ANZ upgrade and Bankwest having been built.
There's too many stakeholders around BSG not to mention the metro train coming through there in the next couple of years.
I'd be very surprised if they do much at all, although Lynne did recently say that the Dogs Centre of Excellence, being the first in the NRL when it was opened in 2011 needs to be upgraded to a next-gen facility - so I'm sure we'll hear more about that soon enough.
Assume they plan to keep the CoE at BSG...

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the West Tigers, NRL or State Govt had any vision they should upgrade Campbelltown Stadium and permanently base the team there as anyone one with half a brain or has ventured further west than Strathfield would know the South West of Sydney is the growth area of NSW and any team who captures that area will dominate in 10 years time with the juniors available. Otherwise the massive opportunity will be lost and another code will step in and take a foothold.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the West Tigers, NRL or State Govt had any vision they should upgrade Campbelltown Stadium and permanently base the team there as anyone one with half a brain or has ventured further west than Strathfield would know the South West of Sydney is the growth area of NSW and any team who captures that area will dominate in 10 years time with the juniors available. Otherwise the massive opportunity will be lost and another code will step in and take a foothold.
That's thinking logically... something the NRL, State & Federal Government don't do...

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I thought they went for the Horseshoe look with a view considering they are "Cowboys"