Bad recruiting

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Its hard not to agree with some of the comments on here. But things need to be put into perspective.
We have a very competitive side at the moment. It will compete with every team it plays.
Recruitment isnt easy. There needs to be quality players available. Not a lot around at present.
There needs to be finances available to pay them. Not a lot of that available at the moment.
When the club stops paying for departed players and sheds a few more, etc, there will be finance available. That looks like 2021.
I suggest that all followers just take it easy and let things happen. Believe me, it will happen.
And you said I had to stop talking sense! :-)
I think the squad is in better shape than it was 12 months ago in all key aspects - experience, skills and attitude.
There is simply no reason we cannot push into the 8 this year with a better start, a bit more consistency and never say die attitude (some good luck with injuries will obviously also help).

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I have no doubt that if we can have a solid season and crack the top 8 then we will become more attractive to players looking for a change. Money is not everything these days, players want to play finals and if we look like we’re on the up then it might just get us over the line with a few players. Souths have an obvious advantage in getting players like latrell and addo Carr due to their indigenous connection and that would be a huge draw card for them to go. I like to think we’ve always had a pretty strong kiwi influence and there’s no reason why we can’t lure over some of the best young kiwi talent especially with Corey, dallin, Jeremy and foz around
That's wonderful but we're expected to come second last. I don't think we will and instead finish just outside the bottom four. If we're being serious we can't rely on that.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Yes and that's exactly why I think the club is being careful and saying nothing publicly.
People love to take the piss out of the 'DNA' thing - but they've made clear they want the right players - they have to fit.
Imagine spending big dollars on someone for 2021 (let's take Taylor as an example) and they give you very little in return. Titans got the quinella with Taylor and Hayne.
I'd like to see us avoid a similar mistake.
Another way of looking at it is instead of the club looking for pre-made Dogs players that fit, other coaches (Bellamy, Richo & Bennett) take those players and make them fit. They don't seem to be bothered about taking on these ones that we are too good for and are contesting the Top 4 every year?? DNA will come through success and building you can't expect marquee players to bend for that crap of a struggling club....and they aren't! Everyone appears to be telling us to fook off.

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Personally - for me, it comes to what positions are we looking to sign for, and what are we trying to strengthen.

If I am honest - I would not touch the back 5. I think we have a solid backline, which could score a decent amount of try's, if given the opportunity too. Plus depth. DWZ, Hoppa, R Smith are definite. Oks, Meaney, Harper (potential gun) and Averillo (highly rated) can fight it out for the remaining spots. Holland and Montoya can duke it out in Ron Massey for superstar benchie.

Where we lack - and its quite obvious - is the halves and hooker. Despite having one of our marquees there (admittedly, Foran played good footy when he wasnt injured last year) - he has nowhere near lived up to the price tag. So then we scour the market to look for a decent half. But realistically - who is there to sign?

There are no "gun" halves available right now. So are we recruiting for the sake of recruiting? (Side note - would consider Connor Watson if he was available).

Hooker - we are in dire needs for one. But again, who is available? Levi was, terrible choice. Korsaisau - we got pipped at the last second by a better Panthers offer, and plus he cited the opportunity to work under Barrett again (of which he flourished under). So do we look at a Nathan Peats? Many on here do not rate him. I personally think he is a step up from JMK, but happy to stick with what we have.

It's nice to come onto a forum and have a sook about the lack of signings - but in all honesty - who would you sign in the market at the moment that is going to 100% make our team better?

If you say Latrell - it's clear he wants to play FB, but DWZ is doing fantastically for us. Why jump at the at opportunity?
Jai Arrow - we are stacked with Forwards. Between Jackson, RFM, and CHN - I would not touch our starting forward pack. Admittedly he would make it better, but it's not worth strengthening an area we are good in.

Players who were considered on the market:

Moylan - would get more service out of tampon
Johnston - No thanks
Adam Douehi - bloke doesn't know if he's a 1,3,4,6,7,9,14 or orange peeler. Wish the kid nothing but the best, but I have not seen quality from him yet.

So again -to re-state.. if you're going to sook about the current state - who would you sign that would better our team?
I would chase To’o from the Panthers,to replace Okunbor and put Smith in the centre’s ..
DWZ
MEANEY
SMITH
HOPOATE
TO’O
nice backline
I would bring Green in to partner Wakeham in the halves..
Green has 1yr to run at Warriors and may be homesick
Release Cogger and put Lewis at lock to sure up the defence.
Those 2 signings would solve the halves and centre issue..
Lastly,I would bring in Sam Lisone from the Warriors to replace Tolman..
Let’s give JMK and Katoa a chance before chasing another hooker
Dog 4 Life

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Personally - for me, it comes to what positions are we looking to sign for, and what are we trying to strengthen.

If I am honest - I would not touch the back 5. I think we have a solid backline, which could score a decent amount of try's, if given the opportunity too. Plus depth. DWZ, Hoppa, R Smith are definite. Oks, Meaney, Harper (potential gun) and Averillo (highly rated) can fight it out for the remaining spots. Holland and Montoya can duke it out in Ron Massey for superstar benchie.

Where we lack - and its quite obvious - is the halves and hooker. Despite having one of our marquees there (admittedly, Foran played good footy when he wasnt injured last year) - he has nowhere near lived up to the price tag. So then we scour the market to look for a decent half. But realistically - who is there to sign?

There are no "gun" halves available right now. So are we recruiting for the sake of recruiting? (Side note - would consider Connor Watson if he was available).

Hooker - we are in dire needs for one. But again, who is available? Levi was, terrible choice. Korsaisau - we got pipped at the last second by a better Panthers offer, and plus he cited the opportunity to work under Barrett again (of which he flourished under). So do we look at a Nathan Peats? Many on here do not rate him. I personally think he is a step up from JMK, but happy to stick with what we have.

It's nice to come onto a forum and have a sook about the lack of signings - but in all honesty - who would you sign in the market at the moment that is going to 100% make our team better?

If you say Latrell - it's clear he wants to play FB, but DWZ is doing fantastically for us. Why jump at the at opportunity?
Jai Arrow - we are stacked with Forwards. Between Jackson, RFM, and CHN - I would not touch our starting forward pack. Admittedly he would make it better, but it's not worth strengthening an area we are good in.

Johnston - No thanks
Adam Douehi - bloke doesn't know if he's a 1,3,4,6,7,9,14 or orange peeler. Wish the kid nothing but the best, but I have not seen quality from him yet.

So again -to re-state.. if you're going to sook about the current state - who would you sign that would better our team?
I would of been after a hooker, centre (potentially another winger since Reimis can play in the centres), prop and winger as soon as November 1st hit last year for 2021. I would of wrote this year off (if we're being serious unless there is a miracle it already is) and put everything into 2021. Now there are less options (I don't care if other clubs haven't recruited for 2021, they have for 2020 and got them over one year early or retained) and we're going to be relying on players breaking contract. Looking through the options now and it's almost better to wait another year and just front load contract and go again for 2022 (are we just going to keep doing this until 2030?) At the time (November last year) every position besides Hooker with Grant being the only real option there (Turpin turned us down) there were options. Either way we're going to have to entice players to come with money as we're not an attraction and to be frank we're almost the last NRL club a player will want to sign for. We know we've been in for players and we've got none of them where there was actual competition for them (just before anyone brings up DWZ there was no competition besides the Eels and that was for centre where he obviously doesn't want to play). Mid season signings are our best bet but they're also not guaranteed and we have to spend X amount of our salary cap before the start of the season.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I would chase To’o from the Panthers,to replace Okunbor and put Smith in the centre’s ..
DWZ
MEANEY
SMITH
HOPOATE
TO’O
nice backline
Dog 4 Life
I'm sorry but those signings are not enough to have us expected to not finish in the bottom four and even better make the eight. I honestly don't think it'll change much at all and we'll still have a lot of money to spend.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's wonderful but we're expected to come second last. I don't think we will and instead finish just outside the bottom four. If we're being serious we can't rely on that.
I think were a good chance of the top 8 for sure. I have my doubts about getting any more decent recruits for 2020, I am more thinking about a good result next season in the hope of luring some decent players across for 2021. Fingers crossed

Nakidog

Waterboy
Reaction score

Johnston - No thanks

Couldn't agree more mate. Would love to see Averillo and Harper given plenty of time this season to see where their best fit is for the future and would love to see Wakeham given the #7 shirt for the season and Lewis, Cogger and Averillo fight for the #6 jersey. That way come 2021 when we have the war chest we know if we have the right kids in the kennel or if we have to go out and recruit a marquee 7, 6 or 9. I think 2020 is going to provide us with plenty of answers for 2021 and beyond and for me, I'm happy we are giving the local juniors first crack at cementing a spot before we open the war chest in 2021

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Another way of looking at it is instead of the club looking for pre-made Dogs players that fit, other coaches (Bellamy, Richo & Bennett) take those players and make them fit. They don't seem to be bothered about taking on these ones that we are too good for and are contesting the Top 4 every year?? DNA will come through success and building you can't expect marquee players to bend for that crap of a struggling club....and they aren't! Everyone appears to be telling us to fook off.
Sure - those coaches/clubs have built great systems/cultures - no-one denies that - but we are still putting that together so I’ll reserve my judgement until I see who we’ve signed for 2021. There’s simply no evidence that players are specifically turning us down - all rumour. Most 2021 signings to date have been retentions, not players moving elsewhere having deliberately brushed the Dogs.

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm sorry but those signings are not enough to have us expected to not finish in the bottom four and even better make the eight. I honestly don't think it'll change much at all and we'll still have a lot of money to spend.
The question asked was..
“Who would you sign to better our team?”
To’o is a finisher and would score a lot of tries outside of Hoppa..
Green is quality and has a good kicking game..how is he not a step up from Lewis in the 6 or a busted Foran?
Lewis at lock tightens up defence..how is that not an improvement?
Lisone is an underrated prop that has a big motor..Tolman becomes surplus to needs and ends the ‘Tolman has it on the last’ bullshit..
Again..how is that not an improvement??
We don’t know how Katoa goes with our squad yet,and JMK greatly improved toward the end of 2019..
If Katoa isn’t the answer,then with the signings I have suggested,there would be plenty left over for a gun hooker..
If one happened to fall onto the open market
Dog 4 Life

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And you said I had to stop talking sense! :-)
I think the squad is in better shape than it was 12 months ago in all key aspects - experience, skills and attitude.
There is simply no reason we cannot push into the 8 this year with a better start, a bit more consistency and never say die attitude (some good luck with injuries will obviously also help).
At first, I personally thought that the 8 is a bit of a stretch for us.

But then you look at all the key acquisitions for all teams, verse the players lost to retirement, overseas, other clubs... and it appears to be a more even playing field.

IMHO - the only teams who have bettered their teams from last year are:

Parramatta - fantastic recruitment
Rabbitohs are definitely stronger - but let's not forget, they lost Sam Burgess.
Tigers - made some decent signings and SHOULD be better. But remember - no recognized hooker available.
Cowboys - Robson, Holmes, Marsters are fantastic acquisitions. Rid themselves of deadwood, aside from the retirement of Matt Scott (who has not played his best in years)

DWZ
MEANEY
SMITH
HOPOATE
TO’O
nice backline
Dog 4 Life
Green is still contracted to the Warriors and is a stead head in that team. Good luck
Lewis is not a lock.
Lisone is decent, but Tolman does the job for us. Most effective tackler in our team
Not a fan of running with the depth we have as our 2 hookers, but not much we can do for now

I would of been after a hooker, centre (potentially another winger since Reimis can play in the centres), prop and winger as soon as November 1st hit last year for 2021. I would of wrote this year off (if we're being serious unless there is a miracle it already is) and put everything into 2021. Now there are less options (I don't care if other clubs haven't recruited for 2021, they have for 2020 and got them over one year early or retained) and we're going to be relying on players breaking contract. Looking through the options now and it's almost better to wait another year and just front load contract and go again for 2022 (are we just going to keep doing this until 2030?) At the time (November last year) every position besides Hooker with Grant being the only real option there (Turpin turned us down) there were options. Either way we're going to have to entice players to come with money as we're not an attraction and to be frank we're almost the last NRL club a player will want to sign for. We know we've been in for players and we've got none of them where there was actual competition for them (just before anyone brings up DWZ there was no competition besides the Eels and that was for centre where he obviously doesn't want to play). Mid season signings are our best bet but they're also not guaranteed and we have to spend X amount of our salary cap before the start of the season.
I still expect some movement before the NRL season start. There could be a domino effect.

As for the part where you are willing to pay overs, just remember clubs of late who have done that on several players (Tigers, Parramatta etc). Its a dangerous game.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Sure - those coaches/clubs have built great systems/cultures - no-one denies that - but we are still putting that together so I’ll reserve my judgement until I see who we’ve signed for 2021. There’s simply no evidence that players are specifically turning us down - all rumour. Most 2021 signings to date have been retentions, not players moving elsewhere having deliberately brushed the Dogs.
Remember that was us, we were a powerhouse. Even higher then the Rorters and it wasn't that long ago. Unfortunately it was all thrown away. My concern is Lyn is trying her Dad's blue print and perhaps does not have her own plan or a plan B. I don't know if it can work in an era of no loyalty and players who couldn't care less. The evidence to me is that no-one has said yes and until we do make that signing that is how the evidence will look.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The question asked was..
“Who would you sign to better our team?”
To’o is a finisher and would score a lot of tries outside of Hoppa..
Green is quality and has a good kicking game..how is he not a step up from Lewis in the 6 or a busted Foran?
Lewis at lock tightens up defence..how is that not an improvement?
Lisone is an underrated prop that has a big motor..Tolman becomes surplus to needs and ends the ‘Tolman has it on the last’ bullshit..
Again..how is that not an improvement??
We don’t know how Katoa goes with our squad yet,and JMK greatly improved toward the end of 2019..
If Katoa isn’t the answer,then with the signings I have suggested,there would be plenty left over for a gun hooker..
If one happened to fall onto the open market
Dog 4 Life
To'o is slightly better than what we have.
Green is turning 34 this year and he's already been with us earlier in his career. He also struggled towards the back of last season with the Warriors. I saw some very ordinary things.
Lewis is never going to play lock you need to get that out of your head. I really don't get where this comes from and why.
I've never heard anyone mention Lisone or seen him play. It's very possible Tolman is re-signed (and Elliott by the way) but if he isn't we're going to need a better replacement than that.
Panthers had a hooker crises like us last season and they've given us their second or third string hooker and signed Koroisau (who was a target of ours). Katoa also contacted us and not the other way around. Pay had also said hooker was an area he wasn't happy with and wanted to strengthen (which imo means JMK isn't good enough as a starting hooker, great off the bench tho).
We're not going to sign them if they're on the open market unless we pay dumb money or they have no other options (I think To'o will be the only player there that'll actually have options if he even makes it to November). Not sure how you can't see that. Why do you think other clubs pay dumb money? Most of them are also in a better position than us.
Depending on quality we're going to need 3-5 NRL players better than what we currently have to be a top eight team. It's going to be a long time before we're a top four team or contending for the premiership or grand final. Unless we're hoping for a Leicester City 15-16 run.

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Remember that was us, we were a powerhouse. Even higher then the Rorters and it wasn't that long ago. Unfortunately it was all thrown away. My concern is Lyn is trying her Dad's blue print and perhaps does not have her own plan or a plan B. I don't know if it can work in an era of no loyalty and players who couldn't care less. The evidence to me is that no-one has said yes and until we do make that signing that is how the evidence will look.
But it’s not evidence mate, it’s speculation (re: ‘failed’ signings). As for the blueprint - we’re not there yet. I’ve said repeatedly on here, this board needs 2 terms / 4 years to turn the ship around (done) and set the course for the future (next 2 years). If they don’t deliver in these next two years good chance they’ll be gone too. Lynne has recently won two awards for leadership and is CEO of Paralympics Australia - she’s no dope and you don’t get awards or those kinds of jobs if you’re not fit for them. The assumption that she’s automatically applying the Bullfrog blueprint is only because she’s his daughter and the only evidence I’ve seen of her doing anything similar to her dad is the restoration of the family club approach - embrace the players, their welfare and families. And that’s a good thing in my view. DWZ among others seem to agree. Any other comparison just can’t be made because the eras are so different.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
At first, I personally thought that the 8 is a bit of a stretch for us.

But then you look at all the key acquisitions for all teams, verse the players lost to retirement, overseas, other clubs... and it appears to be a more even playing field.

IMHO - the only teams who have bettered their teams from last year are:

Parramatta - fantastic recruitment
Rabbitohs are definitely stronger - but let's not forget, they lost Sam Burgess.
Tigers - made some decent signings and SHOULD be better. But remember - no recognized hooker available.
Cowboys - Robson, Holmes, Marsters are fantastic acquisitions. Rid themselves of deadwood, aside from the retirement of Matt Scott (who has not played his best in years)

Green is still contracted to the Warriors and is a stead head in that team. Good luck
Lewis is not a lock.
Lisone is decent, but Tolman does the job for us. Most effective tackler in our team
Not a fan of running with the depth we have as our 2 hookers, but not much we can do for now

I still expect some movement before the NRL season start. There could be a domino effect.

As for the part where you are willing to pay overs, just remember clubs of late who have done that on several players (Tigers, Parramatta etc). Its a dangerous game.
Why do other clubs do that tho? We're in the same boat as them and possibly worse (to be honest we are compared to a lot of them). Tigers are paying 600k a year for Doueihi why? They're in a much better position than us (attraction wise) and I know that's hard to take considering how much BM i've seen thrown towards them.

AucklandDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
DWZ
MEANEY
SMITH
HOPOATE
TO’O
nice backline
Dog 4 Life
Green is 33 going onto 34.

With the players off contract this year, I would target;
Luke Thompson
Tyson Frizell
Ryan James
Kyle Feldt
Jake Friend

Release
Foran
Tolman
Montoya
Holland
Sue
Elliott
RFM

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
But it’s not evidence mate, it’s speculation (re: ‘failed’ signings). As for the blueprint - we’re not there yet. I’ve said repeatedly on here, this board needs 2 terms / 4 years to turn the ship around (done) and set the course for the future (next 2 years). If they don’t deliver in these next two years good chance they’ll be gone too. Lynne has recently won two awards for leadership and is CEO of Paralympics Australia - she’s no dope and you don’t get awards or those kinds of jobs if you’re not fit for them. The assumption that she’s automatically applying the Bullfrog blueprint is only because she’s his daughter and the only evidence I’ve seen of her doing anything similar to her dad is the restoration of the family club approach - embrace the players, their welfare and families. And that’s a good thing in my view. DWZ among others seem to agree. Any other comparison just can’t be made because the eras are so different.
We do agree about looking after players, their families, the fact she will have 2 terms and then be judged. I do hope they succeed and I love how DWZ is talking us up. Surely that helps.

Their current ability to recruit I do have doubts upon and come 2021 there will be no-where left to hide I think. 2021 will be their final judgement. Let's also remember that a certain female person prior to her had come from running Netball NZ, received some award (that I can't remember now) and went on to RU. Sometimes the fact they tick a box in gender equality is enough to get jobs so I will certainly wait to see what her actual results are. If anything the last one taught us that... and before I get called sexist by anyone I fully admit their is bags of shite males aswell. Best person for the job either way IMO.

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Green is 33 going onto 34.

With the players off contract this year, I would target;
Luke Thompson
Tyson Frizell
Ryan James
Kyle Feldt
Jake Friend

Release
Foran
Tolman
Montoya
Holland
Sue
Elliott
RFM
Wouldn't be a bad team USO. If only we could nab Munster as well!

Realistically i think we would only nab 2 of those players you have mentioned

DWZ
Meaney
Smith
Hoppa
Feldt
Munster
Wakeham
Thompson
Friend
James
CHN
Frizell
Jackson

Napa
To'omaga
Stimson
JMK

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Is that the same experts that said we were certainties for the spoon the past two seasons?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Is that the same experts that said we were certainties for the spoon the past two seasons?
It's where we're expected to finish at the start of the season. There are always teams that do better or worse than what's expected. I've already told you that and also that I think we'll finish just outside the bottom four. It's a lot more likely we get the wooden spoon than make the eight tho. I believe we over performed last year. We've barely strengthened whereas others have (e.g. Cowboys) as well as I believe a few of the teams that finish below us are better than us on paper and had a poor season last year (e.g. Dragons). Titans are the only team I can say we're "certainties" to finish above with the Warriors close to that.

Last edited: