Addo Carr

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Can we get Bryson Goodwin or Mitch Brown instead?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not sure why people are surprised that he's going to Souths. I'm certainly not shocked. Bennett. Premiership hopefuls. Good friend Mitchell etc. Player swap Melbourne are happy with.

We're not going to attract people until we can consistently show that we can challenge in the comp. It's going to take a good year for us to gain some respect and belief, and then I think we'll be able to get some of these players looking elsewhere.

100% would've liked him to come, but let's not kid ourselves and say that he was a priority signing. This isn't a statement for or against the Board to make it clear before the usual suspects try to create drama about that side of things.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Not sure why people are surprised that he's going to Souths. I'm certainly not shocked. Bennett. Premiership hopefuls. Good friend Mitchell etc. Player swap Melbourne are happy with.

We're not going to attract people until we can consistently show that we can challenge in the comp. It's going to take a good year for us to gain some respect and belief, and then I think we'll be able to get some of these players looking elsewhere.

100% would've liked him to come, but let's not kid ourselves and say that he was a priority signing. This isn't a statement for or against the Board to make it clear before the usual suspects try to create drama about that side of things.
Who is the player swap?

Bottom clubs are not able to show they can challenge in the comp because the top teams stockpile talent (using means outside the salary cap you could make a strong argument for) and the bottom teams are scrambling with each other over the leftover shit. Round and round the Mulberry bush, the same teams will challenge for the premiership this year, and next year, and the year after that.....while the other clubs can just hope they don't win the wooden spoon. The NRL's a joke.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Who is the player swap?

Bottom clubs are not able to show they can challenge in the comp because the top teams stockpile talent (using means outside the salary cap you could make a strong argument for) and the bottom teams are scrambling with each other over the leftover shit. Round and round the Mulberry bush, the same teams will challenge for the premiership this year, and next year, and the year after that.....while the other clubs can just hope they don't win the wooden spoon. The NRL's a joke.
Yep and yet our guys are saying, we will not pay overs blah blah. The only way to brake the cycle is to force ourselves out of it by signing someone on overs and improving our table position until we are mainstays again. Then we can worry about players coming for the "right" price! Dogs DNA is becoming a curse.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Hearing Doueihi to Tigers and Tigers to give souths a forward. Fox to Souths. Not sure how true
What forward would tigers have that Souths would be interested in ? Seems unlikely but stranger things have happened

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep and yet our guys are saying, we will not pay overs blah blah. The only way to brake the cycle is to force ourselves out of it by signing someone on overs and improving our table position until we are mainstays again. Then we can worry about players coming for the "right" price! Dogs DNA is becoming a curse.
Can’t pay overs to someone who doesn’t want to come here. Mitchell was offered a large contract here, but he went to Souths. It’ll be the same for Addo Carr.

Players don’t want to come here, and the Dogs don’t have the cap space to bring them here, at least until 2021.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
N
Can’t pay overs to someone who doesn’t want to come here. Mitchell was offered a large contract here, but he went to Souths. It’ll be the same for Addo Carr.

Players don’t want to come here, and the Dogs don’t have the cap space to bring them here, at least until 2021.
not true the club said they weren’t interested in lattrell ,our recruitment are half asleep and are getting schooled by every club and some on here just make a million excuses for them yet other clubs just make it happen,i do like the culture the club is trying to build here but people need to take their blue and white goggles off our recruitment has been very very poor.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
N

not true the club said they weren’t interested in lattrell ,our recruitment are half asleep and are getting schooled by every club and some on here just make a million excuses for them yet other clubs just make it happen,i do like the culture the club is trying to build here but people need to take their blue and white goggles off our recruitment has been very very poor.
Hmmm. See where you're coming from and agree to a point.

Again looking from the outside the positions we really need to strengthen are hooker, half, and centre. Looking at those 3 positions:

- No good halves on the market on the market and 350,000 is nothing from Foran. Can't call that poor.

- Centre we missed out on Mitchell (always going to Souths). Who else? Scott? (off-field issues) Ramien (always going to Sharks)? Others? Would've been great to have had those players but honestly think none were ever going to come to us so why waste more time trying to get them to come.

- Hooker I do think we dropped the ball on that one. Api did a 11th hour turn around and he went to Penrith. Yes, we don't want a player who doesn't want to be here but ... Plus he was maybe the 3-4th attempt at getting a hooker so I think this was poor from our recruitment side of things.

Missing out on Addo-Carr is a bummer as I would've loved him with us without a doubt! Not going to hide that. But was that poor recruiting? Winger isn't a key position so any player recruited in that position is a luxury in many ways so you don't want to spend too much over on him ... especially when his heart seems to be elsewhere ... ?

Let's not forget that recruitment also involved retaining players which is what we did pretty well this year, no?

Was recruitment good? I wouldn't say it's great as we're missing a back without doubt. But at the same time we haven't splashed money just for the sake of it, kept our best players. I'd say it's an average to good recruitment window though you can't judge now. Wouldn't say it's poor though.

Just my thoughts.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Recruitment has been abysmal.

Retention has been ok. If then retain the plodders then it will be a laugh.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Incorrect, a offer was tabled, he sat on it, in this time he had seen the tigers also, but we withdrew the offer before he had a decision

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Incorrect, a offer was tabled, he sat on it, in this time he had seen the tigers also, but we withdrew the offer before he had a decision
True but you didn’t mention all of the bullshit and fuck around from him and his camp. We weren’t playing his games, especially for that sort of money

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
There's stories this way and the other way and no-one really knows the truth except the club. All we have is the evidence and the evidence shows us so far that numerous high profile players have become available, we are struggling for talent and marketable players and we have signed zero of them. We have a boat load of cash for 2021 which is what the club hinged itself on when clearing our best players and paying them to play against us.

Now that the recruiting for 2021 has started (Nov last year) we are hearing nothing about that war chest, it's dropped off the agenda (from the club) for things to look forward to. We have no major sponsor for this year which obviously says that our brand isn't seen as worth it to put your name to. That is the facts so far is it not? I have liked some things we have done but being honest something is off with recruitment. I am concerned our war chest will be intentionally blown to average players so we can be compliant with the min salary cap spend, if we do this we are back at square one are we not? Bog average players on way too much money and nothing we can do about it?

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's stories this way and the other way and no-one really knows the truth except the club. All we have is the evidence and the evidence shows us so far that numerous high profile players have become available, we are struggling for talent and marketable players and we have signed zero of them. We have a boat load of cash for 2021 which is what the club hinged itself on when clearing our best players and paying them to play against us.

Now that the recruiting for 2021 has started (Nov last year) we are hearing nothing about that war chest, it's dropped off the agenda (from the club) for things to look forward to. We have no major sponsor for this year which obviously says that our brand isn't seen as worth it to put your name to. That is the facts so far is it not? I have liked some things we have done but being honest something is off with recruitment. I am concerned our war chest will be intentionally blown to average players so we can be compliant with the min salary cap spend, if we do this we are back at square one are we not? Bog average players on way too much money and nothing we can do about it?
Its very rare that a player or club will announce a signing for 2021 while playing for another team in 2020.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Its very rare that a player or club will announce a signing for 2021 while playing for another team in 2020.
Not rare, clubs just usually send them over a year earlier which is happening all the time now.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Correct. We have no cash for this year so we can't get anyone over early
Great post and everyone forgets this.
We have a bit free but no where near what people think. Add that to GrogDog’s post about players coming early and it’s obvious