Bad recruiting

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes, but it's a swap deal because the Tigers need a hooker for 2020 (Grant) and the Storm need a centre (Momirovski) and they return to their respective clubs in 2021 - at least that's the plan. NRL still have to approve it.
Don’t take this the wrong way mate cause it’s not a knock towards yourself, I appreciate all updates on the club. But why does 2021 seem to be mentioned as a defence every time somebody criticises our recruitment? I get funds are limited for 2020 but we have been able to recruit for 2021 since Nov 1 which was 3 months ago and we have got nothing so far?

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha the thing I don’t get is that most people would go their whole life and not speak the word loosing in a sentence either haha
It seriously does my head in...wait until the match day threads return... You'll 'loose' your mind

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no doubt that if we can have a solid season and crack the top 8 then we will become more attractive to players looking for a change. Money is not everything these days, players want to play finals and if we look like we’re on the up then it might just get us over the line with a few players. Souths have an obvious advantage in getting players like latrell and addo Carr due to their indigenous connection and that would be a huge draw card for them to go. I like to think we’ve always had a pretty strong kiwi influence and there’s no reason why we can’t lure over some of the best young kiwi talent especially with Corey, dallin, Jeremy and foz around
Well said!!

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Theres a few decent on that 2021 list that might be worth a look. I am still looking forward to hopefully getting a glimpse of some of our own juniors coming through this year that will hopefully take the worry out of missing out on some key positions. Tass, Averillo and Topine could be the goods. Also the young Half from Mackay? which name escapes me. Not all doom and gloom I believe.

Also hoping DWZ with a full pre-season with our squad finds another level. Stimson I think will surprise a few.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Don’t take this the wrong way mate cause it’s not a knock towards yourself, I appreciate all updates on the club. But why does 2021 seem to be mentioned as a defence every time somebody criticises our recruitment? I get funds are limited for 2020 but we have been able to recruit for 2021 since Nov 1 which was 3 months ago and we have got nothing so far?
Agree to an extent, but also not too many 2021 from other clubs around bar Arrow? Could be wrong I cant remember too many, a lot of retentions/extensions though.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The next three or four months will determine everything. If they haven't signed anyone of note for 2021 by then and the team performs as badly as it did the first half of the last two seasons, then it would be hard for anyone to justify Pay, Hill and co keeping their jobs.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
All good mate - always up for sensible debate/discussion regardless of who ends up agreeing with each other :-)
You're right about the transfer window - however any expectation of several signings being announced in November I think was misguided.
No other club did it and we've only seen a couple trickle through since then.
Personally I think the NRL should change this policy to 1 April - 6 months should be plenty of time to work out a deal for the following year.

I can't say for sure, but think there's two reasons we haven't announced 2021 yet:

1) When a player decides to move clubs 12 months out often their current club is happy to cut them loose. Notable exceptions now: Titans won't let Arrow and Storm won't let Addo-Carr go for 2020 - we'll see if either of those change.
With our limited funds for 2020 - if we announced a 2021 deal and the player's current club cut them loose - we likely couldn't accommodate them for 2020. We MAY be able to accomodate a mid-season signing, but we'll see.

2) We like all clubs have a number of players off contract end of 2020. We've never announced this early who's not being renewed and if we made announcements for 2021 before a ball has been kicked there'd be players who'd know they are out. Not a great way to start a season with heads hanging.

I strongly believe the club is active with plans for 2021 and beyond - there is simply no way they could not be.
There's just very deliberate reasons why they're not talking about it yet. I noted at the forum in December when they were asked about 2021 they deliberately hosed the question down - most likely because most of the playing group were there.
2021 could include agreements already in place where the club has said 'we can't take you for 2020, so we won't announce until an agreed date after the 2020 season has kicked off'.
I know there's lots of opinions that we are not attractive, that we have to pay overs etc and that's all fine. I personally think it's more related to the club being very selective about who they want and when they want them, combined with a new crop of young fellas coming through.
To me 2021 smells like 2009 - we'll likely end up buying 4 or 5 established players and combine them with who we already have.
Some will call me naive or whatever and that's fine - we will all know soon enough which way it pans out.

Cheers

Last edited:

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Someone should start a tread about the terrible recruiting at the club.
No ones ever discussed that before.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I personally believe we could have recruited much better than we have.

But in saying that , i dont believe there is enough "good" talent to fill 16 clubs. The NRL as a whole is going through a shit patch.

Tigers have the money but are missing out on players because they have stuck to their guns and not paying overs anymore except for LM offer. Even then they played hardball with him.

More clubs need to take a stand and stop paying overs.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The next three or four months will determine everything. If they haven't signed anyone of note for 2021 by then and the team performs as badly as it did the first half of the last two seasons, then it would be hard for anyone to justify Pay, Hill and co keeping their jobs.
The club wont want to talk about it but you are right I believe. I think we intended to recruit a couple of players by now but our poor recent playing history, previous salary cap issues, rookie coach, no major corporate sponsor and shitty press has made us smell a little to player managers and players looking to have a chance of a premiership.

Its nothing sinister and just a result of multiple issues right or wrong we have dealt with as a club, and only we can change the momentum. Unfortunately apart from the couple of b grade signings + Stimson we have the same core group + some promising Juniors to work with, fortunately that same core group found some cohesion the last third of 2019.

If we are 5 or 6 wins from 10 to start the season and totally committed in every game (no floggings) we will get favourable press which will help lure sponsors and provide players that are unhappy for whatever reason that we are an option before June 30 or for 2021 and beyond. It will give cred to the coach and the board's direction, winning fixes everything. If we dont...things will get tougher.

As supporters we all have opinions about who did what, why things went south or who should be coaching or playing. However, the only real thing we can do to assist whatever 17 run out in those first 10 games is to be the most vocal fans in the comp, turn up on mass at as many games as we can, buy merch and memberships.

Or, we can just all sit around the Kennel and bullshit to each other about how fucked things are..?

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
All good mate - always up for sensible debate/discussion regardless of who ends up agreeing with each other :-)
You're right about the transfer window - however any expectation of several signings being announced in November I think was misguided.
Personally I think the NRL should change this policy to 1 April - 6 months should be plenty of time to work out a deal for the following year.

I can't say for sure, but think there's two reasons we haven't announced 2021 yet:

1) When a player decides to move clubs 12 months out often their current club is happy to cut them loose. Notable exceptions now: Titans won't let Arrow and Storm won't let Addo-Carr go for 2020 - we'll see if either of those change.
With our limited funds for 2020 - if we announced a 2021 deal and the player's current club cut them loose - we likely couldn't accommodate them for 2020. We MAY be able to accomodate a mid-season signing, but we'll see.

2) We like all clubs have a number of players off contract end of 2020. We've never announced this early who's not being renewed and if we made announcements for 2021 before a ball has been kicked there'd be players who'd know they are out. Not a great way to start a season with heads hanging.

I strongly believe the club is active with plans for 2021 and beyond - there is simply no way they could not be.
There's just very deliberate reasons why they're not talking about it yet. I noted at the forum in December when they were asked about 2021 they deliberately hosed the question down - most likely because most of the playing group were there.
2021 could include agreements already in place where the club has said 'we can't take you for 2020, so we won't announce until an agreed date after the 2020 season has kicked off'.
I know there's lots of opinions that we are not attractive, that we have to pay overs etc and that's all fine. I personally think it's more related to the club being very selective about who they want and when they want them. combined with a new crop of young fellas coming through.
To me 2021 smells like 2009 - we'll likely end up buying 4 or 5 established players and combine them with who we already have.
Some will call me naive or whatever and that's fine - we will all know soon enough which way it pans out.

Cheers
I think you make a fair point about signing a player for 2021 and then wanting the early release for this year cause we wouldn’t be able to do it unless the contract was back ended (which is a taboo word these days)

Good the club is keeping their cards close to their chest then all will be revealed in the next 6-12 months. I suppose from my view point the annoying thing is as some have mentioned 2021 is always thrown up and that’s actually been instigated by the club. Don’t quote me but we were told that’s when we will be actively recruit marquee players. It just seems unrealistic in my view for too many reasons to list.

But this is something I’d be happy to be wrong about.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who's on the market for 2021?
Don't think that's relevant anymore.. pretty sure any player can do whatever they want these days if the negotiations go right.

We should be poaching the fcuk out of blokes like vaughan, McInnes and Ryan James. These guys would fit the bulldog culture perfectly.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Don't think that's relevant anymore.. pretty sure any player can do whatever they want these days if the negotiations go right.
Agreed, especially when every player changing clubs either wiggled out of a contract or want to

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The club wont want to talk about it but you are right I believe. I think we intended to recruit a couple of players by now but our poor recent playing history, previous salary cap issues, rookie coach, no major corporate sponsor and shitty press has made us smell a little to player managers and players looking to have a chance of a premiership.

Its nothing sinister and just a result of multiple issues right or wrong we have dealt with as a club, and only we can change the momentum. Unfortunately apart from the couple of b grade signings + Stimson we have the same core group + some promising Juniors to work with, fortunately that same core group found some cohesion the last third of 2019.

If we are 5 or 6 wins from 10 to start the season and totally committed in every game (no floggings) we will get favourable press which will help lure sponsors and provide players that are unhappy for whatever reason that we are an option before June 30 or for 2021 and beyond. It will give cred to the coach and the board's direction, winning fixes everything. If we dont...things will get tougher.

As supporters we all have opinions about who did what, why things went south or who should be coaching or playing. However, the only real thing we can do to assist whatever 17 run out in those first 10 games is to be the most vocal fans in the comp, turn up on mass at as many games as we can, buy merch and memberships.

Or, we can just all sit around the Kennel and bullshit to each other about how fucked things are..?
Well said Baz. If we keep the momentum from last season and start off the season strongly, then better signings will follow shortly after. If we start off poorly, then it will be hard to make impactful signings.

I just hope if we have another poor season that Hill and Pay are held accountable and not extended regardless through some misguided loyalty. Conversely, if we have a great season and make good signings, then they would have earned extensions..

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

I know there's lots of opinions that we are not attractive, that we have to pay overs etc and that's all fine. I personally think it's more related to the club being very selective about who they want and when they want them. combined with a new crop of young fellas coming through.
Cheers
Hooray, well said, at least there is someone around here who understands how contracts are negotiated and what NDA's (non disclosure agreements) are there for. The player and/or the club, for many reasons, may not want to release information on contracts already signed for 2021. Noting that it is quite legal for a player to sign a commercial contract that binds them to, at some predetermined time in the future, signing an NRL contract with a club. Included in that will be non disclosure clauses for all of the parties involved, including big mouthed player agents.

From my previous post on who is off contract this year (not in any way suggesting that they are at all all suitable for us);
Bird
DFafita
Kahu
Milford
Bateman
Cotric

Soliola
Wighton
Bukuya
SKatoa (the other one)
Copley
Don
Peats
Proctor
TRoberts
A&J Hopoate
Metcalf
Johns (Matt's boy)
Lumelume
Guerra
Moga
Saifiti
Green
Asiata
Cooper
Dunn
Feldt
Molo
Simpkins
Evans
Gower
GJennings
Takairangi
Terepo
Cartwright
Edwards
Ellis
MWZ
Frizell
Salilor
Johnston
Knight
Rodwell
Syronen
Aubuson
Butcher
Friend
Hutchison
Ikuvalu
Lam
Eisenhuth
RJennings
McIntyre
McQueen
Momirovski
Taylor

That's about 60 or so, and what do we need 2, 3 maybe 4 NRL level players? Most of the above are IMHO not much better than what we have and probably wouldn't even be considered, but there are plenty enough to fill the spots that do need filling. I highlighted a few that I think might fit if our current younger players don't develop.

Go Dogs

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I think you make a fair point about signing a player for 2021 and then wanting the early release for this year cause we wouldn’t be able to do it unless the contract was back ended (which is a taboo word these days)

Good the club is keeping their cards close to their chest then all will be revealed in the next 6-12 months. I suppose from my view point the annoying thing is as some have mentioned 2021 is always thrown up and that’s actually been instigated by the club. Don’t quote me but we were told that’s when we will be actively recruit marquee players. It just seems unrealistic in my view for too many reasons to list.

But this is something I’d be happy to be wrong about.
Yeah, I don't think we'll see back-ends and ratchet clauses again and that's a good thing, that's what got us in the mess we're just about out of.
Once fully sorted it's Hilly and the boards job to keep the cap and the roster in a healthy shape going forward.
You're not wrong re: 2021 expectations, but again I think may have been taken a little too literally.
When the whole cap thing blew up, the then new board told the members at the May 2018 forum that 'we will not be able to be active in the player market until 2020, most likely 2021'.
Combine those words with the transfer window and expectation was set that by now we'd be talking about 2021 signings - which we (and most other clubs bar a couple of announcements) are not doing yet.
It will happen...

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We should be poaching the fcuk out of blokes like vaughan, McInnes and Ryan James. These guys would fit the bulldog culture perfectly.
If you are talking about Paul Vaughan he has a contract till 2021 with a Player Option for 2022 at which time he will be 31. Cameron McInnes is also contracted to 2021. Ryan James is uncontracted for 2021 (as best I can tell) then having been at the Titans for 11 years, he is on $big (reported ~$700k) plus he will be 30 in 2021, which is getting on for a heavy duty forward in the NRL.

Go Dogs

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I know there's lots of opinions that we are not attractive, that we have to pay overs etc and that's all fine. I personally think it's more related to the club being very selective about who they want and when they want them, combined with a new crop of young fellas coming through.

Cheers
Mate. If you keep applying common sense, I can see you being given the boot from here.