2020 recruits

Packstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I have had a look at our list of recruits for 2020, and there are two recruits who stand out, as i haven't got a friggen clue who they are.

Who the hell is

1. Sebastian Winters-Chang
2. Tyrone Harding

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I have had a look at our list of recruits for 2020, and there are two recruits who stand out, as i haven't got a friggen clue who they are.

Who the hell is

1. Sebastian Winters-Chang
2. Tyrone Harding
SWC - 20 year old winger from the David Fifita Keebra Park squad. Odd choice for a dev contract and I think there may be some fuckery about.

Harding - Pinched from Magpies SG Ball 2 years ago. Lanky 20yr old Aboriginal fullback.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Trust me hes the next Jizza Nguyen..

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Both played most of 2019 for Moorebank in the Sydney shield competition although they were eligible for Flegg and part of the Flegg squad. Played a bit of Flegg towards the end of the season. Agree with the "bit of fuckery" comment.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
SWC - 20 year old winger from the David Fifita Keebra Park squad. Odd choice for a dev contract and I think there may be some fuckery about.

Harding - Pinched from Magpies SG Ball 2 years ago. Lanky 20yr old Aboriginal fullback.
Still waiting for Devontai Seumanutafa to do something. Is he like constantly injured or just no where near living up to the hype?

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Still waiting for Devontai Seumanutafa to do something. Is he like constantly injured or just no where near living up to the hype?
What are you expecting to see out him out of curiosity? Haas and Fifita are absolute freaks. I don't think we will ever see 2 forwards come through at the same time like that again anytime soon. He isn't in their realm.

This was his first season out of school. Rarely do props come out swinging straight away. He might make it, he might not I have only seen highlights. I do have some patience with players like that but.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Nice, A little insight..!!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What are you expecting to see out him out of curiosity? Haas and Fifita are absolute freaks. I don't think we will ever see 2 forwards come through at the same time like that again anytime soon. He isn't in their realm.

This was his first season out of school. Rarely do props come out swinging straight away. He might make it, he might not I have only seen highlights. I do have some patience with players like that but.
I don't disagree, I'm just asking because he was hyped up as the strongest player in that team and key member of it and that was back in I think 2017? Haas is imo the best prop in the game right now while Fifita is probably the most destructive edge runner, just thought Devontai would do a little more than just play a single reserve grade game at this stage

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't disagree, I'm just asking because he was hyped up as the strongest player in that team and key member of it and that was back in I think 2017? Haas is imo the best prop in the game right now while Fifita is probably the most destructive edge runner, just thought Devontai would do a little more than just play a single reserve grade game at this stage
I’m pretty sure he’s listed in the NSW cup squad so we may see him get a little game time. Will be interesting to see if he can deliver on the wraps he had

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This whole development contract scenario is one of the most rubbish ideas the NRL has implemented in the entire time I've supported the game. Every junior is a development player, why limit a clubs options to reward current form.

Every junior in the system is hopefully there because they have shown enough talent and work ethic to deserve some recognition. As far as I see from the outside, not being recognised as worthy of these limited contracts when a player has put in a huge amount of effort can be a big mental blow for them. Some players might just have matured physically a year sooner and get offered a development contract because the system demands it. But a few rounds of football might show that any number of other players can overtake them in ability. But it's a pity that clubs have already had to lock in a list before players are able to let their efforts on field negotiate for them. It really removes the ability of clubs to reward current effort.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
This whole development contract scenario is one of the most rubbish ideas the NRL has implemented in the entire time I've supported the game. Every junior is a development player, why limit a clubs options to reward current form.

Every junior in the system is hopefully there because they have shown enough talent and work ethic to deserve some recognition. As far as I see from the outside, not being recognised as worthy of these limited contracts when a player has put in a huge amount of effort can be a big mental blow for them. Some players might just have matured physically a year sooner and get offered a development contract because the system demands it. But a few rounds of football might show that any number of other players can overtake them in ability. But it's a pity that clubs have already had to lock in a list before players are able to let their efforts on field negotiate for them. It really removes the ability of clubs to reward current effort.
That’s not actually the purpose of Development Players, previously if a player didn’t have a full NRL registered contract (minimum ~$110k) then they couldn’t play in NRL games. What registering a Development Contract with the NRL means is that if the club needs their particular skill set during a season then they can play a limited number of NRL games. It also gives the clubs the chance to give limited NRL exposure to players to see how they handle it. Without DC’s they would have had to wait until they were on a full NRL contract. The big winner out of DC’s is the clubs, they have that extra back up to their 30 without eating into their Salary Cap at the NRL minimum.

FWIW being on a DC doesn’t necessarily mean that they are getting paid more than a player not on a DC. It could just be that they play in a position that their club is short of in the 30. Being on a DC also doesn’t necessarily mean that they are guaranteed an NRL contract next time around. That’s what the club’s Pathways Manager is there for, to look after the developing players and manage their expectations.

Go Dogs

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That’s not actually the purpose of Development Players, previously if a player didn’t have a full NRL registered contract (minimum ~$110k) then they couldn’t play in NRL games. What registering a Development Contract with the NRL means is that if the club needs their particular skill set during a season then they can play a limited number of NRL games. It also gives the clubs the chance to give limited NRL exposure to players to see how they handle it. Without DC’s they would have had to wait until they were on a full NRL contract. The big winner out of DC’s is the clubs, they have that extra back up to their 30 without eating into their Salary Cap at the NRL minimum.

FWIW being on a DC doesn’t necessarily mean that they are getting paid more than a player not on a DC. It could just be that they play in a position that their club is short of in the 30. Being on a DC also doesn’t necessarily mean that they are guaranteed an NRL contract next time around. That’s what the club’s Pathways Manager is there for, to look after the developing players and manage their expectations.

Go Dogs

I do get the supposed intent of development contracts. But it's one of the failures of the salary cap that you have to pre-select a group of players. There's no guarantee that the players selected will be performing better than others if an injury crisis hits. This whole top 30 system is an issue to me.

The system would make more sense to me if they actually allowed clubs to pay a certain amount in match payments for players outside the top 30. It comes out at a bit over $4200 per match if they promote a player for a game based on the minimum wage. Let's hypothetically say that every club was allowed $8400 per week to promote up to two players that are on fire in the lower grades. Any two players could potentially leapfrog players in the top 30 that aren't performing.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

Well said - it seems to be a rule put in place by people with no idea of how players develop - keeping the option of adding players to the first grade squad after a certain date makes sense as it would provide incentive and reward for those prepared to work hard and who have on field ability. Nominating those players before the comp starts is very limiting.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I do get the supposed intent of development contracts. But it's one of the failures of the salary cap that you have to pre-select a group of players. There's no guarantee that the players selected will be performing better than others if an injury crisis hits. This whole top 30 system is an issue to me.

The system would make more sense to me if they actually allowed clubs to pay a certain amount in match payments for players outside the top 30. It comes out at a bit over $4200 per match if they promote a player for a game based on the minimum wage. Let's hypothetically say that every club was allowed $8400 per week to promote up to two players that are on fire in the lower grades. Any two players could potentially leapfrog players in the top 30 that aren't performing.
With 25 rounds at 2 players per round that’s an extra 50 players allowed to play NRL (on top of the 30 registered). That’s a bucket load of extra cash to be paid out, since players aren’t going to hang around for what might be their 1 game for $4200, there would be contract demands. Even at, say, $30k each (minimum wage) that’s $1.5m. How does a club manage its salary cap, it’s not like players are excluded from the cap if they are dropped for bad form or injured.

You can’t play NRL these days without training and concentrating 100% on your game. There’s no spare time to earn money to live on. It defeats the purpose of a salary cap which is OK for us and the “rich” teams, but others would be dropping like flies. We would have a 5 or 6 team competition. The cap is a PIA but unfortunately the alternatives are far worse.

Go Dogs

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Go Dogs
This may be the case, but what if we desperately need a halfback, and all of our development players are forwards? It's a flawed system in many ways. Another greenturd legacy.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With 25 rounds at 2 players per round that’s an extra 50 players allowed to play NRL (on top of the 30 registered). That’s a bucket load of extra cash to be paid out, since players aren’t going to hang around for what might be their 1 game for $4200, there would be contract demands. Even at, say, $30k each (minimum wage) that’s $1.5m. How does a club manage its salary cap, it’s not like players are excluded from the cap if they are dropped for bad form or injured.

You can’t play NRL these days without training and concentrating 100% on your game. There’s no spare time to earn money to live on. It defeats the purpose of a salary cap which is OK for us and the “rich” teams, but others would be dropping like flies. We would have a 5 or 6 team competition. The cap is a PIA but unfortunately the alternatives are far worse.

Go Dogs
No team uses close to 50 players in a season, so your point is somewhat mute as it's a very unlikely hypothetical.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
No team uses close to 50 players in a season, so your point is somewhat mute as it's a very unlikely hypothetical.
Of course it's hypothetical, but if it was feed up as Alan79 posted then clubs would be allowed to have up to 50. If they don't have to name them before the season starts then they can add or subtract at will. From memory to be classified as a development player they need to played a limited number of NRL games. So they play their limited number and then you bring in another one. Keeping in mind that currently DP's aren't allowed to play NRL until after 30 June. Whether its 10, 20 or 50 the "richer" clubs would just sign up the talent because they have the money, which was the point.

Go Dogs