Official Richmond Tigers

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spoke to the Mexicans. Apparently it's nothing too official and mostly at coaching level. Damien Hardwick (AFL Tigers Coach) took over that team in 2010 when they were at their lowest ebb (hadn't won a comp for 30 years) and within 10 years has guided them to two premierships.

So before the bleaters come out swinging, it's not about The Dogs aiming to win a premiership within 10 years - it's about culture, loyalty and the mission as you're in the build phase. Apparently Deano wanted no stone unturned in preparing for 2020 - or so I'm told.

That's as much as I could get - and the Tigers also regularly do tackling and other drills with the Storm as they train across the road from each other (Punt Rd & AAMI Park).
A person did ask the question about our association with Richmond at a recent football club meeting.
Paul Dunn responded in brief,
He said that we were looking at the general running and structures
In particular their membership growth over the years.
How they went from such small numbers to being massive was very impressive

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
A person did ask the question about our association with Richmond at a recent football club meeting.
Paul Dunn responded in brief,
He said that we were looking at the general running and structures
In particular their membership growth over the years.
How they went from such small numbers to being massive was very impressive
Cheers @Dogggy that's a good point.
AFL club memberships are generally much higher than NRL club memberships with Richmond currently at the top of the pile with 100k+ members - more than doubling in the last 8 years when they were cellar dwellers.
No doubt that's somewhat to do with recent on-field success and probably some good marketing lessons in there too.
There's no question we can improve our membership approach overall, so if we get good intel from them, great.

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
as we have no dedicated goal kicker, dean pay was working on the theory of every goal kick we miss we still get 1 point
I think Nick Meaney has got that!
He will start and play wing the whole season.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cheers @Dogggy that's a good point.
AFL club memberships are generally much higher than NRL club memberships with Richmond currently at the top of the pile with 100k+ members - more than doubling in the last 8 years when they were cellar dwellers.
No doubt that's somewhat to do with recent on-field success and probably some good marketing lessons in there too.
There's no question we can improve our membership approach overall, so if we get good intel from them, great.
Somebody mentioned that our average crowds were not too bad considering all circumstances
Paul was confident that with our young team getting better the crowds would also reflect
He said the membership drive and numbers is a working progress.
I personally think we have a very strong support base Sydney wide and with better performances on the field people will come back to watch the boys play
It would be nice to see between 25/30k members when we go back to ANZ which I think will be not too bad after the renovations
This is achievable with a good competitive young team.
I have never stopped attending games through this rough patch but would love to turn up every week with big numbers in support.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Spoke to the Mexicans. Apparently it's nothing too official and mostly at coaching level. Damien Hardwick (AFL Tigers Coach) took over that team in 2010 when they were at their lowest ebb (hadn't won a comp for 30 years) and within 10 years has guided them to two premierships.

So before the bleaters come out swinging, it's not about The Dogs aiming to win a premiership within 10 years - it's about culture, loyalty and the mission as you're in the build phase. Apparently Deano wanted no stone unturned in preparing for 2020 - or so I'm told.

That's as much as I could get - and the Tigers also regularly do tackling and other drills with the Storm as they train across the road from each other (Punt Rd & AAMI Park).
About time they're doing this sort of thing.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
About time they're doing this sort of thing.
I totally agree it shows that the management is trying to advance our great club and keep us competitive
We cannot take things for granted these days and obviously the Tigers have developed a winning formula
There is always room for improvement both on & off the field

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Somebody mentioned that our average crowds were not too bad considering all circumstances
Paul was confident that with our young team getting better the crowds would also reflect
He said the membership drive and numbers is a working progress.
I personally think we have a very strong support base Sydney wide and with better performances on the field people will come back to watch the boys play
It would be nice to see between 25/30k members when we go back to ANZ which I think will be not too bad after the renovations
This is achievable with a good competitive young team.
I have never stopped attending games through this rough patch but would love to turn up every week with big numbers in support.
Same mate - I’m there no matter what.
You’re right though, crowds will return as things on the field improve. Looking forward to those thundering ‘BULLDOGS!’ chants again :-)

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Same mate - I’m there no matter what.
You’re right though, crowds will return as things on the field improve. Looking forward to those thundering ‘BULLDOGS!’ chants again :-)
It’s a much better sound than crying and bleating haha

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Meaney has the potential to be a Corey oates of the Bulldogs

Craystar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Dean Pay should be trying to form some kind of relationship with the ALL BLACKS if he wants to learn the formula for success.
Yeah, the great All Blacks are going to form a relationship with an NRL club

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anyone got any info on the club working with Richmond? What sort of work was Pay doing with them and if other staff were involved, or was this just a coach to coach thing? We're also working with GWS from memory so is this a one off thing or something the club is looking at continuing?
Curious as to what Richmond will get out of it.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its a good thing we also need one with an esl club like st helens give each other first dibs when a player is leaving
If you want Israel Folau, form an alliance with Catalan Dragons - they might even throw in Sam Kasiano for free.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Ideas for new tattoos...:-)

But seriously - why do they need to get something out of it? Sharing their lessons of the path from grim to glory is likely enough for them and hopefully we get to return the favour to a different cellar dweller club one day.

Last edited:

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another step outside the box and in the right direction as other clubs and coaches have been doing this kind of stuff for years.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Another step outside the box and in the right direction as other clubs and coaches have been doing this kind of stuff for years.
Well the coach we had prior to the current one was so stubborn and set in his ways he would never have embraced that sort of thing. Thankfully Dean is open to outside ideas and influences to help shape strategy.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
They are not in it for any other reason than they might derive benefit in some way. They don't have a big Leagues club behind them for example but Richmond received $15m from the AFL in 2018 source;http://www.hpnfooty.com/?p=31622 No doubt substantially more last year as they get further away from their bad years. As a result the business models are very different, leading to plenty of learning opportunities, both ways.

Go Dogs