I Guess This Is What Pay Meant By Bringing Back The Madness :)

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Good old memory lane. Gee I miss those days. I loved being a bulldog fan during these years. My best mate at high school was a manly supporter too.
Same. Are you still mates?
I am with the same bloke after 30+ years. We’ve managed to overcome our mutual disdain for our footy teams :-).

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
After a while it made me sad watching that. That's the way I remember "proper" footy, not this game of tag today. 80% of the current players wouldn't last 5 minutes in that era. They would need 4 weeks off for "personal" time after a game like that.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
After a while it made me sad watching that. That's the way I remember "proper" footy, not this game of tag today. 80% of the current players wouldn't last 5 minutes in that era. They would need 4 weeks off for "personal" time after a game like that.

even 2004 era was still pretty savage... if you played against the Bulldogs that is 8-)

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Players today are far more powerful and agile, not to mention full-time professionals. Players would be dieing right now if footy was still played like that.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Players today are far more powerful and agile, not to mention full-time professionals. Players would be dieing right now if footy was still played like that.
Players don’t throw themselves at each other like they used to, the concussion rule would have them off the park too quick.

Saw highlights of the 75 GF on Kayo yesterday...Lord Ted was absolutely smashed and knocked out for ages, still stumbling 10 min later. Pretty sure he finished the match...no chance of it happening now

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
I think Pay will bring back the madness. Its just a matter of having the right personnel.
He needs the right personnel cause he is a shit coach and can’t get the madnesses out of the the current group. May as well say Pay will win a GF for us once he has the right personnel lol. Good coaches don’t need to wait for the right personnel.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He needs the right personnel cause he is a shit coach and can’t get the madnesses out of the the current group. May as well say Pay will win a GF for us once he has the right personnel lol. Good coaches don’t need to wait for the right personnel.
What a load of crap. Can you imagine Bart Cummings winning a Melbourne Cup with a donkey?

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
What a load of crap. Can you imagine Bart Cummings winning a Melbourne Cup with a donkey?
I think you just don’t have a clue about anything man. I mean going off what you post Lichaa was supposed to have his best year last year, Foran was going to return to his Manly days . We where headed for the top 4 and supposed to surprise everyone. You regularly post shit statements. You have no idea

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What is this madness? If its 'Im going to rip your fuckin head off"' then Hoppa, Meany, Hollland, Montoya, Elliot, Lewis, Tolman and even Napa, these bloke dont have an ounce of it in them. Maybe Napa but alot would have to change this off season for him to be the enforcer he should be. On top of that it would depend if Pay wants him to play big minutes this year because he doesn't have the motor to do both.
If its flash, well our young halves have a massive task ahead of them this year. Heres hoping and good luck to them.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
True. And someone was suggesting we’re in danger of folding/amalgamation? Manly are a basket case financially, even the Penns stopped throwing good money after bad and they have plenty of the folding stuff. Willie Mason said recently that as late as 2015 when he played there they got changed in the boots of their cars, so bad were the facilities. No wonder Barrett kicked up such a stink and then bailed.
Was also a big part of the reason Des left too. I guess he gave up and went back when no one else would have him.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What is this madness? If its 'Im going to rip your fuckin head off"' then Hoppa, Meany, Hollland, Montoya, Elliot, Lewis, Tolman and even Napa, these bloke dont have an ounce of it in them. Maybe Napa but alot would have to change this off season for him to be the enforcer he should be. On top of that it would depend if Pay wants him to play big minutes this year because he doesn't have the motor to do both.
If its flash, well our young halves have a massive task ahead of them this year. Heres hoping and good luck to them.
It's not far fetched for a coach to bring out the mongrel in players,the team, the club or even their fans. Warren Ryan bought out the toughness in the Dogs....the Dogs of war mentality, Roy Masters the master manipulator turned his Wests side into a pack of ruthless thugs in the late 60's right through the 70's, Even Des' us against them mentality. A good coach can make a player feel, believe and do almost anything.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pay was a very intimidating and hard player on the pitch. The way he went head to head with Tallis in the 95 semis was brutal and he came out on top. When he arrived I was hopeful that he would bring that aggressive side out of our pack but if anything they are even more passive then when Des was coaching.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I don't know if it's just me or a selective memory but I remember Hollywood penalizing the hell out of us, because he didn't want to show favoritism. Great Ref!!!
I don't think many, if any, Bulldogs fans thought Greg was a closet supporter at the time!

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Very true. You most certainly need the personnel to play like the old guys.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's not far fetched for a coach to bring out the mongrel in players,the team, the club or even their fans. Warren Ryan bought out the toughness in the Dogs....the Dogs of war mentality, Roy Masters the master manipulator turned his Wests side into a pack of ruthless thugs in the late 60's right through the 70's, Even Des' us against them mentality. A good coach can make a player feel, believe and do almost anything.
I hear what your saying but blokes are wrapped up in cotton wool these days, dont have to do the hard yards like a days work 5 days a week in the real world like they use to. Players be playing xbox and listening to dance music in there spare time. Should be out in the garage building XA's/Monaro's, getting pissed and cutting lose on the neighbors (joking, thats exactly what we dont need). I think times have changed massively so to instill mongrel I think would be a tough order. As you mentioned, us against them would be a good start. Us against Greenburg, Des, the media, weve got plenty to choose from.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Prince of Penzance saluted at 100/1.. not quite a donkey as it also won a Mooney Valley Cup, but was nowhere near a Makybe Diva, Think Big or Kingston Town.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nah, they are fitter and stronger and better training methods today but that doesn't make them any tougher. Half of the problem with players these days is attitude and liking each other too much. All that kissing and catch up crap after full time..You should be pissed off and disappointed when beaten, shake hands and get to the sheds. Catch up later if you want to.