News Bulldogs look to youth in 2020

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Well there not going to sack him just before their next 2 year term is up now are they? ( if lucky)
Ray tried to do that.

The pressure and the challenges are on right now, no major, recruitment, etc, but a losing football team and even worse, consecutively, that's when the major and recruitment will be magnified ten fold.....

So what will they do? To suppress the noise?
More fan forums?
More excuses?
The supporters will want more than that mate.
Well, since you want to bring back Kev, perhaps you should channel 2009 as the blueprint heading into 2021. Right now you’re acting like it’s 2008 and SBW has just walked out...

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I reckon we should start making moves for bellamy i dont think its as out of the question as people think,hes done his time there im sure hed like a fresh challenge,we are on the up he brings munster with him

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I reckon we should start making moves for bellamy i dont think its as out of the question as people think,hes done his time there im sure hed like a fresh challenge,we are on the up he brings munster with him
People said Greenberg was crazy for pursuing Des (turns out that was right, but different reasons :-)). Key difference between the two is Bellamy is older (60) and has made plenty of money at the Storm whereas Des made most of his money from us. So unless Bellamy is another Bennett and just can’t let go, I can’t really see this happening.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
People said Greenberg was crazy for pursuing Des (turns out that was right, but different reasons :-)). Key difference between the two is Bellamy is older (60) and has made plenty of money at the Storm whereas Des made most of his money from us. So unless Bellamy is another Bennett and just can’t let go, I can’t really see this happening.
Youre right it just depends if he’s ready to retire yet i reckon hes pretty active/fit for 60 i also reckon these guys its in their blood

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Youre right it just depends if he’s ready to retire yet i reckon hes pretty active/fit for 60 i also reckon these guys its in their blood
He’s certainly active/animated in the coaches box whenever the camera catches him :-). Yes, he’s still very capable but another factor for him does he want to uproot and change cities etc at this stage of life. Depends on the offer and the challenge maybe. A long shot overall I think but you never know...

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Under Des we made 2 Grandfinals, produced a dally m player of the year and had one of the most exciting seasons in years. People need to stop acting like the entire Des era was all bad.
Under Des;
1. Out juniors eroded to Nil
2. He let go of Cook
3. He rejected Mitchell Moses & thus we missed Tedesco
4. He won us 0 GF's
5. He bought Sherex
6. He back ended our salary cap until it was historically the worst ever position of any club in the entire history of the NRL
7. He bought Aaron Woods
8. HE bought Lichaa and opted out of Mick Enniss who went on to win a GF with Cronulla

Yeah i need to stop acting like it was all that bad........

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Under Des;
2. He let go of Cook
4. He won us 0 GF's
5. He bought Sherex
6. He back ended our salary cap until it was historically the worst ever position of any club in the entire history of the NRL
7. He bought Aaron Woods
8. HE bought Lichaa and opted out of Mick Enniss who went on to win a GF with Cronulla

I remember whenever des was talking about the club he would refer to the club as “they” he was always a manly man just lining his pockets here.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Under Des;
2. He let go of Cook
4. He won us 0 GF's
5. He bought Sherex
7. He bought Aaron Woods

We also made the finals for 5 consecutive seasons including 2gfs.

Not saying it wasn't the wrong move to part way with Des but merely calling a spade a spade

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score

Not saying it wasn't the wrong move to part way with Des but merely calling a spade a spade
So doing his job just enough to keep his job but not good enough to move to the next level .

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Clearly des had big incentives in his contract to win a gf hence he gambled everything with no concern of the future to win a gf des is all about $$

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Under Des;
2. He let go of Cook
4. He won us 0 GF's
5. He bought Sherex
7. He bought Aaron Woods

Lol.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Clearly des had big incentives in his contract to win a gf hence he gambled everything with no concern of the future to win a gf des is all about $$
That’s true but it’s probably what the old board bought him to do. He’s not a stupid coach but they probably gave him a time line and indicated the club was desperate to win a grand final.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course he had incentives to win a GF. Most coaches do!

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's hard to imagine a coach taking a team to 2 grand finals over 3 years if he is only in it for the money.. say what you want about the cap situation but it's arrogant to say that he wasn't invested while he was with us.. even the guys who weren't on back ends still speak about Des with a level of respect

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's hard to imagine a coach taking a team to 2 grand finals over 3 years if he is only in it for the money.. say what you want about the cap situation but it's arrogant to say that he wasn't invested while he was with us.. even the guys who weren't on back ends still speak about Des with a level of respect
Des was invested in Des & Des's playbook. His method of achieving success were based on a playing roster of big boys who didn't know shit about football & set chess moves versus heads up plays. During Des's tenure we were a mechanical robotic team that was akin to watching ants crawl up a wall. And to say that all players speaks highly of Des is false. I can tell you that Ennis & lichaa (as much as I detest him) have both been quoted in the press about Des killing their games.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Des was invested in Des & Des's playbook. His method of achieving success were based on a playing roster of big boys who didn't know shit about football & set chess moves versus heads up plays. During Des's tenure we were a mechanical robotic team that was akin to watching ants crawl up a wall. And to say that all players speaks highly of Des is false. I can tell you that Ennis & lichaa (as much as I detest him) have both been quoted in the press about Des killing their games.

Well of course he is going to be invested in Des's playbook.. it's not as if he has Bellyache's playbook to work from... people can say what they like but at the end of the day, he still has a quality resume on field.. two players, one who was moved on, and one being LICHAA, who still sucks post Des

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
As long as you agreed with him yes but any player that went against his boring pkaybook was punted,cook scored a 60m try out of dummy half then didn’t play the next week ,des=stubborn old bastard

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
As long as you agreed with him yes but any player that went against his boring pkaybook was punted,cook scored a 60m try out of dummy half then didn’t play the next week ,des=stubborn old bastard
One of the issues for mine was having three of the four spine members who couldn't execute no matter what the game plan could have been in those final years... if we had the 2018 Manly hookers and DCE, Turbo... would things not have been different as far as attack goes? Manly didn't seem to have any issues last year... again, say what you will about the cap drama, but he is a quality coach, no question about it and I will not be surprised if Manly make the GF this year

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The Hasler history is complex, what I saw was someone who was single mindedly interested in winning, extracting the best out of his players in order to accomplish that one objective. Recruiting players solely with the objective of winning, as quickly as possible. Manipulating players contracts to achieve that objective, to the extent of extreme back ending. Pretty much every club back ends players' contracts to some extent, but he took it to a previously unseen level, with players contracted for amounts in the final years being 2 or 3 times the earlier years. What I would call obscene back ending to such a level and with so many players that it eventually was going turn to shyte. That's why as a coach he ranks with the best, but as a team manager he leaves plenty to be desired. If it wasn't a necessary part of his plan to achieve the winning objective then he provided the players with next to zero guidance, development, welfare, personal motivation, emotional support etc things that should all be part of coach's role.

All coaches have to have an ego, a big one, but his was so large that he couldn't see when he had made a mistake with a player. He thought his choices were infallible that's why he stuck with players that he believed were going to help him achieve his objective. He was blind to his own failings and to the failings of those he had chosen. Players that weren't his choice he was more ruthless with, discarded them regardless of the effect it had on the team as whole.

The main issue I have with Hasler was that winning as fast as possible was all that he was interested in, he had no sense of club history, no club loyalty, no concept of ensuring the long term future of the club. I don't see this as being strictly his attitude to us, after all he left Manly in exactly the same situation. Players with poor injury management and recovery strategy (Stewart, Matai etc), inflated back ended contracts that nobbled them the same as it did us.

He is proof that it is possible at the same time to be a good coach (for some reasons) and be a bad coach (for other reasons).

Go Dogs

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep, yep and yep to all your points, they are 100% correct. But you and every other dog on here would have cheered the house down if we one either GF and probably would have called for him to be in the Canterbury hall of fame if we won both. There is no point ignoring the fact most fans were happy he came to the dogs and we bought in. But we didn't win, the mess he created and that it was clear he was always a Manly boy is why we are all glad to see the back of him.

Des fucked the joint, but he did the exact same thing at Manly before he came to us and then was welcomed back to the beagles like a golden child, mostly because Manly hated having a dragon run the club and a lot of the Manly Des mess contact wise was now gone ( Matai, Stewart brothers etc..)