I Guess This Is What Pay Meant By Bringing Back The Madness :)

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
True. And someone was suggesting we’re in danger of folding/amalgamation? Manly are a basket case financially, even the Penns stopped throwing good money after bad and they have plenty of the folding stuff. Willie Mason said recently that as late as 2015 when he played there they got changed in the boots of their cars, so bad were the facilities. No wonder Barrett kicked up such a stink and then bailed.
We're not in any kind of danger. The football club alone is doing great, but our Leagues clubs... forget about it, they've got money almost literally coming out of their arse.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
We're not in any kind of danger. The football club alone is doing great, but our Leagues clubs... forget about it, they've got money almost literally coming out of their arse.
Yeah I know mate. It was suggested elsewhere. We’re in great shape financially as a business and once the cap is fully repaired - let the floodgates open! :-)

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
True. And someone was suggesting we’re in danger of folding/amalgamation? Manly are a basket case financially, even the Penns stopped throwing good money after bad and they have plenty of the folding stuff. Willie Mason said recently that as late as 2015 when he played there they got changed in the boots of their cars, so bad were the facilities. No wonder Barrett kicked up such a stink and then bailed.
Yeah I remember hearing that when Barrett took over as Manly coach he and his family bought over to the club house fold-able chairs so the players could have some where to sit. Do you remember reading this from 28th Dec 2012.

Brazen thieves only leave Sea Eagles jersey behind, twice

IT SEEMS it is not just rugby league fans that dislike the Manly Sea Eagles, but thieves as well.

At 1.30am on Boxing Day, Mr Fern had an unexpected call to alert him that a group of brazen thieves had smashed through the front of his store, using a gas bottle, and had stolen thousands of dollars worth of framed NRL merchandise.

As Mr Fern inspected the damage, he noticed that the thieves had stolen every framed and signed NRL team jersey, except for the Manly Sea Eagles.

Manly jersey is the only thing left in the window after two break and enters at Rockhampton Picture Framing. Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning BulletinAllan Reinikka

But it didn't stop there.

After a long day of police inquiries and phone calls to insurance companies, Mr Fern was tucked up in bed yesterday morning when he had another phone call at about 2am to advise him that the thieves had been back for a second shopping spree, and funnily enough, had left the Manly jersey behind once again.

I'll leave the link below for anyone interested to read the whole article

https://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/news/thieves-hate-sea-eagles/1699261/

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
994 - where was Baa? Not named as injured in the team list. Suspended?
He broke him arm early in that season from memory and ended up missing a few weeks in the middle of season and was back for the finals.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah I remember hearing that when Barrett took over as Manly coach he and his family bought over to the club house fold-able chairs so the players could have some where to sit. Do you remember reading this from 28th Dec 2012.

Brazen thieves only leave Sea Eagles jersey behind, twice

IT SEEMS it is not just rugby league fans that dislike the Manly Sea Eagles, but thieves as well.

At 1.30am on Boxing Day, Mr Fern had an unexpected call to alert him that a group of brazen thieves had smashed through the front of his store, using a gas bottle, and had stolen thousands of dollars worth of framed NRL merchandise.

As Mr Fern inspected the damage, he noticed that the thieves had stolen every framed and signed NRL team jersey, except for the Manly Sea Eagles.

Manly jersey is the only thing left in the window after two break and enters at Rockhampton Picture Framing. Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning BulletinAllan Reinikka

But it didn't stop there.

After a long day of police inquiries and phone calls to insurance companies, Mr Fern was tucked up in bed yesterday morning when he had another phone call at about 2am to advise him that the thieves had been back for a second shopping spree, and funnily enough, had left the Manly jersey behind once again.

I'll leave the link below for anyone interested to read the whole article

https://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/news/thieves-hate-sea-eagles/1699261/
Ha! I don’t condone what they did but that’s kinda funny at the same time :-).

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
How could you not love the Dogs??? Canterbury v Manly one of the most explosive openings to a game :grinning:
Incidentally Pay was the captain.....now if he could coach like he could lead the team on the field we would all be very happy Kennelers.

Sorry about the quality guys. Rugby League at it's best!!!

1994 Winfield Cup Round 16 Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs v Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles at Belmore Sports Ground. It was on between the two sides very early on with big hits, brawls and sledging. The main players Martin Bella, Jason Smith, Dean Pay, Craig Polla-Mounter, Mark Carroll, Ian Roberts, David Gillespie, Terry Hill and Matthew Ridge.
Don't forget the Storm/Manly match where the two protagonists continued to biff each other after they were sent off. Thugs, those Sea Eagles.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
They have Des now, so there'll soon be a "Centre of Excellence".

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don't forget the Storm/Manly match where the two protagonists continued to biff each other after they were sent off. Thugs, those Sea Eagles.
I could never understand The Fibros Vs The Silvertails argument it was just a bit before my time, and if you want to talk about thugs the watch this......very interesting, a little long but well worth it. Especially for true rugby league fans / fans of the game and not just the Dogs.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
He still is :grinning: Saw Greg in a documentary wearing a Bulldogs Polo sitting in the stands talking from Belmore oval.
I always liked ‘Hollywood’. He certainly earned that nickname :-) Seems funny these days though in terms of potential bias - a bit like before the days of neutral cricket umpires. Actually, maybe things haven’t changed that much with RL refs :-).

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I always liked ‘Hollywood’. He certainly earned that nickname :-) Seems funny these days though in terms of potential bias - a bit like before the days of neutral cricket umpires. Actually, maybe things haven’t changed that much with RL refs :-).
I don't know if it's just me or a selective memory but I remember Hollywood penalizing the hell out of us, because he didn't want to show favoritism. Great Ref!!!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How could you not love the Dogs??? Canterbury v Manly one of the most explosive openings to a game :grinning:
Incidentally Pay was the captain.....now if he could coach like he could lead the team on the field we would all be very happy Kennelers.

1994 Winfield Cup Round 16 Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs v Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles at Belmore Sports Ground. It was on between the two sides very early on with big hits, brawls and sledging. The main players Martin Bella, Jason Smith, Dean Pay, Craig Polla-Mounter, Mark Carroll, Ian Roberts, David Gillespie, Terry Hill and Matthew Ridge.
Good old memory lane. Gee I miss those days. I loved being a bulldog fan during these years. My best mate at high school was a manly supporter too.

TrioBench 1995

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

The good old days ! Agh the memories