News Bulldogs call for review of rules after Foran salary cap appeal rejected

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The offer......

You have said yourself recently that you do not have any contact with any people receiving the offers.

Anyway all good..

Go the dogs
No Teddy. Availability as in ‘are they really leaving’. You love to refer to the Turbos as a ‘failed signing’. My mail (and I think fairly reliable, the same guy who told me Geoff Toovey was getting punted as coach a week before it happened) was that they were never leaving. What they wanted was 5 year deals and Manly were originally offering 3. So there’s some leaks to the media about ‘interest’ and then a back-track ‘we’re not interested in talking to the Dogs’ story. The latter is actually true - 100% engineered. Why? THEY WERE NEVER LEAVING. The former was to get the club back to the table. The club made them wait until after November to show it wasn’t all one way traffic. And look what happened...

As for interest being ‘= to $$’ in your terms - not everyone is motivated by the highest offer. They publicly (and genuinely I’m told) said they would stay at Manly for less money, such is their love of the place. Personally I don’t get it, but my Manly supporting mates have no love for the Dogs either, it’s a democracy.

I could go on but there seems little point. You’re steadfast in your belief and that’s fine. Let’s see how it plays out. Talk to you after Round 6. Cheers.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The offer......

You have said yourself recently that you do not have any contact with any people receiving the offers.

Anyway all good..

Go the dogs
That’s not what I said.
Catch you after Round 6.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Wayne Bennett can tell the NRL who's playing and who isn't :grinning:

Of course any Bulldogs coach would not have the same pull.
‐------------
TEST football has descended into high farce after Broncos coach Wayne Bennett sensationally blocked Anthony Milford from representing Samoa.

Bennett will allow Broncos prop Joe Ofahengaue to play for Tonga in the Pacific Test against Samoa next weekend, but has shut the door on clubmate Milford appearing in the same game.

The Rugby League International Federation last night took aim at Bennett, accusing the Broncos coach, who will also lead England at this year’s Four Nations, of double standards.

At least 10 Broncos players will feature in the NRL’s representative round next week, including Australian quintet Sam Thaiday, Darius Boyd, Corey Parker, Matt Gillett and Josh McGuire.

Kodi Nikorima, Jordan Kahu, Alex Glenn and Adam Blair will turn out for the Kiwis while Ofahengaue will represent Tonga ... but Bennett will not release Milford for Samoa.

In a week where ARL Commission chairman John Grant preached the importance of Test football, the absence of Milford is a massive blow for the health of the international game.

But Bennett, a long-time advocate of helping minnow nations, was standing firm, confirming Milford will not join Ofahengaue in the Pacific Test at Parramatta’s Pirtek Stadium.

“Anthony Milford is not playing for Samoa,” Bennett said.

“I don’t care what people think.

“I’ve made the call and Anthony will not be playing.”

Bennett’s decision went down like a lead balloon with Samoa coach Matt Parish, who had named Milford at five-eighth for the clash against Tonga.

RLIF development officer Tas Baitieri hit out at Milford being stood down for a Test match his Broncos colleague Ofahengaue will play in.

“It’s double standards,” he said.

“I don’t think an NRL coach has the power to prevent Milford playing.

“If Anthony Milford feels strongly about it, he can tell Wayne Bennett he wants to play.

“The international game will take a hit out of this. Anthony Milford is the form player of the NRL and if he’s not in the Samoan team, it devalues the quality of the game.”

The NRL said last night: “Ultimately the player needs to make the decision around his eligibility pathway and the NRL is comfortable with that decision.”
Do we know what happened in the end? Remember Wayne is famous for saying things that turn out the opposite (most recently ‘we’re not signing Latrell’). As this story is a couple of years old, I’m wondering what time of year the rep games were referring to and if there’s a difference to say Foran playing in October vs Milford playing in say February. Just trying to gauge the context...

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Do we know what happened in the end? Remember Wayne is famous for saying things that turn out the opposite (most recently ‘we’re not signing Latrell’). As this story is a couple of years old, I’m wondering what time of year the rep games were referring to and if there’s a difference to say Foran playing in October vs Milford playing in say February. Just trying to gauge the context...
Wasn't the point I was highlighting Dinkum.

It was 2016. Didn't matter if he played or not. Just the stand Bennett took lording it over the NRL and them capitulating in that last statement of theirs.

But yes, can't believe a word Bennett says anymore. Lost all credibility.

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sure Pal,

Will give up my sources on a forum.
How about you give us proof the offers were never made?
Same thing right? We just have to take your word for it..
How does someone prove something didn't happen?

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
The issues that the NRL and Club need to consider is: -

1. Rep footy is causing injuries and hurting Clubs financially, placing great pressure on their objective to compete in a highly competitive environment.
2. Club front-loading means rep players are being paid way over market rates - so the market rate formula needs to exist.
3. When the NRL do not know when a player will come back - what happens if he comes back early? They can't compensate adequately until after the fact.

I think that the allowance should be 350K min, but market rate is ideal and if the player is scheduled for a comeback, if that comeback proves problematic via delays or ongoing issues, then an evaluation at the end of the year can give a salary cap credit to the club to compensate.

Last edited:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Still collecting 78's. No Thorens to connect to my decent stereo, there getting pricey.
If you get to Switzerland, go to Ste. Croix, near the French border - there is a music box museum that will enchant you. It was one of the places where fine quality music boxes were, and still are made. https://www.musees.ch/.

In the museum are examples of fine locally made products, and Thorens was one of them; indigenous to the area, before they moved their facility. The Turntable on display is one of the finest pieces of precision engineering I've ever seen - the platter is a good six inches thick, and the plinth is just as massive; I'd hate to think what price it would fetch.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The Herald ran an article in which it quoted Hill saying that they're not interested in Douhehi.

When he'd only cost 150k for this season after factoring in the 350k cap relief, it seems odd to show no interest and seems like a risk worth taking on a player that's shown he can handle FG in numerous positions.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Herald ran an article in which it quoted Hill saying that they're not interested in Douhehi.

When he'd only cost 150k for this season after factoring in the 350k cap relief, it seems odd to show no interest and seems like a risk worth taking on a player that's shown he can handle FG in numerous positions.
Bennett said he wasn't interested in Mitchell and Arrow.

Everyone talks sh!t to the papers.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The 350k is all we were ever going to get, but good on Hill for pushing for more then going public to put pressure on the NRL to change the rule.
From whars been reported, the NRL have made a significant adjustment by removing the like for like component of the rule, meaning we can sign anyone we want.
The question is now who do we go for?
The first priority should be a quality outside back, to get someone decent outside of Addo Carr or Douhehi, we need to get a player under contract.
Personally, I'd be looking at Douehehi as a centre very closely. He showed last year he has the makings of a quality fullback, but can also play in the halves and centre. With DWZ's playing style being susceptible to injury, Douehehi, starting at centre, becomes the back up fullback and depth for the halves.
While it's concerning hearing reports he's on 500k this year and next we have to consider that allowing for what Souths have paid this year and the 350k excemption we effectively pay 500k for 2 years, if it means offering a 3rd year at 500k to get him across then we're effectively paying 1 million over 3 years which is still good value.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If you get to Switzerland, go to Ste. Croix, near the French border - there is a music box museum that will enchant you. It was one of the places where fine quality music boxes were, and still are made. https://www.musees.ch/.

In the museum are examples of fine locally made products, and Thorens was one of them; indigenous to the area, before they moved their facility. The Turntable on display is one of the finest pieces of precision engineering I've ever seen - the platter is a good six inches thick, and the plinth is just as massive; I'd hate to think what price it would fetch.
Cheers Chris. Ive bookmarked that link. Google translate makes it hard to navigate the site but looks very interesting and definitely something id be interested in.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bennett said he wasn't interested in Mitchell and Arrow.

Everyone talks sh!t to the papers.
Very true. But so far Hill has been pretty upfront when asked about who we may or may not be interested in. The only time he wasn't totally honest (and understandably so) was when it came to denying that they were shopping Mbye, Woods and Klemmer.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Very true. But so far Hill has been pretty upfront when asked about who we may or may not be interested in. The only time he wasn't totally honest (and understandably so) was when it came to denying that they were shopping Mbye, Woods and Klemmer.
We never shopped Klemmer.
Mbye and Woods yes, and they were gone pre 30 June 2018.
Klemmer asked for a release in October 2018.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We never shopped Klemmer.
Mbye and Woods yes, and they were gone pre 30 June 2018.
Klemmer asked for a release in October 2018.
He wasn't shopped but Hill still insisted publicly that Klemmer wouldn't be released at first. Anyway, I'm glad all three are gone and understand why certain things are and aren't said.

But in this case, Hill seems genuine about Douhehi and i think would be an opportunity missed to not look further into using the cap exception to sign him.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
He wasn't shopped but Hill still insisted publicly that Klemmer wouldn't be released at first. Anyway, I'm glad all three are gone and understand why certain things are and aren't said.

But in this case, Hill seems genuine about Douhehi and i think would be an opportunity missed to not look further into using the cap exception to sign him.
Yes, you’re right.

I think when Hilly said they intended to keep Klemmer it was genuine but once he realised Chloe had her claws in it was a lost cause and they let him go. Blessing in disguise in the end, I don’t think we missed him significantly last year.

Saying no interest in Douhehi must be for a reason - they genuinely know why they don’t want / can’t get him or something else is on the boil.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, you’re right.

I think when Hilly said they intended to keep Klemmer it was genuine but once he realised Chloe had her claws in it was a lost cause and they let him go. Blessing in disguise in the end, I don’t think we missed him significantly last year.

Saying no interest in Douhehi must be for a reason - they genuinely know why they don’t want / can’t get him or something else is on the boil.
Maybe because they know he’d prefer to play for Souffs, and will only move for money.

Or maybe they don’t want to help Souffs sign Fox

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe because they know he’d prefer to play for Souffs, and will only move for money.

Or maybe they don’t want to help Souffs sign Fox
But Jack, the ‘do nothing board’ couldn’t possibly be that strategic :-)