News Bulldogs call for review of rules after Foran salary cap appeal rejected

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Like the image. Only 78 records break like that. There aren't too many modern quality turntables around today that will play a 78 - Thorens is about the only one I can readily think of; and you need a dedicated stylus.
Still collecting 78's. No Thorens to connect to my decent stereo, there getting pricey.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I thought part of the deal was that the club releases/gives a player consent to play rep, that the club has final say. Hopefully someone who knows 100% can chime in.
Surely the Club has influence with his injuries and rehabs the last 2 years to say no. He'd play in a wheel chair if you'd let him. At the end of the day for myself as a fan it simply comes down to common sense and the bigger picture. We are a professional sports organization with people payed big dollars to manage a depleted cap. A cap that we are repairing. t was a massive gamble whos only reward was Forans pride/love or even ego to play for his country. It just makes no sense to me. Now the club using Burgess case as ammo is unprofessional. Im annoyed with the whole Foran thing (can you tell :smiley:) buts thats the last time Im gonna winge about it. Looking forward to the start of the season.
Great point mate. Common sense ain't all that common :-)
You'd think given Foran's injury record there might be special dispensation for not allowing a guy with chalk bones to play rep.
Maybe that's the real lesson out of this - yeah we get an extra $350k in the cap for 2020, but maybe lobby the NRL for changing the rules about how much rep footy injury prone players can play outside their rich club deals.
As you say, if someone knows the rules 100% it would be good to hear.
I've just heard from some mates who follow other clubs - one example was where a player wanted to box in the off-season and the club was able to stop it because it may have threatened his well-being and ability to play footy the following season.
Too right - bring on Round 1! (47 days to go! 47 days to go!) :-)

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great point mate. Common sense ain't all that common :-)
You'd think given Foran's injury record there might be special dispensation for not allowing a guy with chalk bones to play rep.
Maybe that's the real lesson out of this - yeah we get an extra $350k in the cap for 2020, but maybe lobby the NRL for changing the rules about how much rep footy injury prone players can play outside their rich club deals.
As you say, if someone knows the rules 100% it would be good to hear.
I've just heard from some mates who follow other clubs - one example was where a player wanted to box in the off-season and the club was able to stop it because it may have threatened his well-being and ability to play footy the following season.
Too right - bring on Round 1! (47 days to go! 47 days to go!) :-)
Maybe it could’ve been worse, and he did it in the offseason or rd1. At least this way we’ve got $350k cap relief.

Of course if he DID do it later, maybe we could’ve retired him....nah, he still would’ve stated he wasn’t retiring

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The other shitty thing about this is St Merge were granted $239k cap relief for De Belin, calculated as pro rata for how much of his contract was left to go (around 6months of a $545k contract). They applied late after losing in court trying to quash the no-fault stand down rule.

So the NRL will give cap relief pro rata for a suspected rapist stood down until his trial, but won’t give pro rata for a player injured representing his country.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/amp...in-salary-cap-relief/h4xcc67t4ti1fwnq5nymbt68

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surely by now, everyone on kennel FM is waiting with baited breath to see whether we get a return on our investment on hill spending club money x 2 trips to the UK ...
Oh, how convenient! :-)

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The natives are restless, the natives are coming, in numbers today too, mind you.
Will only escalate, if they don't announce something soon.
Crickets..........right?
Crickets when you’ve been asked to supply proof of various offers and knock backs you claim, yes.

As for the natives, they can please themselves. You still believe an EGM is possible? I say no chance...

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Surely by now, everyone on kennel FM is waiting with baited breath to see whether we get a return on our investment on hill spending club money x 2 trips to the UK ...
For 2021 likely, yes.
Won’t be announced for a while.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure Pal,

Will give up my sources on a forum.
How about you give us proof the offers were never made?
Same thing right? We just have to take your word for it..
Crickets when you’ve been asked to supply proof of various offers and knock backs you claim, yes.

As for the natives, they can please themselves. You still believe an EGM is possible? I say no chance...

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Sure Pal,

Will give up my sources on a forum.
How about you give us proof the offers were never made?
Same thing right? We just have to take your word for it..
The difference is you say it happened.
I say it didn’t. Making phone calls to managers to gauge availability and interest is not ‘an offer’. Back to the reservation if you’re restless Teddybear.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Availability and interest ....hmm
Well i hope our recruitment team.is not that dumb right? Availability ? Well surely they would have enough Intel to know whether they are off contract or not right?
Interest? = $$$$$$$$
Hi sir, was wondering if you client is interested in joining the dogs?
Sure, we are taking offers right now as my client is off contract..
What are you offering? and i will present it to my client..
The difference is you say it happened.
I say it didn’t. Making phone calls to managers to gauge availability and interest is not ‘an offer’. Back to the reservation if you’re restless Teddybear.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The natives are restless, the natives are coming, in numbers today too, mind you.
Will only escalate, if they don't announce something soon.
Crickets..........right?
I don’t know about restless, they look happy enough..

F3FA9779-55D1-4A55-940A-7C51539DF28E.gif

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Its our own stupid fault for letting a delusional, fatigued, injury prone 'team' member play rep footy whilst he should have hung up the boots for the rest of the season and just chilled. Maybe the club should have done the responsible thing, looked to the bigger picture like fans did before he took the field knowing he'd get injured and telling him to pull his fuckin head in and sit out the off season. Lewis is our senior half this year, that is a bitter pill to swallow.
Wayne Bennett can tell the NRL who's playing and who isn't :grinning:

Of course any Bulldogs coach would not have the same pull.
‐------------
TEST football has descended into high farce after Broncos coach Wayne Bennett sensationally blocked Anthony Milford from representing Samoa.

Bennett will allow Broncos prop Joe Ofahengaue to play for Tonga in the Pacific Test against Samoa next weekend, but has shut the door on clubmate Milford appearing in the same game.

The Rugby League International Federation last night took aim at Bennett, accusing the Broncos coach, who will also lead England at this year’s Four Nations, of double standards.

At least 10 Broncos players will feature in the NRL’s representative round next week, including Australian quintet Sam Thaiday, Darius Boyd, Corey Parker, Matt Gillett and Josh McGuire.

Kodi Nikorima, Jordan Kahu, Alex Glenn and Adam Blair will turn out for the Kiwis while Ofahengaue will represent Tonga ... but Bennett will not release Milford for Samoa.

In a week where ARL Commission chairman John Grant preached the importance of Test football, the absence of Milford is a massive blow for the health of the international game.

But Bennett, a long-time advocate of helping minnow nations, was standing firm, confirming Milford will not join Ofahengaue in the Pacific Test at Parramatta’s Pirtek Stadium.

“Anthony Milford is not playing for Samoa,” Bennett said.

“I don’t care what people think.

“I’ve made the call and Anthony will not be playing.”

Bennett’s decision went down like a lead balloon with Samoa coach Matt Parish, who had named Milford at five-eighth for the clash against Tonga.

RLIF development officer Tas Baitieri hit out at Milford being stood down for a Test match his Broncos colleague Ofahengaue will play in.

“It’s double standards,” he said.

“I don’t think an NRL coach has the power to prevent Milford playing.

“If Anthony Milford feels strongly about it, he can tell Wayne Bennett he wants to play.

“The international game will take a hit out of this. Anthony Milford is the form player of the NRL and if he’s not in the Samoan team, it devalues the quality of the game.”

The NRL said last night: “Ultimately the player needs to make the decision around his eligibility pathway and the NRL is comfortable with that decision.”

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Availability and interest ....hmm
Well i hope our recruitment team.is not that dumb right? Availability ? Well surely they would have enough Intel to know whether they are off contract or not right?
Interest? = $$$$$$$$
Hi sir, was wondering if you client is interested in joining the dogs?
Sure, we are taking offers right now as my client is off contract..
What are you offering? and i will present it to my client..
No Teddy. Availability as in ‘are they really leaving’. You love to refer to the Turbos as a ‘failed signing’. My mail (and I think fairly reliable, the same guy who told me Geoff Toovey was getting punted as coach a week before it happened) was that they were never leaving. What they wanted was 5 year deals and Manly were originally offering 3. So there’s some leaks to the media about ‘interest’ and then a back-track ‘we’re not interested in talking to the Dogs’ story. The latter is actually true - 100% engineered. Why? THEY WERE NEVER LEAVING. The former was to get the club back to the table. The club made them wait until after November to show it wasn’t all one way traffic. And look what happened...

As for interest being ‘= to $$’ in your terms - not everyone is motivated by the highest offer. They publicly (and genuinely I’m told) said they would stay at Manly for less money, such is their love of the place. Personally I don’t get it, but my Manly supporting mates have no love for the Dogs either, it’s a democracy.

I could go on but there seems little point. You’re steadfast in your belief and that’s fine. Let’s see how it plays out. Talk to you after Round 6. Cheers.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wayne Bennett can tell the NRL who's playing and who isn't :grinning:

Of course any Bulldogs coach would not have the same pull.
‐------------
TEST football has descended into high farce after Broncos coach Wayne Bennett sensationally blocked Anthony Milford from representing Samoa.

Bennett will allow Broncos prop Joe Ofahengaue to play for Tonga in the Pacific Test against Samoa next weekend, but has shut the door on clubmate Milford appearing in the same game.

The Rugby League International Federation last night took aim at Bennett, accusing the Broncos coach, who will also lead England at this year’s Four Nations, of double standards.

At least 10 Broncos players will feature in the NRL’s representative round next week, including Australian quintet Sam Thaiday, Darius Boyd, Corey Parker, Matt Gillett and Josh McGuire.

Kodi Nikorima, Jordan Kahu, Alex Glenn and Adam Blair will turn out for the Kiwis while Ofahengaue will represent Tonga ... but Bennett will not release Milford for Samoa.

In a week where ARL Commission chairman John Grant preached the importance of Test football, the absence of Milford is a massive blow for the health of the international game.

But Bennett, a long-time advocate of helping minnow nations, was standing firm, confirming Milford will not join Ofahengaue in the Pacific Test at Parramatta’s Pirtek Stadium.

“Anthony Milford is not playing for Samoa,” Bennett said.

“I don’t care what people think.

“I’ve made the call and Anthony will not be playing.”

Bennett’s decision went down like a lead balloon with Samoa coach Matt Parish, who had named Milford at five-eighth for the clash against Tonga.

RLIF development officer Tas Baitieri hit out at Milford being stood down for a Test match his Broncos colleague Ofahengaue will play in.

“It’s double standards,” he said.

“I don’t think an NRL coach has the power to prevent Milford playing.

“If Anthony Milford feels strongly about it, he can tell Wayne Bennett he wants to play.

“The international game will take a hit out of this. Anthony Milford is the form player of the NRL and if he’s not in the Samoan team, it devalues the quality of the game.”

The NRL said last night: “Ultimately the player needs to make the decision around his eligibility pathway and the NRL is comfortable with that decision.”
So it appears the club doesnt have the final say, cheers Wendog