News Bulldogs call for review of rules after Foran salary cap appeal rejected

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don’t get why we are even trying to change the rule now. We aren’t going to have that many players in rep games for a few years so let some of the other clubs get screwed over by it.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And that player has to be a half or at least played in the halves at some point.
Meaning it’s of little or no real benefit for halves. A $350k or less half is not likely to be one you want long term. Only useful in propping up an offer for a gun (of which there aren’t many available).

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The rule should be changed to if a player with one year on his contract is ruled out for the entire year and the club doesn't wish to re-sign them (the NRL will block it if the club has a change in mind) then they get 100% of the contract to spend for the following season.
It's dumb rule and completely unrealistic, since it's next to impossible to accurately predict how long a player will be out for. If there are 25 rounds then divide his year's contract value by 25 and multiply that by the number of games the medical staff (club and NRL) agree he is "likely" to be out for. That's your cap exemption. If he comes back early then you have to cop the reduction, if he comes back late you get more. Totally impractical in the real world of sport injuries but it's the least worse scenario.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
As I said last time I can’t see it getting approved. Time will tell.
There is no "it" (singular), there are 2 completely separate contracts. Same as, say, DWZ had one contract for the time he was at Penrith and another totally separate contract for when he was with us.

And yes you are right, who knows which way the NRL will bend.

Go Dogs

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if it was going to be lewis and foz as the halves, our replacement half would be Wakeham. We can give wakeham the $350k this year to sweeten a nice 3year extension on reasonable coin since we've pumped him up for 2020.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
It's simple, the rule should be that the injured player's contract is divided by the amount of time out and that is the compo payment (eg 12 months out then 1.2 mil, 6 months out then 600k etc). What's not fairer than that? There also shouldn't be a restriction that it goes to a similar player position, should be up to the clubs discretion how they use that money.

The club should go on record as saying they will not release any more players for rep duty until the rule is fixed properly! Watch the NRL quickly fix it if several clubs say this leading up to the SOO period.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Source https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/22...eive-salary-cap-relief-for-injured-rep-stars/
The size of the salary cap exemption a club is entitled to will depend on the amount of the injured player’s contract and the number of Telstra Premiership rounds left, with $350,000 covering a $1 million player ruled out for 12 rounds.
Someone at the NRL can't add up, if there's 25 rounds and the injured player on $1m misses 12 rounds then why isn't it 12/25ths of a $1m? That's $480k not $350k.
That's what I would have been arguing, not the Burgess comparison. Not that I trust the reporting, they would go for the sensational (simple) line not the one most used in the legal debate. It would be too complicated for the average journalist to understand, hell 12/25ths is so hard to calculate.

Go Dogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It's simple, the rule should be that the injured player's contract is divided by the amount of time out and that is the compo payment (eg 12 months out then 1.2 mil, 6 months out then 600k etc). What's not fairer than that? There also shouldn't be a restriction that it goes to a similar player position, should be up to the clubs discretion how they use that money.

The club should go on record as saying they will not release any more players for rep duty until the rule is fixed properly! Watch the NRL quickly fix it if several clubs say this leading up to the SOO period.
More likely watch the other clubs hang us out to dry...and us get a fine :grinning:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Is interesting to see the clubs strategy on this one. The general consensus throughout both clubland and commentaryland is that the Dogs have been hard done by. By bringing Souffs into it as a comparison of a club who got the decision going their way, the club has potentially utilised the sympathy they are getting by turning some of it into antipathy towards Souffs. To add to that, the narrative they have formed may help create an "us V them" attitude in the team (remember how well that worked in 2004).

Also, who remembers Crowe's book? This narrative is a nice bit of antidote for that steaming heap.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When Foran returns and he somehow plays to marquee standards, we then offer him $350k for next year. Does the NRL register this contract as fair market value or do they unfairly stick their nose in and say he's worth $1m.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If Adam Doueihi would sign for a reasonable amount he'd be OK, other than that you'd probably have to sign a lower grade player with some promise.

I do hope the club sign someone with the money, just one injury to Wakeham, Cogger and Lewis and things are going to become desperate with no real backups.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
If Adam Doueihi would sign for a reasonable amount he'd be OK, other than that you'd probably have to sign a lower grade player with some promise.

I do hope the club sign someone, just one injury to Wakeham, Cogger and Lewis and things are going to become desperate with no real backups.

Stimson has played in the halves for the Storm, but I'd personally be happy if we could snag Douiehi at a decent price

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was made clear when the clubs signed up to the rule. The figure of $350k was based on the average wage of an nrl player and therefore is supposed to enable a club to recruit a replacement player. It was never meant to be a monetary compensation for what the club is paying the player injured but rather to give the club the average wage cap relief to recruit a replacement. Remember too, the replacement has to be of the same position, in Foran’s case a half or 5/8. The Burgess case was quite different. If Foran has done the right thing and “retired”, it would have been considered on a similar basis to Burgess.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
When Foran returns and he somehow plays to marquee standards, we then offer him $350k for next year. Does the NRL register this contract as fair market value or do they unfairly stick their nose in and say he's worth $1m.
Why even contemplate the thought of offering him another contract? Seriously how many millions have we blown on this guy already? Salary plus medical bills would be massive. To offer him another contract would be a kin to holding up your hands and saying rob me and a declaration of stupidity!

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We won’t get the relief for Fozzzy..!! We always have more complications than all clubs more so.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Do it. We are getting ripped off.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Burgess retired due to injury, wether its an alleged injury or true it doesn't make any difference, facts are he retired from the game, foran is injury prone has been for years we signed him knowing that, the club allowed him to play rep footy despits missing the majority of club games this season, our club did not stop him knowing full well he is injury prone and could be ruled out for a long time, our club cannot cry about 2 completely different senarios,what should be questioned is.

why did our club allow foran to play in games of no benefit to the bulldogs, especially after missing so many regular games, and why was the club not preparing foran to be in rehab and having him fully fit for this current season

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Poor Bulldogs admin, atleast you tried to do something constructive

nek minut

images (25).jpeg

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why even contemplate the thought of offering him another contract? Seriously how many millions have we blown on this guy already? Salary plus medical bills would be massive. To offer him another contract would be a kin to holding up your hands and saying rob me and a declaration of stupidity!
I was just hypothetically saying the NRL valued him at $350k so that's all the dispensation we get for salary cap relief this year. If by some sheer dumbness we offered him a new contract for say the same amount of $350k next year, would the NRL accept that figure as a fair price to register his contract next year or would they say sorry he's worth more.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I was just hypothetically saying the NRL valued him at $350k so that's all the dispensation we get for salary cap relief this year. If by some sheer dumbness we offered him a new contract for say the same amount of $350k next year, would the NRL accept that figure as a fair price to register his contract next year or would they say sorry he's worth more.
Got you. Yeah just the thought of us giving him another contract scares me. I actually think they will sign him on again, hope I'm wrong but I feel it coming.