Smith playing one in..

Apercots

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Just sucks when you realise both Holland and Montoya are in top 30 this year

feels like when we played Lichaa last year because of experience instead of looking forward

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Happy for him to throw his hat in the ring but if Harper has better trial form I would go with him. Start the year strong and pick on form. Last year pay chopped and changed early on. Put more emphasis on the trials and pick the best .

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m happy with this, if only to give okunbour a shot on the wing with the new “no mid air tackles” rule. But if okunbour doesn’t shine, Smith to back to the wing.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just sucks when you realise both Holland and Montoya are in top 30 this year

feels like when we played Lichaa last year because of experience instead of looking forward
My understanding is that both Montoya n Holland have had off season surgery n therefore late starts to full pre season training - apart from the fact that it does "suck" they are still part of the top 30 its has meant that there has been little chance of other clubs wanting to sign them - even if as depth signings. Hopefully that changes.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1. DWZ (winger with a fullbacks dream)
2. Meaney (fullback making a fist of wing)
3. Hopoate (solid centre)
4. Smith (winger with a centres dream)
5. Okunbur (winger with poor handling)
Doesn't leave me very excited but who knows what will happen
Modern day footballers are capable of playing most positions. Forwards can play in the middle or on an edge, wingers/centres/fullback can also mix it up.
Rain is has played centre in the past, and I am confident he will be fine. Meanest had a great end to the year and seems to be warming to his new position, and DWZ was the catalyst for us turning our season around. So I am actually pretty excited!
We also have Averilo and Harper waiting in the wings allying pressure.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Smiths biggest issue is his defence. He probably doesnt realise how much tackling he will be required to do.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Smiths biggest issue is his defence. He probably doesnt realise how much tackling he will be required to do.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest an NRL player who was a centre all through juniors might realise how much tackling he will have to do lol.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
My understanding is that both Montoya n Holland have had off season surgery n therefore late starts to full pre season training - apart from the fact that it does "suck" they are still part of the top 30 its has meant that there has been little chance of other clubs wanting to sign them - even if as depth signings. Hopefully that changes.
Superleague to extend their careers. Unless they play outa their skins, its hard to see another NRL club picking them up for fg.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Modern day footballers are capable of playing most positions. Forwards can play in the middle or on an edge, wingers/centres/fullback can also mix it up.
Rain is has played centre in the past, and I am confident he will be fine. Meanest had a great end to the year and seems to be warming to his new position, and DWZ was the catalyst for us turning our season around. So I am actually pretty excited!
I agree to alot of the points but yeah it just seems like a whole lot of unnecessary risks now when we should have sorted the Smith thing out alot earlier than 2020 but keen to see how he goes

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest an NRL player who was a centre all through juniors might realise how much tackling he will have to do lol.
Maybe. But hes sure going to realise it when he has to tackle first graders. Big shift from the Juniors.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I hope Smith kills it at centre, but for me this seems to be a case of weakening one position to strengthen another as a result of poor recruitment.
Every man and his dog knows we need some experience and class in the backline, which hopefully we'll get before round 1.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I hope Smith kills it at centre, but for me this seems to be a case of weakening one position to strengthen another as a result of poor recruitment.
Every man and his dog knows we need some experience and class in the backline, which hopefully we'll get before round 1.
Hardly poor recruitment, without access to Foran's $350k we simply can't fit a "decent" centre in our Cap. I'm happy to give Smith a crack at centre this year, if he works out as I suspect he will then that gives us space for someone like JAC. Which may be necessary if Meaney doesn't continue to develop. Although as a winger goal kicker I have high expectations for him as well. Currently Holland is our fall back goal kicker, so we are not exactly rich in that department. For next year we need a Foran replacement unless Lewis, Cogger or Wakeham progress enough this year to fill that void. They have the first half of the season with Foran out to prove their worth, which will be very interesting to watch. Same for JMK, if he continues to grow into the dummy half role then we may not need to spend up big next year to find the always elusive "decent" hooker, if there is one available.

This season there's whole bunch of interesting player development going to happen, or not, which will determine a number players future in the NRL. Looking forward to it.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Modern day footballers have to be as you're more often that not selecting your 17 best athletes and asking them all to perform various roles.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Liking Smith more and more. Judging from this Centre is where he wants to be, which means he has been playing Winger because that is where he was told he was needed. Given Meaney and Knockonbur are showing promise on the wings, it is a good time to give Reimis a run in his favoured position, see how he goes, and at least give him reward for putting the team first.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree to alot of the points but yeah it just seems like a whole lot of unnecessary risks now when we should have sorted the Smith thing out alot earlier than 2020 but keen to see how he goes
Remember okunbour was untested last year, and reimis only had 3 games under his belt from memory.so last year was very much a wait and see in regards to their development.
I'm really looking forward to watching okunbour develop. I wonder if they will pair him with rain is or move meaney to the other side?...

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s a good thing we have more than 1 trial this year. Gives everyone a chance to see how players go in their positions.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Remember okunbour was untested last year, and reimis only had 3 games under his belt from memory.so last year was very much a wait and see in regards to their development.
I'm really looking forward to watching okunbour develop. I wonder if they will pair him with rain is or move meaney to the other side?...
Meaney said at the member forum in December he was moving to the other side...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'd go Smith/Okunbor, Hoppa/Meaney to simply try and balance the pace on our edges. I'd also move Hoppa to the left if Smith prefers the right edge, I feel Hoppa will pretty much offer the same on either edge.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yeah I dunno what they will do there. I liked the idea of Meaney playing right wing and Remis left... I guess that will hold true for the right edge and Smith and Jayden will slot in on the left