Do we need to stop the bullshit in real estate?

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep my eye on the real estate market, not just domestically but internationally as well.

How many times have you went to see a house in Australia which just doesnt measure up to the ridiculous commentary in the ad.

There should be some mandatory disclosures in real estate ads.

I noticed in USA, they advertise a property and state square feet of residence. In Australia they use words like spacious and generous for a tiny tuna tin sized house, just ridiculous. At least the USA square feet gives a comparable measure of the size of one residence to another. It should be mandatory. There are too many tiny sized properties that are dressed up to sell, but they are tiny shit houses that are tried to make appear bigger, mutton dressed as lamb.

Also how many times do you go to a property and there are power lines in very close proximity, on a busy street, park next door or across the road, just things that will piss you off. These sorts of obvious disclosures should be in all ads. Ie corner block or school within 250 metres or distance to power lines (closest point)

Or the ad has bullet points and all ticks next to them. But what about what isn’t ticked? Just doesn’t make the list? There are no crosses. There should be a standard list that is either ticked or crossed.

Condition is another point. No point saying words like classic bathroom decor, in other words it’s an old bathroom in need of renovations. Kitchen, bathroom, paint and flooring should have an age since renovated / built. Gives the buyer a proper way to assess the age and likely cost to repair. Like a car has odometer

Size of block should be mandatory, only larger blocks are disclosed the size but small blocks you gotta dig through the fine print to see how small they are.

The ads placed in Australia are designed to just get people to the door, then it’s a matter of what bullshit can you tolerate in order to proceed with your interest in the property.

How about some proper ads, with proper disclosures, standardised, not bullshit to oversell a property, standardised categories and either yes or no answers or specific sizes no fluffy words

Also for renters out there does this also happen in the rental market, turn up to many properties to be hugely disappointed in the property and what is written in the ad.

Last edited:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Dude... open houses allow people to see for themselves what the house is really like. That's why they exist. If you simply buy a house from what you read in the newspaper, then start complaining when all you notice all these problems, you deserve to be shot and arrested.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Dude... open houses allow people to see for themselves what the house is really like. That's why they exist. If you simply buy a house from what you read in the newspaper, then start complaining when all you notice all these problems, you deserve to be shot and arrested.
what I disagree with is selling properties only to one ethnicity.
I.e I seen a real estate in Auburn which advertises properties only in Chinese.
And people tell me I’m crazy for wanting to learn Chinese and Arabic?

Idiots, it would be a great advantage for me!

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep my eye on the real estate market, not just domestically but internationally as well.

How many times have you went to see a house in Australia which just doesnt measure up to the ridiculous commentary in the ad.

There should be some mandatory disclosures in real estate ads.

I noticed in USA, they advertise a property and state square feet of residence. In Australia they use words like spacious and generous for a tiny tuna tin sized house, just ridiculous. At least the USA square feet gives a comparable measure of the size of one residence to another. It should be mandatory. There are too many tiny sized properties that are dressed up to sell, but they are tiny shit houses that are tried to make appear bigger, mutton dressed as lamb.

Also how many times do you go to a property and there are power lines in very close proximity, on a busy street, park next door or across the road, just things that will piss you off. These sorts of obvious disclosures should be in all ads. Ie corner block or school within 250 metres or distance to power lines (closest point)

Or the ad has bullet points and all ticks next to them. But what about what isn’t ticked? Just doesn’t make the list? There are no crosses. There should be a standard list that is either ticked or crossed.

Condition is another point. No point saying words like classic bathroom decor, in other words it’s an old bathroom in need of renovations. Kitchen, bathroom, paint and flooring should have an age since renovated / built. Gives the buyer a proper way to assess the age and likely cost to repair. Like a car has odometer

Size of block should be mandatory, only larger blocks are disclosed the size but small blocks you gotta dig through the fine print to see how small they are.

The ads placed in Australia are designed to just get people to the door, then it’s a matter of what bullshit can you tolerate in order to proceed with your interest in the property.

How about some proper ads, with proper disclosures, standardised, not bullshit to oversell a property, standardised categories and either yes or no answers or specific sizes no fluffy words

Also for renters out there does this also happen in the rental market, turn up to many properties to be hugely disappointed in the property and what is written in the ad.
I disagree.

They need to mislead the public, but what needs to be mandatory, is once the public views the properties, its a free for all to flog the living shit out of the little *****

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
what I disagree with is selling properties only to one ethnicity.
I.e I seen a real estate in Auburn which advertises properties only in Chinese.
And people tell me I’m crazy for wanting to learn Chinese and Arabic?

Idiots, it would be a great advantage for me!
I haven't been to Auburn in 20 years, though isnt the majority still Turkish there?

I thought the Chinese stick to Hurstville, Campsie, Marrickville, Strathfield, Burwood and Chatswood?

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm more worried that you look at properties with overhead powerlines. Might aswell rent if you're going that low end of town......

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I haven't been to Auburn in 20 years, though isnt the majority still Turkish there?

I thought the Chinese stick to Hurstville, Campsie, Marrickville, Strathfield, Burwood and Chatswood?
It’s a melting pot.
A couple of kids approached me and said they’re not used to seeing Aussies walk around the streets.
I’ve seen Nepalese,Afghans,Turks,Asian.

Not many white people around Auburn.

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s a melting pot.
A couple of kids approached me and said they’re not used to seeing Aussies walk around the streets.
I’ve seen Nepalese,Afghans,Turks,Asian.

Not many white people around Auburn.
I got a mate who use to rent out a unit in Lakemba a couple of years ago, and he specifically said there were Afghan and Nepalese women throwing there rubbish, tampons and pads over the balcony into the yards of neighbours

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
my point is the ad is deceptive so you attend the open house but it’s a waste of time. It’s like a sale in a shop but when you go to the shop the product is not there. You get annoyed for the waste of time

who wants to go to an open home that says spacious only to find it’s a tiny tuna tin, probably backs into a park, near power lines and looks like it floods. Waste of time. Say those things in the ad and no one wastes their time.

Last edited:

Wahesh

Reaction score
my point is the ad is deceptive so you attend the open house but it’s a waste of time. It’s like a sale in a shop but when you go to the shop the product is not there. You get annoyed for the waste of time

who wants to go to an open home that says spacious only to find it’s a tiny tuna tin, probably backs into a park, near power lines and looks like it floods. Waste of time. Say those things in the ad and no one wastes their time.
Dude no one takes Real Estate ads seriously because they know they sparkle them up. A "great home for a first home buyers" is usually the ugliest house in the street that needs a wrecking ball put through it.

It's simple. Look for home in the suburb you want, and go to the open house. THAT'S IT.

Location location location. Everything else comes next.

Wahesh

Reaction score

You forgot Ashfield and Cabramatta.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I got a mate who use to rent out a unit in Lakemba a couple of years ago, and he specifically said there were Afghan and Nepalese women throwing there rubbish, tampons and pads over the balcony into the yards of neighbours
Not surprised in the least. The low-rent areas in Lakemba and Wiley Park are the scum central. I'm actually surprised they use tampons - that's how dirty they are. Uneducated scum.