Train Discussion Megathread - Etiquette / Strikes / Gripes

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Q: How many teething problems did the red rattlers, and the Tangaras, and the other trains have?
Answer: A shitload more than the Metro.

Q: How many testing hours and kms has the Metro had and worked fine for?
Answer: A shitload. I've seen the trains operating for the past few months.

But no... lets focus on the 1-5% of the time the system has a problem. I mean it's not like the regular rail system doesn't have regular failures and breakdowns right?

I have heard it was a circuit breaker that tripped at one of the stations, knocking out the wifi to that station, and dropping the train back into manual override. That's how they are designed to work. When they lose connection with the control room, the train automatically stops.

Hmmm I better ring up and tell the Chinese and Japanese and many other countries who have been operating driverless trains for decades now.
Waiting for a link to drop out and inevitable collision, boom!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Waiting for a link to drop out and inevitable collision, boom!
They don't. When the train loses connection, it automatically applies the brakes and stops, waiting for manual override by the driver on the train.

At the command centre if it loses communication with a train, a signal is sent to all other trains.

This was a freak occurance yesterday but shows the failsafes in place are working.

The Monorail suffered heaps of them in its lifetime.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
One thing I hate about the Liverpool train is it loops through the city if you board at town hall.

I live at Sefton/Birrong so i think its best if I use a western line train that stops at Lidcombe then change for Birrong?

Getting into the city on tge Liverpool line isn't as bad during peak hour though.

Much better than having to catch a bus to the station like i used to living out in St Mary's.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
One thing I hate about the Liverpool train is it loops through the city if you board at town hall.

I live at Sefton/Birrong so i think its best if I use a western line train that stops at Lidcombe then change for Birrong?

Getting into the city on tge Liverpool line isn't as bad during peak hour though.

Much better than having to catch a bus to the station like i used to living out in St Mary's.
That certainly sounds quicker in my opinion. The positive thing though is if you get on at Town Hall, it's the first stop through the city circle, so you usually get a good choice of seat. When I used to work at North Sydney, coming home I would get off at Wynyard or Town Hall instead of Central, then walk down 2 platforms (rather than down then up again) and being Town Hall, I would always get a good seat. It's always a shit fight at Central.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
@Wahesh
The s set silver trains are being retired today after nearly 50 years of service!

No more lads smiking in between carriages.

I miss the good old days where you could lean on the door and stop the closing mechanism!

Was always good to hang out the door and puff away on a winny blue!

Wahesh

Reaction score
@Wahesh
The s set silver trains are being retired today after nearly 50 years of service!

No more lads smiking in between carriages.

I miss the good old days where you could lean on the door and stop the closing mechanism!

Was always good to hang out the door and puff away on a winny blue!
Thank goodness... this is going to make life easier in Summer. I also hated the noise they make inside the city circle... horrible.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Thank goodness... this is going to make life easier in Summer. I also hated the noise they make inside the city circle... horrible.
It was always a good challenge being stuck on a silver train with no air conditioning during a heat wave.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once had a chick working as a phone sex operator and another cut her toenails both sitting next to me whilst I was uncomfortable in the middle. It was the Western line though.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
They had a red rattler on the western line for old times sake.

I wish they would modify the tracks with wood planks for the rails.

I miss the old clacking before they modified the planks with concrete.

Wahesh

Reaction score
They had a red rattler on the western line for old times sake.

I wish they would modify the tracks with wood planks for the rails.

I miss the old clacking before they modified the planks with concrete.

I remember that. As recent as early 2000 - that's the last time I remember the clacking on the train tracks - this was on the Bankstown line. I think the transfer to concrete came to coincide with the Olympics, yet they couldn't even get the Millennium trains on the tracks until 2003.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Hopefully for the last time...

IDIOTS WITH LUGGAGE... DO NOT GO UP OR DOWNSTAIRS ON A TRAIN HAVING YOUR SUITCASES CLOGGING UP AN ENTIRE ROW OF SEATS... STAY ON THE PLATFORM LEVEL FFS.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Here we go again, major delays right around the network because ONE train shat itself at Town Hall.

It’s times like this I wish Aunty Gladys was still Transport Minister so we can see what excuses she’ll come up with!

She was always critical as Shadow Minister yet took no accountability as Minister.

Wahesh

Reaction score
To the idiot Indian wearing the short-sleeved Dominos polo shirt who lifted up his arm allowing everyone on the carriage to smell his horrid BO... there's a special place in hell for you.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I seen a new model train being tested last night. Tgey are really quiet you can barely hear them

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
They are the NIF train (New Intercity fleet), they will replace the old V sets (silver trains that travel to the mountains, Wollongong and Newcastle)

They are the first set to not require 2 crew (driver and guard) to be on board to operate.