The Tennis Thread

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Novak Djokovic to Join Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal for AO Rally for Relief

JANUARY 13, 2020 03:10
by HARESH | VIEW 403

• Another superstar has been added to the Australian Open Rally for Relief event which will be held on January 15th on Rod Laver Arena. Serbia's World No. 2 Novak Djokovic, a seven-time champion at Melbourne Park, has joined the star-studded line up that already includes World No.1 and 19-time Grand Slam champion Rafael Nadal, World No.

3 and 20-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer, Nitto ATP Finals winner Stefanos Tsitsipas and Australia's Nick Kyrgios on the men's side. Among the women, 23-time Grand Slam champion Serena Williams, defending Australian Open champion Naomi Osaka and former World No.

1 and 2018 Australian Open champion Caroline Wozniacki, who will be retiring at the end of the Australian Open, will be participating in the event. All funds raised from the charity event will go towards victims affected by the Australian bushfire crisis, which has claimed more than 27 lives already and an estimated one billion animals.

Several players have made personal pledges towards the cause, including Djokovic who contributed $25,000 to the cause. Russian Maria Sharapova also made a donation of $25,000 while several players, including Kyrgios, made pledges based on the number of aces they hit during the Australian summer.

Craig Tiley

✔@CraigTiley

https://twitter.com/CraigTiley/status/1216140569195368448

Pleased to announce on the Today show this morning that @DjokerNole will join AO Rally for Relief with @serenawilliams @rogerfederer @RafaelNadal @naomiosaka @NickKyrgios @CaroWozniacki @StefTsitsipas - we expect millions will be raised over summer from aces for bushfire relief.

10:31 AM - Jan 12, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

90 people are talking about this

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
The Australian Open begins today. Let's see if Ash Barty can cope with all the pressure on her.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Most big names getting through easily at this stage.

Naomi Osaka was down 0-2 early in the 1st set but came back to win 6-2 6-4 against Marie Bouzkova.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Sam Stosur is ripped AF.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A tennis player has been heavily criticised after he was caught asking a ball girl to peel a banana for him during a qualifying match for the Australian Open.

Elliot Benchetrit, the World No 231, was presented with the snack by a ball girl during a break in his match against Dmitry Popko on Saturday.

A video circulating on social media showed the Frenchman asking the girl to peel the piece of fruit, which caused her to give a confused look towards chair umpire John Blom.

His request did not go down well with the official, who told the 21-year-old off and demanded that he do it himself.

Benchetrit, who could be seen peeling the fruit with his teeth after the ball girl had given it to him, appeared to be visibly annoyed by the incident and continued to engage in a back-and-forth with Blom until play restarted.

The ball girl looks a umpire John Blom, who told Benchetrit off (Image: Twitter)

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sam Stosur is ripped AF.
She always has been.. but that's her problem, all power no finesse. I forgot she was even still playing. Probably time to give it away.

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
A tennis player has been heavily criticised after he was caught asking a ball girl to peel a banana for him during a qualifying match for the Australian Open.

Elliot Benchetrit, the World No 231, was presented with the snack by a ball girl during a break in his match against Dmitry Popko on Saturday.

A video circulating on social media showed the Frenchman asking the girl to peel the piece of fruit, which caused her to give a confused look towards chair umpire John Blom.

His request did not go down well with the official, who told the 21-year-old off and demanded that he do it himself.

Benchetrit, who could be seen peeling the fruit with his teeth after the ball girl had given it to him, appeared to be visibly annoyed by the incident and continued to engage in a back-and-forth with Blom until play restarted.

The ball girl looks a umpire John Blom, who told Benchetrit off (Image: Twitter)

Fuck wasnt this a beat up.

The dude has his fingers taped up so couldnt peel the banana and asked the ball girl for a favour. There was nothing malicious in it. In the end he had to use his teeth to open it.

Wahesh

Reaction score
She always has been.. but that's her problem, all power no finesse. I forgot she was even still playing. Probably time to give it away.
She's 35. They mentioned on the news this morning that it was the 5th straight year she's been eliminated in the first round. Definitely time for her to hang up the racket.

Wahesh

Reaction score

The dude has his fingers taped up so couldnt peel the banana and asked the ball girl for a favour. There was nothing malicious in it. In the end he had to use his teeth to open it.
I dunno... he seemed to be able to open the water bottle ok. Not all his fingered were taped together lol.

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I dunno... he seemed to be able to open the water bottle ok. Not all his fingered were taped together lol.
Yeah but its not really the same. You can grip with your whole first to open a water bottle, or have the lid loosened before you come out. Peeling a banana uses different motor skills.

I mean the dude had to peel it with his teeth so he was obviously struggling.

Either way I dont think it deserved the media coverage it got, with idiots like Karl Stefadouchanic going on about how "disgusting" it was.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

Yeah, I've got to agree.

Last edited:

Wahesh

Reaction score
I just found out that Bouchard didn't even qualify. What a fall from grace she's had. Semi-finalist here just 6 years ago, and doesn't even qualify today.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Well here's a surprise. Maria Sharapova... out in straights sets to world #222 Donna Vekić.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well here's a surprise. Maria Sharapova... out in straights sets to world #222 Donna Vekić.
I'd still do Maria in a heart beat, love those Russians.

Is Donna still dating Stan Wawrinka??? She's a hottie as well :grinning:

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I just found out that Bouchard didn't even qualify. What a fall from grace she's had. Semi-finalist here just 6 years ago, and doesn't even qualify today.
Yeah she seems too concerned with her social media presence these days.

There are going to be alot of talented people throwing away their future trying to get their "like" fix.

Would still bang though.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I'd still do Maria in a heart beat, love those Russians.

Is Donna still dating Stan Wawrinka??? She's a hottie as well :grinning:

Nah they split last year.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can't stand Ash Barty... seems to think the world revolves around her

Wahesh

Reaction score
Can't stand Ash Barty... seems to think the world revolves around her
It's not really her, it's the media's focus on her given she's world #1 and the local 'hero' - but what really shits me is how the media is rallying behind Nick Kyrgios. As soon as he does/says something stupid though, they're onto him like flies on shit.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Shout out to John McEnroe who said he'll donate $1000 to the fires for every set that Nick Kyrgios wins at the AO (on top of Nick donating $200 for every ace he makes).