NRL CEO Todd Greenberg Set To Extend Contract For Further Two Years

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
From Sporting News:

He's got one of the toughest jobs in Australian sport - but NRL CEO Todd Greenberg is He's got one of the toughest jobs in Australian sport - but NRL CEO Todd Greenberg is set to earn a two-year contract extension in the coming weeks from ARL Commission boss Peter V'landys.

The former Bulldogs boss often comes under fire from fans and experts for different decisions, but there is no doubting that he has done more good than bad in his tenure as the game's leading man.

He has had to deal with a plethora of off-field issues, but has done wonders for the game financially and grown the women's game exponentially.

And lead rugby league reporter Andrew Webster has confirmed to Big Sports Breakfast on Friday morning that Greenberg will likely remain in the top job for another 24 months.

“It has been going on for some time, and he had hoped to get it sorted before Christmas," he said.

"When V'landys gets back from holidays, one of his first orders of business will be to sort out Todd’s contract.

"He has been wavering on it, but it is my understanding he will have V’landys blessing and he has the numbers on the board to extend him for another two years.

"He is a good man, he has done a lot of good for rugby league that people don’t want to acknowledge, and it is a bit like ‘the devil you know’.

"I think he deserves to be extended."

Greenberg took over as NRL boss in March 2016 from David Smith.

The other major issue facing the NRL bosses is whether or not Peter V'landys will remain in charge or whether he will choose his Racing NSW job over rugby league.

'Peter V’landys said at a Magic Millions function up on the Gold Coast last weekend that he will make a decision on his own future in the next year between racing and rugby league," Webster said.

"People are wondering how he is going to run two sports, and he might have to make a tough decision in the next year according to the man himself."

V'landys took over as ARLC Chairman in October of last year, and has been a major factor in the rise of horse racing in NSW.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
What a surprise :tearsofjoy:

Peter V and Jewberg just scratching backs.

Also, who cares about the growth of the woman's league when they can't even get the men's game right.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Pathetic. But extremely predictable. The NRL has become totally corporate and corrupt to the point where certain rules are in place to protect and favour those clubs.

It's a dying code and short sighted decisions like this will only worsen things. More and more fans are losing interest and turning away by the day, but no one seems to be concerned about it or deems it neccessary to change anything.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
From Sporting News:

He's got one of the toughest jobs in Australian sport - but NRL CEO Todd Greenberg is He's got one of the toughest jobs in Australian sport - but NRL CEO Todd Greenberg is set to earn a two-year contract extension in the coming weeks from ARL Commission boss Peter V'landys.

The former Bulldogs boss often comes under fire from fans and experts for different decisions, but there is no doubting that he has done more good than bad in his tenure as the game's leading man.

He has had to deal with a plethora of off-field issues, but has done wonders for the game financially and grown the women's game exponentially.

And lead rugby league reporter Andrew Webster has confirmed to Big Sports Breakfast on Friday morning that Greenberg will likely remain in the top job for another 24 months.

“It has been going on for some time, and he had hoped to get it sorted before Christmas," he said.

"When V'landys gets back from holidays, one of his first orders of business will be to sort out Todd’s contract.

"He has been wavering on it, but it is my understanding he will have V’landys blessing and he has the numbers on the board to extend him for another two years.

"He is a good man, he has done a lot of good for rugby league that people don’t want to acknowledge, and it is a bit like ‘the devil you know’.

"I think he deserves to be extended."

Greenberg took over as NRL boss in March 2016 from David Smith.

The other major issue facing the NRL bosses is whether or not Peter V'landys will remain in charge or whether he will choose his Racing NSW job over rugby league.

'Peter V’landys said at a Magic Millions function up on the Gold Coast last weekend that he will make a decision on his own future in the next year between racing and rugby league," Webster said.

"People are wondering how he is going to run two sports, and he might have to make a tough decision in the next year according to the man himself."

V'landys took over as ARLC Chairman in October of last year, and has been a major factor in the rise of horse racing in NSW.
That will fucking do me!

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
He hasn't finished running it into the ground yet.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
He hasn't finished running it into the ground yet.
Typical Jew wanting to milk it for all it's worth before hopefully falling on his sword. He may have improved, and I use that word loosely some things but he destroyed a lot more things in my opinion.

Not to mention his nose is that far up South's and East's arseholes.

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
it's not considered a professional sport anymore rather a tv entertainment product. their KPI's is just to milk more money out of tv deals.....

game day experience is dead....

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The only thing keeping the game afloat is the betting agencies... sad state of affairs

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Another two years to alienate fans (outside of the Souths and the half dozen roosters fans) and make the game unrecognisable to people that have watched it their whole lives. Interestingly he's going to be there until the tv rights deal expires. I'm expecting that the next deal will not be close to the current one and the board might finally oust him if their juicy bonus payments are not justified anymore.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
With all the rule changes CONSTANTLY happening every year, it's sad to say that Rugby League will NEVER hit rock bottom with Greenberg in charge, because they will always sink to a new low.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Also, who cares about the growth of the woman's league when they can't even get the men's game right.
I actually think that they're doing that opposite. They're over-investing in trying to get the women's game equal to the NRL (lol) which will never happen for 2 reasons...
  1. Women's rugby league simply is not as entertaining to watch as it is not as physical (rugby league is known to be the #1 contact sport in the world)
  2. Companies will not sponsor women's RL as much as the NRL as it's quality is below that of the NSW/QLD Cup

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to see the KPI's for his contract if it has any?

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Typical Jew wanting to milk it for all it's worth before hopefully falling on his sword. He may have improved, and I use that word loosely some things but he destroyed a lot more things in my opinion.

Not to mention his nose is that far up South's and East's arseholes.
The 1950’s called. They want their antisemitism back...

Seriously, don’t disagree with your other points but no need for that shit (even if you think it’s a joke).

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually think that they're doing that opposite. They're over-investing in trying to get the women's game equal to the NRL (lol) which will never happen for 2 reasons...
  1. Women's rugby league simply is not as entertaining to watch as it is not as physical (rugby league is known to be the #1 contact sport in the world)
  2. Companies will not sponsor women's RL as much as the NRL as it's quality is below that of the NSW/QLD Cup
Trolling for a response? Ok I’ll bite.

The rise of the Women’s game has happened at just the right time for my daughter who’s playing U14 atm. This didn’t exist near us a couple of years ago, meaning she would have had to stop playing after U12 until she was 18. And she’s a smashing forward so not a candidate to play touch.

She knows all the NRLW players, the teams have sponsors, when they tackle they don’t hold back.

Is it the same level as the men? Of course not, but they rate of improvement is rapid. Also, the women don’t get caught up in stabbings, rape, Sweet Carolines, sexting, and all the other shit that’s continually dragging the game down.

I don’t agree with everything the NRLol is doing with the women’s game, but at least their making a genuine effort to grow it.

Just because it doesn’t interest you, doesn’t mean the NRL is wrong to support.

No ones forcing you to watch it...

Wahesh

Reaction score
Trolling for a response? Ok I’ll bite.

The rise of the Women’s game has happened at just the right time for my daughter who’s playing U14 atm. This didn’t exist near us a couple of years ago, meaning she would have had to stop playing after U12 until she was 18. And she’s a smashing forward so not a candidate to play touch.

She knows all the NRLW players, the teams have sponsors, when they tackle they don’t hold back.

Is it the same level as the men? Of course not, but they rate of improvement is rapid. Also, the women don’t get caught up in stabbings, rape, Sweet Carolines, sexting, and all the other shit that’s continually dragging the game down.

I don’t agree with everything the NRLol is doing with the women’s game, but at least their making a genuine effort to grow it.

Just because it doesn’t interest you, doesn’t mean the NRL is wrong to support.

No ones forcing you to watch it...
Look I'm not sexist in anyway, but something that's doing my head in is how the rise of the women's game is not just around the NRL... it's everywhere. Women's soccer team wants equal pay. Women's tennis play want equal play WHILE PLAYING LESS TENNIS (5 sets men vs 3 sets women). Women' soccer domestic league and Domestic EPL is now televised more. The pay gap is constantly debated.

I am all for equal rights, however the madness in advising the topic has done my head in to the point where it's put me off.

As for your daughter, I'm all for her and other girls playing the game and having fun and keeping fit, but I'm over the whole equality thing in sport and life in general... I'm so put off by all the advertising.

Personally if I had a daughter though, I'd prefer her to do a sport that wasn't as physical. Maybe tennis or gymnastics or something - just my personal opinion though. Certainly not trolling.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look I'm not sexist in anyway, but something that's doing my head in is how the rise of the women's game is not just around the NRL... it's everywhere. Women's soccer team wants equal pay. Women's tennis play want equal play WHILE PLAYING LESS TENNIS (5 sets men vs 3 sets women). Women' soccer domestic league and Domestic EPL is now televised more. The pay gap is constantly debated.

I am all for equal rights, however the madness in advising the topic has done my head in to the point where it's put me off.

As for your daughter, I'm all for her and other girls playing the game and having fun and keeping fit, but I'm over the whole equality thing in sport and life in general... I'm so put off by all the advertising.

Personally if I had a daughter though, I'd prefer her to do a sport that wasn't as physical. Maybe tennis or gymnastics or something - just my personal opinion though. Certainly not trolling.
It’ll be a long time before NRLW wages are equal to NRL.

If the women’s leagues of a particular sport have equivalent popularity figures and TV ratings, earning same dollars for advertisers as the men’s leagues , why shouldn’t they get equal pay as well. Not the case for footy, but it would be getting that way in tennis. Maybe even soccer internationals (in Australia anyway).

FYI, I didn’t choose footy for my daughter, she did. I tried her with soccer first, but she only lasted a season.