Opinion How long does Dean Pay have in 2020?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
10 games, min 50% winning, team improving and competing every single game. Can he attract noted players though?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who do you suggest will be available after round 15? McGregor perhaps, but I think he’s safe till Flanagan is allowed to head coach. And who in their right mind would want him anyway. Is Bellamy going to chuck it in half way through the season? And then immediately come to us, somehow I don’t think so. He’d have enough offers to keep him busy reading contracts for the rest of the season and then some. Maybe Holbrook won’t like the Gold Coast after a few months and decide Belmore is better. Robinson leave the Chooks, hardly likely. Who then?

Swapping coaches mid season doesn't work, unless there is someone demonstrably better lined up and quite frankly I just don't see anyone remotely likely that's even close to meeting that criteria.

Go Dogs
Could be anybody mate... They don't have to be head coaches of another club.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Who could replace him ? It's not all his fault we couldn't recruit better
Agreed. How is he able to recruit anyone of note when he has little money to offer.
Next year will be different when a lot of the free loaders have been payed off or dispatched.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Pays starting 13 selections were horrendous for the start of last year and when he fixed that with the welcome addition of dwz we looked really good so hopefully he remembers that guys like elliott/c smith/britt are not starting players
Hindsight is a beautiful thing isn’t it.

How popular would’ve a lot of his successful changes have been if they’d been floated on here prior to last season? Eg. JMK at hooker, Meaney on the wing. Not very. JMK was written off completely in any capacity by the resident experts on here. Apparently Nu Brown was a far superior option..

Pay was bagged mercilessly for persisting with Meaney on the wing but it turned out to be a successful experiment and he got better and better.

DWZ was a great acquisition who made a difference but obviously wasn’t at our disposal for the first half of the year when we were struggling a bit.

To’omaga was another who added some punch in the back half but again was unavailable from Round 1 due to injury, and was rightly made to prove his form and fitness via Canterbury Cup.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Whether we start this season with a bang or a whimper will be seen soon enough....and even though it is rumored that we will have a treasure chest available for the 2021 season I don't see Pay as a huge draw card that will help attract top line talent or should I say what some kennelers would call X factor type players to the club.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

How popular would’ve a lot of his successful changes have been if they’d been floated on here prior to last season? Eg. JMK at hooker, Meaney on the wing. Not very. JMK was written off completely in any capacity by the resident experts on here. Apparently Nu Brown was a far superior option..

Pay was bagged mercilessly for persisting with Meaney on the wing but it turned out to be a successful experiment and he got better and better.

DWZ was a great acquisition who made a difference but obviously wasn’t at our disposal for the first half of the year when we were struggling a bit.

To’omaga was another who added some punch in the back half but again was unavailable from Round 1 due to injury, and was rightly made to prove his form and fitness via Canterbury Cup.

thanks Dean LOL

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wasn't bitching, it was simply a question.
I'm optimistic that we'll be competitive in those first 10 games, however, if we're sitting at 3 wins from 10 games how long do we persist with Dean Pay as coach?
How are we supposed to attract talent for 2021, which Pay and the board have said is the plan, if we're struggling and aren't changing the things we can control such as an off contract coach?
fair enough mate... see so much Pay hate on here that I mistook the intentions of your post.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I honestly think that he is safe if he avoids the wooden spoon.

I also hope that he uses our so called "war chest" wisely for 2021.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
They don't have real opinions, they just form an argument in favour of whatever decision the club/coach makes and twist facts.
Exactly the response I expected to get from the bloke who whinged all season about Nu Brown not getting a run. Where is Nu playing this year? Surely he’s got a contract already?

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Pay was reportedly only a loss or two from getting the chop midseason to.
In hindsight, that wonderful thing, it was a good decision to keep him on as the team turned it around and we all know how good the last 9 rounds were.
We're going into 2020 with a fit (baring Foran) and uninterrupted preseason. We have 1 spot left in the top 30 and hopefully make a solid signing for 2020 during preseason or in the coming rounds.
Optimistically, I hope we're sitting on 5 or 6 wins and the late 2019 form carries through. However, should we play poorly and after 10 rounds our season is a write off again, where do we draw the line and make some changes in the coaching department?

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first game against the eels is massive. They have a strong squad this year and if we can cause an upset it will be a perfect start. A game I can’t wait for.

Go the bulldogs

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The language and abuse is all a bit unnecessary? Settle down

Where’s Brown playing this year? Serious question.
I was at the SCG game vs the Chooks (granted a quality team and eventual premiers) but Nu was dead set awful that day as starting half. We got hammered.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
From my side Pay is my biggest concern going into the season, not whether we've got a marque player or the right wingers or Foran being out or whatever.

Honestly think, barring disaster, he should have the year. I don't think we can really expect much but at the same time I don't think there are great or even good alternatives out there. If one came up then maybe he'd be booted but I think he really turned things around last year and should have the whole year to show his strength.

2021 is a massive year for this club and we need stability. The last thing we need is a mid-season change of coach to further disrupt the roster and to give further reasons for potential players not to sign. At the same time though, if we're playing like crap and don't look like getting out of it we'll be equally in trouble. Difficult one for the board.

Is Pay good enough to lead us forward? We'll find out this year for sure.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I was at the SCG game vs the Chooks (granted a quality team and eventual premiers) but Nu was dead set awful that day as starting half. We got hammered.
I saw it the same way mate but I swear I came on here post-game and he was getting a lot of praise for that performance lol.

You need some footy smarts to cut it in the halves or hooker at first grade level and from what I saw he had zero. Think he only chalked up 30 odd games since debuting in 2014 which pretty much says it all.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay was reportedly only a loss or two from getting the chop midseason to.
Can’t believe that rumour gathered any sort of traction.

Pretty sure we re-signed him after Round 4. He was never gonna be sacked last year, let alone a month or 2 after being re-signed.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Can’t believe that rumour gathered any sort of traction.

Pretty sure we re-signed him after Round 4. He was never gonna be sacked last year, let alone a month or 2 after being re-signed.
Think it was related to Hilly being in the UK (allegedly to hire Holbrook). They caught up because they know each other but that’s all. I remember reading a post on here that read something like ‘the board had until 4pm Sunday to get back to Holbrook but failed so he took the job at the Titans’. Utter nonsense :-)

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They may extend him even if we start off with losses.. thats what happened last time..

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
a poster in another thread said Paul Dunn said a slow start is unacceptable... so who the fuck knows what that means....

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The problem I see with pay is he is often 3 steps behind instead of 1 or 2 steps a head Like better coaches

I’m also worried that the last two years where we have Strung some wins together & won games at the back end of the season after we are well out of finals contention he and the players have said The play book has gone out the window & they have just gone out and had fun and threw the ball about eg Pay has stopped coaching or at the least his input has been greatly reduced