Opinion How long does Dean Pay have in 2020?

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
If we start like the last two years he has to go, each year we can’t win a thing until the games mean nothing at all people with short memories get sucked in and then all off season we have people on here jerking off about how we are going to kill it only to start shithouse again and walk the wooden spoon tight rope

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben Anderson
Only logical to get rid of a coach who is struggling 10 rounds before seasons end so the incoming coach can start working before the upcoming season
Who do you suggest will be available after round 15? McGregor perhaps, but I think he’s safe till Flanagan is allowed to head coach. And who in their right mind would want him anyway. Is Bellamy going to chuck it in half way through the season? And then immediately come to us, somehow I don’t think so. He’d have enough offers to keep him busy reading contracts for the rest of the season and then some. Maybe Holbrook won’t like the Gold Coast after a few months and decide Belmore is better. Robinson leave the Chooks, hardly likely. Who then?

Swapping coaches mid season doesn't work, unless there is someone demonstrably better lined up and quite frankly I just don't see anyone remotely likely that's even close to meeting that criteria.

Go Dogs

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here. Round 6 all doubt disappear. Go you mighty bulldogs!!whinging bulldogs fan need to cry somewhere else ...... sooks

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Many suggested that was Opes’ mission previously and that turned out to be a furphy.
That Ben Anderson theory was a real Kennel classic wasn’t it.

With response to the question - Pay is here to stay as far as I’m concerned. There will obviously be question marks over his job if we’re struggling come R10-12, but I don’t see that happening the way this group is coming along under him.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Still say we need a strong coach and thought Holbrook was the perfect fit on two counts, his had success in England and knows the nrl and has spent time at belmore

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ben Anderson would most certainly be a decision that would backfire with the fans

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Pretty much no chance of them sacking him unless something catastrophic happens, even then I don't see it.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
That Ben Anderson theory was a real Kennel classic wasn’t it.

With response to the question - Pay is here to stay as far as I’m concerned. There will obviously be question marks over his job if we’re struggling come R10-12, but I don’t see that happening the way this group is coming along under him.
Agree. And smart move by the board to extend him by one year last year to provide an option either way for 2021 depending on how we get out of the gates this year.

Your new profile pic certainly suggests you believe Dean is here to stay - for 2000 years? :-)

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They won’t get rid of him his only got this year.
Precisely, the real question is, at what point do the board decide they won't be offering him a new contract?

And that question doesn't just rest on the team performances in the first half of the season, it also depends on whether or not a suitable replacement coach can be found to start in 2021.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He's here to stay unfortunately!
There is no one out there at the moment.
Im just hoping that that Dogs dont do anything stupid like extend his contract too early and for more then 1 year.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I honestly think Pay is better suited to an assistant coaching role

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bellamy will be just about to leave the Storm after the last of the trio Cam Smith retires.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
PAY has been a good gap fill but I don't think he is the man to take us into the next phase.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not long if results are consistent as last 2 seasons.
And sorry howard if common sence is whinging to u.
But im not following any coach off the end of a cliff.
U dont persist with a coach all season if he is not in the plans for the following.
Your future coach has to have a little time to prepare for the following season. Common sence

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who could replace him ? It's not all his fault we couldn't recruit better

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hope he goes well and we are sitting mid table after 10 rounds. Uncertainty on who will be the coach next year, especially if we do not make the 8 will make recruitment for 2021 even more difficult.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Depends on how they lose those games. Are they competing and are they showing constant improvement? These will be key questions for me.