Opinion How long does Dean Pay have in 2020?

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Just having a look at the first 10 rounds of the comp this year, we play the following teams.
Eels away
Cowboys home
Tigers away
Sharks home
Rabbits away
Eels home
Cowboys away
Raiders home
Warriors away
Manly home

We should be competitive in the majority of these games, but I think we could still be sitting 3 and 7 by the end of round 10, same as last year.
If we start the season poorly like 2019, how long does Dean Pay get before getting the tap on the shoulder?

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
They won’t get rid of him his only got this year.

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Well it depends but in terms of recruitment for next season any new prospects would want to know who the head coach in 2021 will be.

So if he doesn't start well and gets a tap on the shoulder i'd expect an interim coach would take over and hopefully the 2021 coach is there to handles player contracts.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think he will last the season no matter what. In saying that if it’s the same slow start as the last two seasons and we are out of contention mid way through the season he won’t be re-signed.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If Pay can get 4/10 there he'll be doing better than expected - we're not favourites in any of those games (can change week to week) and our best chance is against the Warriors. I honestly think Pay is fine unless a top coach comes on the market. Our squad is millions under the salary cap (if players were paid what they're worth - back ended contracts, paying players elsewhere, etc) and our best player isn't playing. That's the main problem I'd say. There are a few positives and things we can look forward to but ultimately they're outweighed.

Last edited:

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just having a look at the first 10 rounds of the comp this year, we play the following teams.
Eels away
Cowboys home
Tigers away
Sharks home
Rabbits away
Eels home
Cowboys away
Raiders home
Warriors away
Manly home

We should be competitive in the majority of these games, but I think we could still be sitting 3 and 7 by the end of round 10, same as last year.
If we start the season poorly like 2019, how long does Dean Pay get before getting the tap on the shoulder?
Look at every team in the nrl,nearly all of them have added to their rosters,we go in with a very young squad at our disposal,and I think under a more mature coach,could do very well,I'm not convinced that dean pay is the right person,for the job,

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think he will last the season no matter what. In saying that if it’s the same slow start as the last two seasons and we are out of contention mid way through the season he won’t be re-signed.
On the flip side if he does start well I hope they don't extend him for a ridiculous amount of time, a couple of season would be plenty.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think strong improvement and a strong recruitment drive in 2021 will be enough for Dean Pay.

It's sad to say but even if we make the 8, we'll merely be making up the numbers barring some form of miracle, our roster just isn't strong enough to compete with the best

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Only logical to get rid of a coach who is struggling 10 rounds before seasons end so the incoming coach can start working before the upcoming season

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think strong improvement and a strong recruitment drive in 2021 will be enough for Dean Pay.

It's sad to say but even if we make the 8, we'll merely be making up the numbers barring some form of miracle, our roster just isn't strong enough to compete with the best
Those bloody miracles.... Would be nice to see another 98 in my lifetime.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

Making the eight itself is a miracle. This would be like Leicester City winning the Premier League.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
He will see out the current contract at least. Quit bitching
I wasn't bitching, it was simply a question.
I'm optimistic that we'll be competitive in those first 10 games, however, if we're sitting at 3 wins from 10 games how long do we persist with Dean Pay as coach?
How are we supposed to attract talent for 2021, which Pay and the board have said is the plan, if we're struggling and aren't changing the things we can control such as an off contract coach?

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pays starting 13 selections were horrendous for the start of last year and when he fixed that with the welcome addition of dwz we looked really good so hopefully he remembers that guys like elliott/c smith/britt are not starting players

Last edited:

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasn't bitching, it was simply a question.
I'm optimistic that we'll be competitive in those first 10 games, however, if we're sitting at 3 wins from 10 games how long do we persist with Dean Pay as coach?
How are we supposed to attract talent for 2021, which Pay and the board have said is the plan, if we're struggling and aren't changing the things we can control such as an off contract coach?
You can tell the start of the season is approaching.

I’m excited but that can change real quick if Wakeham doesn’t start in round 1, we’re clueless in attack, Tolman takes a hitup on the 4th, our bench rotation makes me scratch my head or our captain doesn’t employ strategic stoppages in play to help the team.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Only logical to get rid of a coach who is struggling 10 rounds before seasons end so the incoming coach can start working before the upcoming season
Who do you suggest will be available after round 15? McGregor perhaps, but I think he’s safe till Flanagan is allowed to head coach. And who in their right mind would want him anyway. Is Bellamy going to chuck it in half way through the season? And then immediately come to us, somehow I don’t think so. He’d have enough offers to keep him busy reading contracts for the rest of the season and then some. Maybe Holbrook won’t like the Gold Coast after a few months and decide Belmore is better. Robinson leave the Chooks, hardly likely. Who then?

Swapping coaches mid season doesn't work, unless there is someone demonstrably better lined up and quite frankly I just don't see anyone remotely likely that's even close to meeting that criteria.

Go Dogs