Thoughts on pursuing Kayln Ponga for 2022

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Strong how?
Same shit happening at junior level, we continually missing out on the best talent to other clubs...
Strong pub side we are building here at the bulldogs.
U again..........Read what i wrote bud. People on here are saying our junior system is good again, i live 10 hours away ive got no fucking idea. Do u need me to say it again ?

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not doing too well from what I have heard...after renos.

And besides why play games in Perth when we carnt even grow our memberships in our own backyard.

Someone tell me what is the point of going to Perth this year.?

How did Adelaide pan out and Wellington in years gone by?
We havnt won at belmore for a long time either. Maybe we relocate to bali then we will entice players

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Brilliant talent, all comes down to how much.....

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
We havnt won at belmore for a long time either. Maybe we relocate to bali then we will entice players
The Bali Bulldogs would already have Nelson Asofa-Solomona and David Fifita signed. Might be some PR challenges there though.

Last edited:

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Bali Bulldogs would already have Nelson Asofa-Solomona and David Fifita signed. Might be some PR challenges there though.
Our favourite tackle could be the flying dropkick!

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thoughts of pursuing Ponga - Nah.
His girlfriend Klemmer has probably been in his ear telling him all good things about the Dogs anyways.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Dunno why we would want to pay so much to get a fb when we have dwz, meaney and hopoate. Pretty sure we can do better with the money

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Dunno why we would want to pay so much to get a fb when we have dwz, meaney and hopoate. Pretty sure we can do better with the money
Because it would be nice to have a fullback that had pace, footwork and could ball play lol. I've said it before but if Hoppa was blessed with more pace and agility then he would probably be the 3rd best fullback behind Teddy and RTS.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Because it would be nice to have a fullback that had pace, footwork and could ball play lol. I've said it before but if Hoppa was blessed with more pace and agility then he would probably be the 3rd best fullback behind Teddy and RTS.

what about on the other side of the football? we know he is lazy in that department, bar that one Origin game.... The fullback's defence and how he organises his troops is just as important as what he does with the football

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s a no from me he is going to chasing big bucks and what’s he done at Newcastle? He shows some glimpses and does do great things but he hasn’t led them to a finals series let alone anything else.
He is still very young though. Pearce and Plummer should have been the ones to do that last year to be fair.
The kid is a freak though! I'd much prefer him to say LM!!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wasn't it Pay who stated previously we need to sign a franchise player like Kayln Ponga ? I have the feeling from November this year the Dogs will make a big play for Ponga himself (if the Knights don't extend him before then). At least the Roosters and Manly should be out of this bidding war but we'd have to compete with the Broncos and others. He'd be likely to want around $1M a season also.

Dogs have recently extended a few players til the end of 2021. Seems they are focusing on a big review for the end of this season and are looking to 2022 as their main strategy (not 2021). At the board forum a couple of nights ago they confirmed they are still seeking marquee players for the right fit and right money.

What are your thoughts on Ponga ? At least he's a spine player.

JANUARY 16 2020 - 6:30PM
NRL | Knights are hoping to avoid a bidding war over Kalyn Ponga's long-term future

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/...-his-future-as-knights-play-the-waiting-game/

Dynamic Newcastle fullback Kalyn Ponga won't be pushed into making an early call on his long term future at the Knights despite severing ties with his former manager.

But Knights officials say they will be doing all they can to ensure he doesn't go on the open market in November.

Knights CEO Phil Gardner said Ponga's management resolution, which saw him officially split from agent Wayde Rushton a few weeks ago, may not necessarily bring forward negotiations for a contract upgrade and extension.

"We won't be pushing that,"he said. "KP [Ponga] and his family know where we stand on it so we have to sit tight and wait for them to come back to us. Just when that will be is a decision for them. But getting something done prior to November is obviously a big priority for us. We'd love to have something sorted by mid-season if possible."

Ponga is contracted until the end of the 2021 season and has an option in his favour for 2022 which means he can officially negotiate with rival clubs at the end of this year.

Gardner is understandably concerned at the threat a powerhouse club like the Brisbane Broncos, who have Darius Boyd coming off contract at the same time as Ponga, would pose financially if it became a free-for-all.

"He'll be one of the most sought-after players in the game, there is no doubt about that so we need to re-sign him and upgrade him," Gardner said.

"If you are looking at the clubs in the NRL if he was off contract right now, there would only be two that wouldn't be chasing him which would be Manly and the Roosters because of who they already have at fullback.

"Every other club wants him. Certainly, the Brisbane Broncos would be a huge challenge for us. They have already back-channeled crazy numbers so for us, we've just got to put our best foot forward.

"We are hoping he will come on board for 2022 and 2023 - that would be a great outcome for us and we are doing our best to get him there. That would mean potentially upgrading him this year and for 2021."

For his part, the Knights fullback is saying little about his future plans, preferring instead to put all his energies into lifting the team's prospects on the field this season.

"I'm not going to be commenting on it," he said.

"My focus is just on this year. Yeah, it gets brought up in the media a lot and I understand that but I don't stress or worry about it.

"For me, it's all about this season and doing my best for my teammates, the coach and my family."

The fact Rushton is no longer Ponga's manager is privately viewed as a positive by club officials with his father Andre set to take over his son's off-field affairs.

But Gardner still believes a key component in any discussion over the young fullback's future will centre on the success of the club.

"I think KP is happy here, he and his family is happy living here in Newcastle but he is someone who wants success, he wants to be successful," he said.

"He wants to win a premiership and that's obviously why we want him here because he gives us a better chance of achieving that.

"We need to be in a situation where he can see us winning a competition. When he can see that, I believe we can get him extended. That is what it's all about.

"It's not all about the money. It's like with Pearcey [Mitchell Pearce]. It's not all about the money with him either. He just wants to win another comp."

Asked if the possible lack of third party deals could hamper the Knights' plans, Gardner said: "Legitimate third party deals are an important part of the game, particularly for top-end players and they are certainly out there for players like KP.

"So, whoever is allowed to line them up for him, I'm sure they will be."
It's a massive yes from me!!! He can take Forans $1.2 mil!!!
It's funny they mention the Broncos watches after Boyd retires, but what about us moving For an on? He is reortadly on 50% more then Boyd.
Sign him up!!! He most likely won't surpass Thurston place in history, bit signing him would go a long way to elevating some of the pain we have from losing Thurston.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
what about on the other side of the football? we know he is lazy in that department, bar that one Origin game.... The fullback's defence and how he organises his troops is just as important as what he does with the football
Not when we score fuck all points, and put simply we need points. Our spine is fucking garbage and not one of them excel offensively and until they do questions will continue to be asked.

Defence can improve via various methods, but some of the attacking flair that we badly lack just can't. At the very least we have Wakeham and Averillo coming through, DWZ also has the year to cement his position and improve offensively. But like I said we simply need points.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not when we score fuck all points, and put simply we need points. Our spine is fucking garbage and not one of them excel offensively and until they do questions will continue to be asked.

Defence can improve via various methods, but some of the attacking flair that we badly lack just can't. At the very least we have Wakeham and Averillo coming through, DWZ also has the year to cement his position and improve offensively. But like I said we simply need points.
the problem for me is that the good defensive teams don't have a problem in handling Ponga, and he would be asking the type of money you would expect to pay for a Munster or a Teddy, because he is the "wonder kid". I'm much happier with Dallin personally.. he played a big role in reversing our team's fortunes and is still getting better

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Torn on this one.

he’s still a puppy and “could” be top 3 players in the world. Genuine footy player and WILL be a match winner. A future franchise player if he keeps his head right.

seems to be talking a bit about All Blacks and can have his head turned easily.... didn’t like how he chucked in in around the whole Brownie saga.

I can honestly say I’m 50/50 - on the fence.

what will shit me is if a Broncos (I can see him there once they get rid of Bird, Boyd) nab him and he fulfills his potential. And we will keep going with guys like Elliot and Montoya in our squad....

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Because we buy him as a 5/8

I would leave DWZ and Hopper where they are if he came in as 5/8

Too many people steering or attempting to steer the Knights around, apparently we are rudderless in the halves so keep old mate at 7 with his defence and long kick and give Ponga the team to run the plays.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Because we buy him as a 5/8

I would leave DWZ and Hopper where they are if he came in as 5/8

Too many people steering or attempting to steer the Knights around, apparently we are rudderless in the halves so keep old mate at 7 with his defence and long kick and give Ponga the team to run the plays.
He wasn't good at 5/8. Not good enough a half to pay so much for him to be one. You could buy any experienced half in the NRL for his money, and ponga wouldn't even be a top 10 half

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He wasn't good at 5/8. Not good enough a half to pay so much for him to be one. You could buy any experienced half in the NRL for his money, and ponga wouldn't even be a top 10 half
Fair comment but I think thats more to do with playing inside Pearce who is a control freak himself. I think with a team like ours if he was given control and bought into our culture he could blossom to be an absolute key signing and marque player.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Even if the club made a huge offer for him, there's no way on earth he's turning down an offer from the All Blacks, Brisbane or the other cartel clubs to choose us.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So seems like everyone agrees he is a kiwi playing origin
All blacks
All blacks
All blacks is all I keep hearing yet the kiwis don’t get him. Damn shame!

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So seems like everyone agrees he is a kiwi playing origin
All blacks
All blacks
All blacks is all I keep hearing yet the kiwis don’t get him. Damn shame!
I agree with you bro, some of the kiwis should have publicly hit him up about this already. If he is so passionate and dreams of one day wearing the All Blacks jersey then where is his pride for the NZ test jumper now ?