Thoughts on pursuing Kayln Ponga for 2022

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Why we going to Perth mate...?

Extraordinary meeting on the cards if they reach rock bottom by June/ July
We're going to Perth because the NRL and WARL give the football club money to promote the game in that market.
Same reason why the Eels go to Darwin, Chooks go to Adelaide etc.
The leagues club is wealthy - and although supports the football club the football club is responsible for running its business and that includes revenue from where you can get it - sponsorships, roadshows etc.
0% chance of an EGM.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Kieran Foran is the benchmark ,signed for a truckload and done nothing,so any marquee player offered mega money will be justified because he'll offer so much more than foran

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Not doing too well from what I have heard...after renos.

And besides why play games in Perth when we carnt even grow our memberships in our own backyard.

Someone tell me what is the point of going to Perth this year.?

How did Adelaide pan out and Wellington in years gone by?
The fans aren’t as soft over there

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Why we going to Perth mate...?

Extraordinary meeting on the cards if they reach rock bottom by June/ July
Ray Dib’s Salim Mehaja style proxy votes don’t work anymore

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The fans aren’t as soft over there
I went to the Dogs/Storm game in Perth in 2018 and just in talking to people I met on the day I was surprised how strong (small, but strong) the RL community in WA is - it's got a strong following for an AFL state, which was good to see.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ray Dib’s Salim Mehaja style proxy votes don’t work anymore
They actually have to still use proxy’s the board looked into getting rid of them but it’s against government legislation.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I went to the Dogs/Storm game in Perth in 2018 and just in talking to people I met on the day I was surprised how strong (small, but strong) the RL community in WA is - it's got a strong following for an AFL state, which was good to see.
They really are aren’t they. A lot of people moved with the mining boom and still love their league. I’m looking forward to the nines in a few weeks

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
They actually have to still use proxy’s the board looked into getting rid of them but it’s against government legislation.
Yeah that’s why I said the Salim Mehajer style ones mate ie dodgy :grinning:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
They really are aren’t they. A lot of people moved with the mining boom and still love their league. I’m looking forward to the nines in a few weeks
I’m tossing up between the 9’s or the Storm game and leaning towards the latter - not sure why, maybe because it’s a premiership game.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So they will shit can the coach when we are 1-8 after the first 2 months of footy? To save face right ...
We're going to Perth because the NRL and WARL give the football club money to promote the game in that market.
Same reason why the Eels go to Darwin, Chooks go to Adelaide etc.
The leagues club is wealthy - and although supports the football club the football club is responsible for running its business and that includes revenue from where you can get it - sponsorships, roadshows etc.
0% chance of an EGM.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
So they will shit can the coach when we are 1-8 after the first 2 months of footy? To save face right ...
Not sure I follow your logic.
They extended Pay by 1 year - I think - for that very reason - to have flexibility for 2021 depending on how things are going. Right now they back Pay 100% but he’s going to have to earn an extension.

Would you prefer what the previous Chair did: re-sign the coach, then sack him and get sued and have to pay a substantial settlement?

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they were smart enough they would have performance clauses attached to his contract to alleviate getting sued.
I am sure they would have learned from the previous board right? So they keep on telling us.
Not sure I follow your logic.
They extended Pay by 1 year - I think - for that very reason - to have flexibility for 2021 depending on how things are going. Right now they back Pay 100% but he’s going to have to earn an extension.

Would you prefer what the previous Chair did: re-sign the coach, then sack him and get sued and have to pay a substantial settlement?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
If they were smart enough they would have performance clauses attached to his contract to alleviate getting sued.
I am sure they would have learned from the previous board right? So they keep on telling us.
Slightly different situation. Pay is off contract this year. If the team doesn’t perform adequately, he simply doesn’t get renewed. That’s a lot cleaner than how Dib and co dealt with Des, which was a panic leading up to the election. This time the election will be over before any decisions around coaching need to be made.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Are you willing to put the 1 from 8 in the “Mark my words” thread?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Jordon McLean, Scott Sorenson, Connor Watson and Tyson Frizell would be nice and only Frizell would be considered expensive.
McLean and Thompson would be a nice starting front row. Napa and Renouf on the bench