News Canterbury set for just $350,000 in cap relief for losing Kieran Foran

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If they sign Douhehi with that amount and pay the 100k difference, then that could prove to be a shrewd move. No other halves are really worth signing.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A few clubs are maxed out with their Caps, if we threw a Cherry at the likes of Moylan, Milford or Bird etc. Not saying i'd really like any maybe Milford at a stretch but there may be others with excess halves floating around.
Personally id probably rather stick with what we have instead of a knee jerk signing... Dunno.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
A few clubs are maxed out with their Caps, if we threw a Cherry at the likes of Moylan, Milford or Bird etc. Not saying i'd really like any maybe Milford at a stretch but there may be others with excess halves floating around.
Personally id probably rather stick with what we have instead of a knee jerk signing... Dunno.
Ditto - stick. I also think Moylan is also trouble beyond injury.

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here; I’m saying too much here but bulldogs will only get $350k relief and will be used next year salary cap. Foran gets resigned and reduced contract. Trump will be elected president for second term.........

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here; I’m saying too much here but bulldogs will only get $350k relief and will be used next year salary cap.
That's not how it works, the $350k is to be used to replace the injured player while he is unavailable, ie; this year, not next year.

gets resigned and reduced contract.
That's at least possible, but a good idea?.

Trump will be elected president for second term.........
That's next to a certainty.

1 out of 3 = fail
2 out of 3 = ain't bad

Go Dogs

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Addo Carr will be at Souths ! The Roosters don’t need any more wingers & already shown they do t pay overs for wingers just ask Blake Ferguson.
Souths will offer Melbourne Johnston or Doueihi maybe both to get Addo Carr to the club.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It is different you are right ... but the issue is more why cap it at $350k? So if the player is only on $350k then they get the full salary exempt? It should be 50% of their salary so we would get over $500k for Foran plus the 300-400 reportedly remaining we would be active for a marque player for 2020...

$350k is still not bad though we can and should buy somebody..for 2020.
Its only logical that it is 50% of the players wage and it will happen. I bet my life on it that it will change, just not this year but the next when it doesn't apply to the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs.

well done

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Its a percentage of the players salary for that season capped at 350k.
If the player was on 150k the club doesn't get 350k, more like 50k

Player on 400k club would get 150k- 200k

Dont know the exact numbers.

Raiders got nothing for Rapana last season because they knew he was going well in rehab and would have had to sit him out a few weeks.

We should be happy to get anything tbh, to have done his shoulder that badly in that situation he must have been pretty stuffed before he even took to the field

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its only logical that it is 50% of the players wage and it will happen. I bet my life on it that it will change, just not this year but the next when it doesn't apply to the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs.
Totally agree! Suspect an all star player from a cartel team will be injured and out for the season, rule reviewed in light of affected club and bang new cap relief package announced. "Too bad Foran's case took months to resolve, but we can't retrospectively change the cap relief for previous claims."

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’ve read numerous articles on this but none of them ever mention the most critical aspect of this. Do we get the cash to spend now or after Foran misses the required number of games? By which time our season may already be stuffed.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I’ve read numerous articles on this but none of them ever mention the most critical aspect of this. Do we get the cash to spend now or after Foran misses the required number of games? By which time our season may already be stuffed.
Just to make sure we are on the same page, the NRL doesn't give us any "cash", they sure as hell don't write out a cheque for $350k. What we do get is a $350k increase in our salary cap for the year. So we are allowed to spend up to $350k more (above the cap limit) of our own money. Luckily we can afford it, not all clubs could.

Go Dogs

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think douhei or luliua are the obvious choice for us with that extra cap space. I don’t think we could even land them.

Belmore Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Its a percentage of the players salary for that season capped at 350k.
If the player was on 150k the club doesn't get 350k, more like 50k

Player on 400k club would get 150k- 200k

Dont know the exact numbers.

Raiders got nothing for Rapana last season because they knew he was going well in rehab and would have had to sit him out a few weeks.

We should be happy to get anything tbh, to have done his shoulder that badly in that situation he must have been pretty stuffed before he even took to the field

So why did the TNUC take the field. And worse still why did the medical staff allow him to take the field

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
How does your top 30 work with this? Do we get an extra spot (31) while a replacement player is filling in for Foran?

well done

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So why did the TNUC take the field. And worse still why did the medical staff allow him to take the field
Maybe the club was thinking if he got injured he would retire?
And foran wanted the money attached to rep footy?

No real inside to the thinking here.

well done

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
How does your top 30 work with this? Do we get an extra spot (31) while a replacement player is filling in for Foran?
Once foran is back the 31st player drops out and thats them done for the season

And you can only recruit in the same position so no wingers or centres

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thought the same - let's see what happens when a Roosters or Bunnies superstar is out for 12 months.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think douhei or luliua are the obvious choice for us with that extra cap space. I don’t think we could even land them.
Leilua would have a higher price tag and is past his best.. Only concern with Douhei is injuries but he's definitely not in the Foran region as far as they are concerned so I think he is worth a gamble at a decent price

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As said before.... Tell the NRL to shove their 350k up their arses. We don't want it or need it. Fark off.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As said before.... Tell the NRL to shove their 350k up their arses. We don't want it or need it. Fark off.

Um we do want it! and how do you figure we don’t need it? What drugs are you on? We need any help we can get we haven’t even made the top 4 since 2012