Thoughts on pursuing Kayln Ponga for 2022

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn't it Pay who stated previously we need to sign a franchise player like Kayln Ponga ? I have the feeling from November this year the Dogs will make a big play for Ponga himself (if the Knights don't extend him before then). At least the Roosters and Manly should be out of this bidding war but we'd have to compete with the Broncos and others. He'd be likely to want around $1M a season also.

Dogs have recently extended a few players til the end of 2021. Seems they are focusing on a big review for the end of this season and are looking to 2022 as their main strategy (not 2021). At the board forum a couple of nights ago they confirmed they are still seeking marquee players for the right fit and right money.

What are your thoughts on Ponga ? At least he's a spine player.

JANUARY 16 2020 - 6:30PM
NRL | Knights are hoping to avoid a bidding war over Kalyn Ponga's long-term future

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/...-his-future-as-knights-play-the-waiting-game/

Dynamic Newcastle fullback Kalyn Ponga won't be pushed into making an early call on his long term future at the Knights despite severing ties with his former manager.

But Knights officials say they will be doing all they can to ensure he doesn't go on the open market in November.

Knights CEO Phil Gardner said Ponga's management resolution, which saw him officially split from agent Wayde Rushton a few weeks ago, may not necessarily bring forward negotiations for a contract upgrade and extension.

"We won't be pushing that,"he said. "KP [Ponga] and his family know where we stand on it so we have to sit tight and wait for them to come back to us. Just when that will be is a decision for them. But getting something done prior to November is obviously a big priority for us. We'd love to have something sorted by mid-season if possible."

Ponga is contracted until the end of the 2021 season and has an option in his favour for 2022 which means he can officially negotiate with rival clubs at the end of this year.

Gardner is understandably concerned at the threat a powerhouse club like the Brisbane Broncos, who have Darius Boyd coming off contract at the same time as Ponga, would pose financially if it became a free-for-all.

"He'll be one of the most sought-after players in the game, there is no doubt about that so we need to re-sign him and upgrade him," Gardner said.

"If you are looking at the clubs in the NRL if he was off contract right now, there would only be two that wouldn't be chasing him which would be Manly and the Roosters because of who they already have at fullback.

"Every other club wants him. Certainly, the Brisbane Broncos would be a huge challenge for us. They have already back-channeled crazy numbers so for us, we've just got to put our best foot forward.

"We are hoping he will come on board for 2022 and 2023 - that would be a great outcome for us and we are doing our best to get him there. That would mean potentially upgrading him this year and for 2021."

For his part, the Knights fullback is saying little about his future plans, preferring instead to put all his energies into lifting the team's prospects on the field this season.

"I'm not going to be commenting on it," he said.

"My focus is just on this year. Yeah, it gets brought up in the media a lot and I understand that but I don't stress or worry about it.

"For me, it's all about this season and doing my best for my teammates, the coach and my family."

The fact Rushton is no longer Ponga's manager is privately viewed as a positive by club officials with his father Andre set to take over his son's off-field affairs.

But Gardner still believes a key component in any discussion over the young fullback's future will centre on the success of the club.

"I think KP is happy here, he and his family is happy living here in Newcastle but he is someone who wants success, he wants to be successful," he said.

"He wants to win a premiership and that's obviously why we want him here because he gives us a better chance of achieving that.

"We need to be in a situation where he can see us winning a competition. When he can see that, I believe we can get him extended. That is what it's all about.

"It's not all about the money. It's like with Pearcey [Mitchell Pearce]. It's not all about the money with him either. He just wants to win another comp."

Asked if the possible lack of third party deals could hamper the Knights' plans, Gardner said: "Legitimate third party deals are an important part of the game, particularly for top-end players and they are certainly out there for players like KP.

"So, whoever is allowed to line them up for him, I'm sure they will be."

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think he will go back to union and become an all black.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s a no from me he is going to chasing big bucks and what’s he done at Newcastle? He shows some glimpses and does do great things but he hasn’t led them to a finals series let alone anything else.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
his highlight reel is 90% against the bottom teams and he has a bad attitude on the other side of the football. At what will be the asking price... pass

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Also a pass for me. Talent no doubt but for his chunky pay cheque there doesn’t appear to be a great ROI - something the Knights gambled on and haven’t seen an adequate return on in my view.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would sign him in a heartbeat and even give them Lochy as a return.

Ponga is a potential genuine JT clone who is at a shit club surrounded by a Maltese Terrier rapist and Klemmer..

Put him in a Blue and white jersey and slap some dog into him.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Knights can offer him the same as us so why would he want to leave the Knights. If he's leaving the Knights he's going somewhere else for dumb money (money we're not paying) or a club that can offer him more success (not us at the moment). We've also probably re-signed DWZ on fullback money. I'd 100% have him as he's a top five fullback (top three in 2018) but it doesn't like look a signing we'll make.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
no nope no way fck no, ponga and his manager will never be happy with what ever deal he gets, they will always be wanting better, kid has his ambitions mixed up with his capabilities, will be to disruptive knowing hes already said he wants to go play for the all blacks

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we couldn’t sign latrell Mitchell and still haven’t signed ado Carr. I have no hope that we will sign any franchise player. The club just seems to be passing on every decent player.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't like that he got caught up in club politics and clearly stopped trying when things were falling apart at the knights at the end of last year. That tells me his head is getting very big and he thinks he's a bit special. Reminds me of SBW back in the day.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We don't need toxic 'superstars' stinking up the dressing room.

We need to develop the superstars and blood them before they become toxic, SBW and Barba for example, their best years in the NRL were still with us form wise.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No thanks. He’s over rated if you ask me. Too much hype and it’s all gone straight to his head.

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Offer him a shit load of strawberry milkshakes..... Its a pass for me, he can be a brilliant individual but not a team player in meaning I don't rate his organisation skills...

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If we make up a top 4 team with 1.3 left in the cap then yes... Otherwise I wouldn't build around the kid.

He can be the feather in the cap.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He is rapidly taking over from Darius Boyd as my pick for the most overrated player in the NRL.

Go Dogs

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone got any idea about any decent players that are coming off contract for the club to even possibly approach for next season ?

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hard no for mine l don’t mind the attitude but he hasn’t backed it up on the field