News Stat to Fix: Bulldogs need to stop metres rot: Author Troy Whittaker

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
It was the same with Des. It's almost like we trust our last-ditch, scramble defence so much that we don't bother with defensive line speed at the play-the-ball. Continually rucking it out from our own line is a big part of why our footy has been so boring to watch for the last few years.
It is as if we're terrified that the refs will penalise us if we play like the Storm or Roosters, and stand off side in defence when we have the opposition on their line. There is very little difference between conceding the odd off side penalty, and allowing them easy metres by not defending.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It is as if we're terrified that the refs will penalise us if we play like the Storm or Roosters, and stand off side in defence when we have the opposition on their line. There is very little difference between conceding the odd off side penalty, and allowing them easy metres by not defending.
We seem cumbersome and drilled and don't have enough fluid numbers moving on the defensive line and are easily pinged by one sided refs. Old style footy with poor wrestle and our forwards aren't agile enough, mostly too small and nuggety, not dynamic runners or defenders.

They do a fantastic job for these deficiencies against other teams, who do have these subtlies of play and physique, but we need to maintain it for 80 minutes which is nye on impossible. Plus the backs don't do enough work creating off their go forward.

Both are reasons why we can rarely blow a team away. Add to that the inexperienced spine with no one leading and you have us at 12th.

You get the sense they are improving, albeit slowly, and if the form of last 7 games of 2019 is seen in Round 1 then there is a platform to work on.

They're our team and if this season is disappointing again with the same ol mistakes and selections, bench rotations hampering any decent results, then its the continual bloodbath and DD videos in TK I guess :grinning:

Keen to see how their pre-season has gone and fitness, skill level.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think most recognise that our season last year was split into 2 halves, probably more like 2/3rds and 1/3rd. We started off with a lot of very inexperienced (at NRL level) players plus new recruits, not all of whom had a full preseason with us. Defence is all about teamwork, knowing the players around you and trusting them. Undeniably the statistics for the last 1/3rd would be very different to the first 2/3rds. We all hope that with minimal disruption during the preseason and a full year of experience this year will start off where last year left off. Only 58 sleeps to go.

Go Dogs

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Read the article.

Bloke is an idiot. Our issues wasn't defence.

Stevie fucking Wonder could tell you it was our inability to score points.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Read the article.

Bloke is an idiot. Our issues wasn't defence.

Stevie fucking Wonder could tell you it was our inability to score points.
one of the reasons we couldn't score points is that we lost the battle of field position constantly and always had to bring to ball off our own line to start a new set. very hard to score a try from your own 40 m line on the 5th tackle.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
one of the reasons we couldn't score points is that we lost the battle of field position constantly and always had to bring to ball off our own line to start a new set. very hard to score a try from your own 40 m line on the 5th tackle.
So why isn't the issue with our forwards going forward? Or our long kicking game (of which we have had none since probably Bwaif).

Not saying I completely disagree with the above (there was a hint of sarcasm in my post), but scoring on average 2.3 tries a game isn't gonna win you very much.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
So why isn't the issue with our forwards going forward? Or our long kicking game (of which we have had none since probably Bwaif).

Not saying I completely disagree with the above (there was a hint of sarcasm in my post), but scoring on average 2.3 tries a game isn't gonna win you very much.
I'd say the issue is that we struggle to apply pressure both offensively and defensively and the opposition feels comfortable for way too long. Obviously there's lots of little issue that contribute to that and they all need to be addressed in various ways.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I'd say the issue is that we struggle to apply pressure both offensively and defensively and the opposition feels comfortable for way too long. Obviously there's lots of little issue that contribute to that and they all need to be addressed in various ways.
I reckon both of these comments are on the money. We have not scored enough points with an average of roughly 13 per game and it needs to be more like 15 or 16, but that has been due to a number of factors all pretty well discussed on these forums like;
  • Unsettled halve combinations and apart from Foran when fit to play not enough experienced talent controlling the game.
  • Back line strike power is another which we went part of the way fixing with the arrival of DWZ + we have some exciting prospects coming thru.
  • Field position is another obvious one because even if you have JAC or Semi, you cant always be starting your sets inside your 20 which we did a bit less towards the end of the year when we started to win the middle more.
  • Pre-Season and trials. As many have said, hopefully revised or changed to have us ready to go at the start of the season.
There is plenty more that can be added to that list like marque player recruitment and staffing etc. but we are well down the track now with the course this board and coach has set and we will see pretty quickly if we have at least picked up from where we left off in 2019.

I like the focus on building the club back up and the whole "Canterbury" feel but it also has to acknowledge that its not the 70's and 80's anymore so you cant carbon copy the Bullfrog model. Successful business's are always evolving and adapting to the times and circumstance while retaining their core values. So hopefully the Dogs continue to bring back the family feel and culture, develop and try to always keep the pick of the litter with our juniors while also not getting left behind with today's way of doing business.

I am already praying to the footy gods to start 2020 with smashing Parra in round 1, which will be a tough task. Hopefully even if we dont get the chockys we all see enough to feel excited for round 2 and the season ahead.

Last edited:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I remember when St George won the comp with Wayne Bennett at the helm. The Dragons had the highest conceded metres per game but the lowest conceded points.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I remember when St George won the comp with Wayne Bennett at the helm. The Dragons had the highest conceded metres per game but the lowest conceded points.
They were boring as fuck for premiers weren’t they

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I agree with your point, it's one stat but not the be-all end-all. If you look at the 2nd game we played Parra @ BankWest, we conceded exactly to our averages for PCM and Total Meters against, yet won the game. Compare this with Round 19, 2020 - we lose to the Roosters 20 to 12. We ran for 1533m (415PCM). The Rorter$? 1452m (378PCM).

There's games we have Lachlan Lewis chopping down backline plays, nailing centres/ second rowers forcing change overs on our goal line. Then you have the game against Manly where the same right-edge leaks reggies level tries with Okunbor/ his inside men rushing up out of position. Regardless of the meters conceded, you'll end up having to defend your goal line at least 8-10 sets per game.

It's definitely an area we need to correct, as we can't have teams marching their way down our end/ forcing us to bust our asses off to get attacking field position. The stats over the past two decades show meters gained > meters conceded leads to more Ws on the board.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who would you say are the best in defence at our club?

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who would you say are the best in defence at our club?
Going off just last season, i thought jmk was great considering his size and experience.
Jacko is always great but had a bad start to year last season which was un usual, almost like he had a shoulder problem.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going off just last season, i thought jmk was great considering his size and experience.
Jacko is always great but had a bad start to year last season which was un usual, almost like he had a shoulder problem.
stats suggest chris smith and suaso sue are up there too. interesting!

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Jacksons defence early in the season was terrible .. some rally bad misses that lead directly to tries.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If you count up the stats for the last ten games of the season (of which we won 7) you get slightly worse numbers on both stats. So we did better when we conceded metres at a higher rate. Goes to show that this stat in isolation doesn't say much.