Official A MESSAGE FROM THE BOSS

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lynne Anderson writes very well, is diplomatic and appears humble.. But please leave ...you are taking the position away from someone who can actually manage effectively. You talk about going back to the good ol days where footy was a blokes sport yet having a woman at the helm is ironic.

Having Raelene Castle as our CEO was the beginning of the end for us as a formidable club. She lay down the political correctness laws because that's all she knows, she's a generic manager and thinks all it takes to have a successful business is to apply taught theory but her lack of personal experience of the game caused her to lose confidence in decision making and she was easily manipulated by arrogant males such as Des.

I'm sorry if this sounds discriminatory but we need a man to run a man's game.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
How the fuck could they be “proactive” and “aggressive” in recruitment of other players when they had a bunch of over payed, under performing twats on the roster signed by the previous board? It’s well documented mate, have a read before spewing out your bias babel ffs.
Creative accounting, selling the club, etc. And stop believing all the crap they dribbled, this is exactly why they did it so people like you would give them the freedom to take the easiest possible route. I also did mention staff and administrators, we're still yet to fill certain positions despite them having more than enough time to do so.

Last edited:

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. It’s been months since we found out KIA was going, how can it seriously take so long to get a major sponsor? Are the board setting the bar too high?

2. How can it take so long to get membership packs out? Other clubs seem to manage ok. Supply problems? Didn’t they trot that excuse out last year?

3. Member forums on weeknights only? Are they even remotely aware of present day work patterns? Would it be so hard to have at least one on a weekend?

4. Results. Pay surely has to be on his last chance. No point winning after the realistic chance of finals has gone.

Some of These may not be considered important in the whole scheme, but are things fans see, even those that aren’t fanatics.

You can put out all the wordy emails you like, but the club just looks amateurish until you fix the obvious.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Interesting reading a lot of points on here, and it's nice that a majority are managing to have a decent debate without getting too personal ... apart from me that is ;)

Without going over what a lot of you have said already. I don't think there can be one person on here who can say that the board have done an excellent jog in every department. They simply haven't. Whether it be retention. Recruitment. Backroom staff. Management. Coaches. etc. etc. there's absolutely no doubt that the board wouldn't get a 10/10 for any of those.

The question is whether this is something we can realistically expect and / or demand? Each of those areas have been resticted / hampered for different reasons so I honestly don't think we could ever have got 10/10 for any of them anyway. Could we have done better? I'd say yes, but at the same time I don't think they've been terrible in any areas either. Happy to be corrected though .... Given the circumstances I'm relatively happy with how it's going but this is an absolutely HUGE year for the club and one all of them will be judged on.

What I will say, as said earlier, is our membership. We were last in 2019, right? Can see no way we'll be higher than last place in 2020 either. The Titans have more. Tigers and Dragons twice as many ... I can't get past this. It's absolutely embarrassing. We can argue all day long for the reasons, it doesn't matter. We're one of the biggest clubs in the NRL history wise. Don't care what anyone says. To be last saddens me and it's something I would really like to understand what the club is doing to rectify.
Why would people want to be members when the brand of footy is crap? When the board continually chat shit with the aim lower expectations with constant whining? I could go on. They club just hasn't been sold on or off the footy, so many people just aren't interested. Sure results will change that, but like you said it just shouldn't bee at the level it is right now, can't just rely on the Bulldogs brand to carry us through a tough period.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Interesting reading a lot of points on here, and it's nice that a majority are managing to have a decent debate without getting too personal ... apart from me that is ;)

Without going over what a lot of you have said already. I don't think there can be one person on here who can say that the board have done an excellent jog in every department. They simply haven't. Whether it be retention. Recruitment. Backroom staff. Management. Coaches. etc. etc. there's absolutely no doubt that the board wouldn't get a 10/10 for any of those.

The question is whether this is something we can realistically expect and / or demand? Each of those areas have been resticted / hampered for different reasons so I honestly don't think we could ever have got 10/10 for any of them anyway. Could we have done better? I'd say yes, but at the same time I don't think they've been terrible in any areas either. Happy to be corrected though .... Given the circumstances I'm relatively happy with how it's going but this is an absolutely HUGE year for the club and one all of them will be judged on.
I think the players let go pretty much all should have been. Yes, there were hard decisions in 2018/2019 but they had to made. When the back ended contracts kicked in we were a long way over the cap and had to sacrifice players that we might have otherwise kept. Personally I'm particularly happy with who we let go this year, who could argue with losing Lichaa, Fualalo, Olive, and Brown, not me anyway.

Retention and resigns, no one in their right mind would disagree with resigning DWZ and Jackson (albeit there are a few on here who plainly aren't in their right mind). IMHO giving JMK, Ogden and Okunbor another year to prove themselves was a good move. Even more to the point is who they haven't resigned past 2020, which leaves as with capacity (# of players and Cap $'s) to get very serious about next year.

Upgrades and additions, the Tass and Averillo upgrades were deserved and the signings in Stimson (I think we all have high hopes for him), Britt (not on $big, so doesn't concern me either way), Katoa (a very necessary back up hooker since we let Lichee and Brown go, plus he's better than both of them combined and costs less).

Big name signings, were never really going to happen this year as we simply didn't have the space available in the Cap. Foran's injury opened up an opportunity but the requirements are so confusing that it will take time to resolve with the NRL exactly what we can and can't do. In the interim we have open 1 spot and retained cap space to do the same as we did with DWZ and grab someone when the opportunity presents itself. That's a very smart move.

In summary, the way the Board and player retention and recruitment committee have performed is pretty remarkable given the huge pile of shyte they were handed. Me, I don't see this year as being HUGE, it's more a year of developing the young guys from last year that showed promise but, as to be expected, were inconsistent. This is the year for Cogger, RFM, Harper, Lewis, JMK, Meaney, Okunbor, and Wakeham to take their chances and prove themselves to be NRL worthy players. For me 2021 is the huge year, the players that deserve to stay will still be here and those that don't won't. Plus there are around 160 players off contract this year and we have the space to accomodate those that fit what we need.

For me nothing has changed since the last Board vote, the only true objective is 2021 and the steps taken since then have all pointed in the right direction to achieving that timetable.

Go Dogs

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Why would people want to be members when the brand of footy is crap? When the board continually chat shit with the aim lower expectations with constant whining? I could go on. They club just hasn't been sold on or off the footy, so many people just aren't interested. Sure results will change that, but like you said it just shouldn't bee at the level it is right now, can't just rely on the Bulldogs brand to carry us through a tough period.
Loyalty. If you really care about the club you support it in good times and bad.

That doesn’t mean mistakes aren’t made and shouldn’t be learned from but the many who simply shit-can the club and especially those who don’t actually back up their bleating with anything coherent are the ones who need to take a look at themselves if they also call themselves fans.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
1. It’s been months since we found out KIA was going, how can it seriously take so long to get a major sponsor? Are the board setting the bar too high?
Understanding how companies marketing budgets work is important. Most Australian companies have a June Financial year End, so their marketing budgets for the following year are set in March/April, they simply don't have a spare $1m or so in funds lying around waiting for us to come and ask. International companies have a December Financial year End, so their marketing budgets are set in September/October so even there there's a slim chance we could have prepared a decent proposal before their budget was signed off. Signing major sponsors at that value takes many months, sometimes years of hard work.

2. How can it take so long to get membership packs out? Other clubs seem to manage ok. Supply problems? Didn’t they trot that excuse out last year?
Without knowing the issues it's hard to make a call on this, except the lack of a major (front of jumper) sponsor may well have been a big determining factor. It's hard to sell a company on being a sponsor for the year when a large mount of the gear has already gone out without their name/logo on it. If it was me I would have done exactly what they have, held off as long as I could whilst continuing to work hard on signing a front of jumper advertiser. Then, when the deadline is reached, the gear simply has to go out without it.

3. Member forums on weeknights only? Are they even remotely aware of present day work patterns? Would it be so hard to have at least one on a weekend?
You're right about "present day work patterns", a lot of people work on weekends and/or have family commitments so there's no perfect time. Like most it's very difficult for me to get there at 6pm on a weeknight, but it's important enough for me to make the extra effort.

4. Results. Pay surely has to be on his last chance. No point winning after the realistic chance of finals has gone.
There are plenty worse coaches in the NRL with much better teams and much poorer results. Considering the senior players let go and the talent left at his disposal not finishing last in 2018 was a flat out miracle. Finishing =11th in 2019 and 1 win from the 8 was almost as much of a miracle. Like every Bulldogs supporter I'm never going to be satisfied without a premiership, but I'm realistic enough to realise that it doesn't happen overnight.

Some of These may not be considered important in the whole scheme, but are things fans see, even those that aren’t fanatics.
Having a prime advertiser is important, but they don't just fall in your lap, it takes lots of work and time. No business is ever going to hand over $1m or so without doing their due diligence and following their processes to the letter. I'm more than happy to wait for the right sponsor at the right value rather than sell ourselves short.

You can put out all the wordy emails you like, but the club just looks amateurish until you fix the obvious.
There is no win here, people would complain if there were no emails and no members' forums. Whinge about there being no communication of what is happening. If they waited until everything was perfect in everyones' eyes there would never be any emails or members' forums, because no one is ever satisfied, every time.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Loyalty. If you really care about the club you support it in good times and bad.

That doesn’t mean mistakes aren’t made and shouldn’t be learned from but the many who simply shit-can the club and especially those who don’t actually back up their bleating with anything coherent are the ones who need to take a look at themselves if they also call themselves fans.
And that's exactly my point, loyalty. They're taking advantage of the loyalty some have and some of you are lapping it up. The club needs to get with the times.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The board has done a decent job so far but there’s nothing they have done that makes you sit back and go wow. The focus they have done improving junior development is probably the biggest feather in their cap. A part from that they have just done the status quo of what you’d expect a normal board to do.

It’s going to be very interesting to see what they do if Pay puts them in a corner early next season with a poor start. We will find out exactly what the board are made of.
To be honest I don’t think dean will see next year if things don’t go well this season
He is in the hot seat come round 1 regarding results and selections in general
The first 10 games are critical

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
To be honest I don’t think dean will see next year if things don’t go well this season
He is in the hot seat come round 1 regarding results and selections in general
The first 10 games are critical
Pay needs a good season more then anyone else in the club they jury is still out on him.

He can silence a lot of critics next year but he could also be lining up at Centrelink.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
And that's exactly my point, loyalty. They're taking advantage of the loyalty some have and some of you are lapping it up. The club needs to get with the times.
I disagree. I’ve seen no evidence of them ‘taking advantage’ of anything. I’m not lapping anything up and am critical where it’s due. For me they have another term to get it right otherwise they’re out on their arse. But loyalty is a two-way street and I’m giving them mine - and their chance to prove that 4 years provides opportunity to get us back to where we belong that 2 years never could - especially with the mess they walked into. And that’s my beef with the bleaters - refusal to acknowledge that miracles don’t happen overnight.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I disagree. I’ve seen no evidence of them ‘taking advantage’ of anything. I’m not lapping anything up and am critical where it’s due. For me they have another term to get it right otherwise they’re out on their arse. But loyalty is a two-way street and I’m giving them mine - and their chance to prove that 4 years provides opportunity to get us back to where we belong that 2 years never could - especially with the mess they walked into. And that’s my beef with the bleaters - refusal to acknowledge that miracles don’t happen overnight.
It's been two years, hardly "overnight".

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It's been two years, hardly "overnight".
Given what they inherited it's not far off. Anyway - we both have our views and I guess we'll see how it plays out. Cheers (to all of you :-))

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for that.

re: mates - assume you're referring to P. Mortimer and J. Thomas. They were a bit left-field appointment wise but it's like trying to sell your car with dents on it - how do you attract top playing and admin talent when you've still got one leg in a hole?
I suspect the shape of the board running for election in 2022 will look different ie: Lynne might retire feeling her job is done if they get the next two years right. Her winning two leadership awards must say something about her management style. What happened at the Titans is far beyond her (see below).

re: squad strengthening - in my view we have to see what happens for 2021 before judgement can be passed. With ~10% of the cap sitting on the sideline for at least half of 2020 it's still a problem. No excuses for 2021 and beyond.

re: with the above don't we need more time? As I've said many times on here, this board needs two terms to have turned the ship around and set the right course. If they don't deliver obvious benefits in the next two years then of course it will be time for them to go.

Memberships are largely down to the 'fans' - so part on field results and part loyalty no matter what. Yes, the club can improve the way it communicates, sells and renews memberships - definitely - and I'm providing this feedback to them.

re: Titans - it's an important strip from Brisbane down through Northern NSW - but maybe the game is better served by a second Brisbane team or elsewhere in Queensland.
The Suns have proved the same in the AFL - it's a holiday town and locals just don't seem to get behind it enough to make it a commercial success. Players who go there seem to adapt to the lifestyle and for likely a number of reasons, it just doesn't work - Giants, Seagulls, Gladiators, Chargers, Titans - you can't polish a turd.
Yep fair enough too. I like the way u answer people dinkum dog.
U see where a poster is coming from and toss up different views as well.
Instead of the name calling bull crap that i often recieve.
Yes i have doughts but im sure everyone has something there worried about,
Good to see someone relaying concerns back to the club in a respectful manner, good on ya.
I suppose my worry with lyn is she might be too nice, and not as ruthless as some of the succesful clubs leaders.
And keep on to them about memberships. There hard for us average jo blows to get if where not wizzes on the computer.
Just a thought for the future.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yep fair enough too. I like the way u answer people dinkum dog.
U see where a poster is coming from and toss up different views as well.
Instead of the name calling bull crap that i often recieve.
Yes i have doughts but im sure everyone has something there worried about,
Good to see someone relaying concerns back to the club in a respectful manner, good on ya.
I suppose my worry with lyn is she might be too nice, and not as ruthless as some of the succesful clubs leaders.
And keep on to them about memberships. There hard for us average jo blows to get if where not wizzes on the computer.
Just a thought for the future.
Cheers @Straight18 - we all have our views and we're all entitled to them. I'm all up for debate as long as it's constructive and doesn't descend into stupidity as you pointed out.
Yes, I've had a go at some posters on here and make silly videos every now and then but I never try to make it personal - that's pointless.
If the forum as a whole keeps the bar higher we're all better off because at the end of the day we're all on the same team - we love the Dogs and we want them to succeed.

There's no question there's still a bunch of work to do for the club - and if you speak to any board member or candidate they'll tell you the same thing.
Definitely the Membership team and process need improvement - both online and by phone it's far from perfect. I will continue to tell them that.
As for Lynne - she has Bullfrog in the blood so she's no pushover. I get the feeling her tenure as Chair is a bit of a passion project - she wants to fix the club she was raised in before she hands over the baton to someone else.
The next two years will tell us everything we need to know about the success of that. So far I haven't seen major red flags as to the direction it's heading.

Banned
Reaction score
At the end of the day, what with all our differing opinions, lets not forget one thing.
We ALL want to see OUR side winning again, and regularly, hopefully with an entertaining style.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay needs a good season more then anyone else in the club they jury is still out on him.

He can silence a lot of critics next year but he could also be lining up at Centrelink.
Our club has been more than fair regarding Pay
We gave him a shot at being at top grade coach and extended a contract
But from this point it’s all fair game,results and improvement is a must
If not like you said get in that line

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
lack of major sponsor is a concern we r the bulldogs not some two bit park footy team

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All will be revealed soon.. Its been kept hush hush.. But i can exclusively reveal that alot of work is being done to organise a modernised 2020 version of the Belmore Multicultural days ..