Official A MESSAGE FROM THE BOSS

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
On the membership side of things, ive been trying to sign me and my family up all morning. That website is filled with errors, confirmation emails that wont etc.

Theres probally a few people who tried to join then gave up out of frustration
That’s really poor.
The staff are back on Monday.
Might be best to call and give your feedback on this experience and get them to do it over the phone.
Regardless it needs to improve and I’m certainly passing that feedback along.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: bunch whinging bland crumpets
Who? I’m very positive on the club and its direction. That doesn’t mean there won’t be mistakes made that can’t be learned from.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Pesky work. Damn having to earn a living - don't they know who you think you are??
Look forward to hearing your thoughts on why 'reset' is not an appropriate word.
It's fucking outrageous, and i'm only doing the bare minimum these days otherwise I'll go too crazy and shit ffs.

Basically this goes back to my argument I've been putting forward for a while, this board is just constantly talking smack to buy time. First it was a "rebuild" but now it's like "lol jokes it was a reset and now we're going to lay the foundations". It's all fucking bs.

This board hasn't done anything remarkable, all they've done is run some contracts out and release a few players and waited for our cap to clear, anybody in that field could've done that ffs. They've just sat back and taken the low risk route and are waiting for things to unfold until they're forced to be more aggressive and proactive.

They haven't been proactive in recruiting highly sought after staff or administrators, they haven't been aggressive with recruitment and retention, we've lost one of the richest deals and are yet to announce a new major sponsor in their place, our memberships are diabolical, etc.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It's fucking outrageous, and i'm only doing the bare minimum these days otherwise I'll go too crazy and shit ffs.

Basically this goes back to my argument I've been putting forward for a while, this board is just constantly talking smack to buy time. First it was a "rebuild" but now it's like "lol jokes it was a reset and now we're going to lay the foundations". It's all fucking bs.

This board hasn't done anything remarkable, all they've done is run some contracts out and release a few players and waited for our cap to clear, anybody in that field could've done that ffs. They've just sat back and taken the low risk route and are waiting for things to unfold until they're forced to be more aggressive and proactive.

They haven't been proactive in recruiting highly sought after staff or administrators, they haven't been aggressive with recruitment and retention, we've lost one of the richest deals and are yet to announce a new major sponsor in their place, our memberships are diabolical, etc.
I pity the entitled. The world owes you, let's not kid anyone.
Yes I've heard this argument before and whilst there's some merit, how would you have done it differently? I rarely get answers to that specific question.

- Rebuild/Reset - the same thing
- Remarkable - I've sat on two boards in my career and wouldn't say anything done was 'remarkable' either. Being a Director is nothing more than responsible management of a business to its shareholders - repair damage, set a different course, ensure the exec team work within guidelines - there's no wand and no praise.
- 'Waited' for the cap to clear - what other choice was there with the huge salaries being paid on previously agreed contracts? Pretty sure you can't 'front end' those contracts under NRL rules and players aren't going to walk unless they get the same/more elsewhere.
- Aggressive with retention - the cap problem has not allowed us to be super aggressive. As well as letting go a number of players we've recruited decently in the last two years (OK, not 'marquees' - but look where that got us with Woods and Foran).
- Highly Sought - given the mess of 2018 and probably 2019 - who'd want to come onboard? Only people who care about the club, not 'professional directors' who sit on multiple boards. That might come later.
- If anything I get the feeling they're setting a platform for the 2022 election - cap in order, squad rebuilt, governance framework built, ready for a new team to take over. That would be success in my view.
- Yes, the major sponsor is gone, but how (apart from perhaps Mad Monday) is that the club's fault? KIA elected to take their money to Brisbane because they see better bang for buck in whatever data in their business that tells them that. No doubt the directors are eagerly engaging potential new sponsors - it's bloody hard getting money out of advertisers today - ask anyone who seeks it on any platform apart from Facebook and Google. TV and newspapers are dead and once upon a time they printed money. I hope they're talking to some digital businesses such as ring.com, SimpliSafe and others rather than just the more 'traditional' footy team sponsors.

So for this board to not be called 'remarkable' to me means they're doing their job - which if the previous mob had done theirs, we probably never would've ended up where we did.
I take on board your comments - but I'd REALLY like to hear how and what you would have done specifically differently.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: they have done remarkable since in control . Everyone complaining can go and get crumpets and eat them plain you sooks. A kebab with no sauce isn’t a kebab no what I mean! By the end of the year this will be worth it. Major sponsor to be announce soon
Not even margarine on the crumpets???

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I pity the entitled. The world owes you, let's not kid anyone.
Yes I've heard this argument before and whilst there's some merit, how would you have done it differently? I rarely get answers to that specific question.

- Rebuild/Reset - the same thing
- Remarkable - I've sat on two boards in my career and wouldn't say anything done was 'remarkable' either. Being a Director is nothing more than responsible management of a business to its shareholders - repair damage, set a different course, ensure the exec team work within guidelines - there's no wand and no praise.
- 'Waited' for the cap to clear - what other choice was there with the huge salaries being paid on previously agreed contracts? Pretty sure you can't 'front end' those contracts under NRL rules and players aren't going to walk unless they get the same/more elsewhere.
- Aggressive with retention - the cap problem has not allowed us to be super aggressive. As well as letting go a number of players we've recruited decently in the last two years (OK, not 'marquees' - but look where that got us with Woods and Foran).
- Highly Sought - given the mess of 2018 and probably 2019 - who'd want to come onboard? Only people who care about the club, not 'professional directors' who sit on multiple boards. That might come later.
- If anything I get the feeling they're setting a platform for the 2022 election - cap in order, squad rebuilt, governance framework built, ready for a new team to take over. That would be success in my view.
- Yes, the major sponsor is gone, but how (apart from perhaps Mad Monday) is that the club's fault? KIA elected to take their money to Brisbane because they see better bang for buck in whatever data in their business that tells them that. No doubt the directors are eagerly engaging potential new sponsors - it's bloody hard getting money out of advertisers today - ask anyone who seeks it on any platform apart from Facebook and Google. TV and newspapers are dead and once upon a time they printed money. I hope they're talking to some digital businesses such as ring.com, SimpliSafe and others rather than just the more 'traditional' footy team sponsors.

So for this board to not be called 'remarkable' to me means they're doing their job - which if the previous mob had done theirs, we probably never would've ended up where we did.
I take on board your comments - but I'd REALLY like to hear how and what you would have done specifically differently.
DD some reasons why...

I've been told some fans still waiting on xmas present membership packs. They are ropable. They pass that kind of feedback to friends and family.

As regards membership numbers. We really only have diehards attending, or interested, atm.

Unfortunately less and less fans want to commit until they see something on the field to get excited about.

We really do need some x factor players and also play attractive footy that firstly attracts kids and new fans and secondly sponsors and fans want to be enthused about.

It's taking a lot longer than most thought and that's a negative.

We just have to ride it out.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Player recruitment and sponsorship I'm quite understanding on as these things take time. I think for both of these we'lll come out on top.

However, I honestly didn't realise how bad our membership numbers are. That's absolutely embarrassing for a club of our stature. People can say all they like about having a winning team etc etc. the fans are the blood of the team. If the fans aren't turning up and showing their loyalty how can the club function?

I'd really like to see how they're approaching this. Just waiting for better performances on the pitch isn't enough.
This all changes by getting back to winning ways (winning is everything). The next two years are going to show us everything we need to know about the board and club (I agree the last two years were a rebuild period, we're only half way out - recruitment is so important now). Everyone knows my thoughts on recruitment but however we go about it we need to bring in players because our team isn't good enough to be in the eight and we're expected to do much worse. If we wait around doing nothing in recruitment, surely they can't do this - the longer we wait the less available you can't argue that, it's more likely we move down then up as other teams are strengthening, I mean actually bringing in players that're going to make a difference -e.g. Cowboys, or had a poor season the prior year even tho on paper they're much better than us - Dragons, who actually thrashed us both times. It's more likely we get the Wooden Spoon than make the eight. That's scary to me. Recruitment wise we don't have anything to be excited for this year or next (which I personally can not wrap my head around) - as it stands.

Last edited:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
DD some reasons why...

I've been told some fans still waiting on xmas present membership packs. They are ropable. They pass that kind of feedback to friends and family.

As regards membership numbers. We really only have diehards attending, or interested, atm.

Unfortunately less and less fans want to commit until they see something on the field to get excited about.

We really do need some x factor players and also play attractive footy that firstly attracts kids and new fans and secondly sponsors and fans want to be enthused about.

The club told members months ago the packs would arrive early to mid January.
I’m not sure what you mean by it’s taking longer than thought to sign X factor (marquee) players? It’s exactly in line with what the club said years ago. They weren’t saying it to be negative or for the fun of it, it was a fact

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The club told members months ago the packs would arrive early to mid January.
I’m not sure what you mean by it’s taking longer than thought to sign X factor (marquee) players? It’s exactly in line with what the club said years ago. They weren’t saying it to be negative or for the fun of it, it was a fact
I purchased my membership very early on and was told January as well
My only concern is seeing our team win games from the get go

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I purchased my membership very early on and was told January as well
My only concern is seeing our team win games from the get go
I hope we start well. That’s the key for sure. I just found the email confirming about the members packs being delivered in January

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s quite pathetic isn’t it mate. I know what you’re saying Spoonman but in the not too distant past fans wouldn’t care about crap like the website, a logo on the jersey or where they sit etc, they just came because they love the bulldogs and want to SUPPORT them
It’s not pathetic. It’s how you show that you’re not happy with the way things are being run.

It’s pretty easy. Be liked by many, show the plan moving forward and if it looks successful and people warm up to it, you get the memberships. Doesn’t necessarily mean you have to win premierships

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope we start well. That’s the key for sure. I just found the email confirming about the members packs being delivered in January
The membership package is really a non event in comparison to other challenges that we are facing as a club in general
I have attended all our games through this rough patch which hasn’t been much fun at times
Let’s just hope we have turned the corner for the good of this great club.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
It’s not pathetic. It’s how you show that you’re not happy with the way things are being run.

It’s pretty easy. Be liked by many, show the plan moving forward and if it looks successful and people warm up to it, you get the memberships. Doesn’t necessarily mean you have to win premierships
I just don’t see how sulking will change anything. What would you have done differently since this salary cap drama?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
DD some reasons why...

It’s pretty clear the membership team and processes have some deficiencies - but that’s not a board issue - that’s an exec team issue. Still, it should change and feedback to the club on this will help.

Yes, membership and crowds in general are definitely linked somewhat to on field results - but there’s still plenty of ‘supporters’ who never convert to members. That alone would help us get the numbers up.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just don’t see how sulking will change anything. What would you have done differently since this salary cap drama?
You call it sulking, Nasheed calls it crumpet eating.
I call it voting with brains. We can’t rock up and change things. We can try to be on the board but it’s who you know, not what. That’s how it works.
So if the only way by not showing faith in the board is not reapplying for membership, then fair call. They have a reason.
I’m still a member. Just not a fully fledged one like I used to be. Two more years before I make a decision whether to be back to full or remove it all together if a failure of a board they become. Without the memberships, that’s one part of their job they are failing, hence more power to another ticket. That’s how you TRY to get the outcome you would like.

Want me to teach you ABCs too??

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
You call it sulking, Nasheed calls it crumpet eating.
I call it voting with brains. We can’t rock up and change things. We can try to be on the board but it’s who you know, not what. That’s how it works.
So if the only way by not showing faith in the board is not reapplying for membership, then fair call. They have a reason.
I’m still a member. Just not a fully fledged one like I used to be. Two more years before I make a decision whether to be back to full or remove it all together if a failure of a board they become. Without the memberships, that’s one part of their job they are failing, hence more power to another ticket. That’s how you TRY to get the outcome you would like.

Want me to teach you ABCs too??
What do you do if you don’t like the political party that are in?
Tell them why you aren’t happy and vote for someone else. The club aren’t mind readers and people I have spoken to just think it’s only due to the fact we aren’t winning

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It’s pretty clear the membership team and processes have some deficiencies - but that’s not a board issue - that’s an exec team issue. Still, it should change and feedback to the club on this will help.

Yes, membership and crowds in general are definitely linked somewhat to on field results - but there’s still plenty of ‘supporters’ who never convert to members. That alone would help us get the numbers up.
That appears the core issue..turning fans into members. Might be the Exec responsibility for sure but the Club as a whole wears the flack.

I know they announced the packs for January arrival but many are bought as xmas presents and its a problem we've had before. It causes some fans to not bother buying again cos they want to present a gift not a piece of paper :grinning:

A small thing but a constant issue like that, that is not fixed, fans lose faith.

I'm just searching for valid reasons for our poor numbers is all. It's a worry atm but get a bunch of exciting players (or the ones we have play outa their skin :grinning:, a winning entertaining team and they'll be back on board.

It's more growing the base we have to work on. You know I reckon we need some x factor, flair, points.

All coming you say. I hear ya.