Keiran Foran

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought it got tested out last year when Rapana got injured and Bailey Simonsen was the replacement. Simonsen ended up playing the whole year even when Rapana returned.
Canberra got nothing Rapana came back a few weeks to early.

SLushY

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Realistically from what’s available what halve is worth picking up at that 350k mark

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Realistically from what’s available what halve is worth picking up at that 350k mark
Not many that I can think of. Be nice if it could be used to upgrade the likes of Wakeham/Averillo younger guys to entice them to stay.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
As per last year we do have 1 spot free and up to 5% of the cap, around $480k, so if there was someone suitable available we could spend up to $830k. That's this year with only $480k included in the cap and $350k as the Foran replacement. Since we have cap space available next year (2021) and following years we could sign someone on up to $830k per year for 1, 2, 3 or even 4 years.

Money isn't the issue, (once the NRL approves the $350k) it's finding someone suitable that is the task.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
As per last year we do have 1 spot free and up to 5% of the cap, around $480k, so if there was someone suitable available we could spend up to $830k. That's this year with only $480k included in the cap and $350k as the Foran replacement. Since we have cap space available next year (2021) and following years we could sign someone on up to $830k per year for 1, 2, 3 or even 4 years.

Money isn't the issue, (once the NRL approves the $350k) it's finding someone suitable that is the task.

Go Dogs
I'm not sure you can add any free cap space onto the $350k from the wording of the rule it looks like you get a extra roster spot and you can only spend up to $350k on that player and they have to be a "like for like" position of the injured player.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but that is what it sounds like to me.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not sure you can add any free cap space onto the $350k from the wording of the rule it looks like you get a extra roster spot and you can only spend up to $350k on that player and they have to be a "like for like" position of the injured player.
Maybe I'm reading it wrong but that is what it sounds like to me.
So many ways to read it, my view is that the $350k is for the 12 weeks (or so) that the injured player is unavailable. Then after the 12 weeks the replacement player can be paid whatever his contract says, which is of course included in the cap. So in my example above he gets $350k for Rounds 1 to 12 then $480k for the rest of the season, being 14 rounds plus Finals if it happens. Not out of proportion, around $30k a game with a couple of Finals included.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So many ways to read it, my view is that the $350k is for the 12 weeks (or so) that the injured player is unavailable. Then after the 12 weeks the replacement player can be paid whatever his contract says, which is of course included in the cap. So in my example above he gets $350k for Rounds 1 to 12 then $480k for the rest of the season, being 14 rounds plus Finals if it happens. Not out of proportion, around $30k a game with a couple of Finals included.

Go Dogs
Doing a but more digging I found this -

Key points of the proposal include:

• Clubs to receive a salary cap exemption for the pro-rata value of the injured player’s contract, up to a maximum of $350,000;
  • There is no limit on the number of players from each club entitled to salary cap relief if they suffer a long term injury in a representative match;
  • If the club has a place left in their Top 30 squad, the injured player must be ruled out for a minimum of 12 matches and cannot make an early return, and;
  • If the club does not have a roster spot left, they can sign a 31st player but the injured player must be ruled out for the season.
It sounds even less doubtful you can add the extra cap space onto the injury replacement player.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/22...eive-salary-cap-relief-for-injured-rep-stars/

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Key points of the proposal include:

• Clubs to receive a salary cap exemption for the pro-rata value of the injured player’s contract, up to a maximum of $350,000;
  • There is no limit on the number of players from each club entitled to salary cap relief if they suffer a long term injury in a representative match;
  • If the club has a place left in their Top 30 squad, the injured player must be ruled out for a minimum of 12 matches and cannot make an early return, and;
  • If the club does not have a roster spot left, they can sign a 31st player but the injured player must be ruled out for the season.
It sounds even less doubtful you can add the extra cap space onto the injury replacement player.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/22...eive-salary-cap-relief-for-injured-rep-stars/

Thanks for sharing @Spoonman84 .. I don't understand the relevance of the bold points.
For instance, if the squad was final before the player was injured, but player sustained a non-season ending injury, player must be ruled out for the season .. else no cap exemption?
Sounds premeditated ??

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing @Spoonman84 .. I don't understand the relevance of the bold points.
For instance, if the squad was final before the player was injured, but player sustained a non-season ending injury, player must be ruled out for the season .. else no cap exemption?
Sounds premeditated ??
Your guess is as good as mine it's clear as mud.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Key points of the proposal include:Clubs to receive a salary cap exemption for the pro-rata value of the injured player’s contract, up to a maximum of $350,000;
That's not how I read it, we have a spot left in our 30 (it's 29 including Foran). Assuming Foran is ruled out for 12 matches then we get $350k to sign a player (to replace Foran) for those 12 matches. At the end of the 12 matches Foran comes back and his replacement player can stay with us as we then have 30 players. The only difference past the 12 matches is that the "replacement" player's salary is included in our cap. It appears as though, same as last year, we have left 1 spot and around 5% cap space free (that's how we squeezed in DWZ).

The last point is only relevant if we had 30 players, but we don't, so it's not.

Another way of looking at it, we sign Foran's replacement for Rounds 1 to 12 for $350k and that's contract #1 registered with the NRL so we can play him, but not included in the cap. Then there is contract #2 that starts at Round 13 for, say, $480k that is included in the cap. It's the same as signing a player for the rest of the season before the 30th June deadline, like we did with DWZ last year. We play our round 13 on 8th June, so well before the 30th June deadline.

Go Dogs

A

Alexander the Great

are the club allowed to use the $350k to top up current players? do we have* to use them money on the extra player?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's not how I read it, we have a spot left in our 30 (it's 29 including Foran). Assuming Foran is ruled out for 12 matches then we get $350k to sign a player (to replace Foran) for those 12 matches. At the end of the 12 matches Foran comes back and his replacement player can stay with us as we then have 30 players. The only difference past the 12 matches is that the "replacement" player's salary is included in our cap. It appears as though, same as last year, we have left 1 spot and around 5% cap space free (that's how we squeezed in DWZ).

The last point is only relevant if we had 30 players, but we don't, so it's not.

Another way of looking at it, we sign Foran's replacement for Rounds 1 to 12 for $350k and that's contract #1 registered with the NRL so we can play him, but not included in the cap. Then there is contract #2 that starts at Round 13 for, say, $480k that is included in the cap. It's the same as signing a player for the rest of the season before the 30th June deadline, like we did with DWZ last year. We play our round 13 on 8th June, so well before the 30th June deadline.

Go Dogs
Yeah I understand where you are coming from but I really don’t think it will be allowed. I’m still thinking it will be $350k maximum on the replacement for the entire season and you can’t top it up with spare cap room. I guess we will wait and see what happens.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
are the club allowed to use the $350k to top up current players? do we have* to use them money on the extra player?
It reads as though we do. We might be able to "promote" someone from outside the 30, say, a development player. But I don't believe that that would satisfy the NRL as being a "suitable replacement" for Foran.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah I understand where you are coming from but I really don’t think it will be allowed. I’m still thinking it will be $350k maximum on the replacement for the entire season and you can’t top it up with spare cap room. I guess we will wait and see what happens.
OK let's say we recruit one player for just the first 12 rounds, pay him $350k outside the cap and then we let him go on his merry way. In the interim we find another player, to make up our 30, sign him before 30th June and he plays from round 13 onwards. That would be OK, yes?

I don't see the difference between the "2 player strategy" above and combining the same strategy into the 1 player, exactly the same effect.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK let's say we recruit one player for just the first 12 rounds, pay him $350k outside the cap and then we let him go on his merry way. In the interim we find another player, to make up our 30, sign him before 30th June and he plays from round 13 onwards. That would be OK, yes?

I don't see the difference between the "2 player strategy" above and combining the same strategy into the 1 player, exactly the same effect.

Go Dogs
I completely understand what you are saying I just don't think the NRL will allow it they say $350k max for the entire season on the replacement. You are effectively paying him double that and I cant see it getting approved.

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Could you simply write a contract for the first 12 rounds? Then write a new contract for whatever term the club and mystery half agree to.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless of course you are the rabbits or the roosters.
It reads as though we do. We might be able to "promote" someone from outside the 30, say, a development player. But I don't believe that that would satisfy the NRL as being a "suitable replacement" for Foran.

Go Dogs