Bush Fires

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
What gives you both that opinion about Morrison? Not scoffing at your opinions, I am interested in your perspectives. Personally I think it's all an act. He's trying to play the Trump populism card and appear to be a man of the people, but he tries too hard. ScoMo? Come on. If he was trying any harder to appeal to the youth, he'd be walking around with a baseball cap on backwards. I think if he was more of a genuine bloke, he'd show a bit more emotion at times like this, spooked or not. I personally can't stand Tony Abbott, but I'll give him some credit.....his firefighting efforts, his lifeguard stuff. As much as I disagree with him on almost everything, I can see elements of his personality which make me thiuk he is trying to do good as misguided as I personally believe many of his views to be. I can't stand many things about him, but I think he is more genuine than Morrison. At least I have a clearer understanding of what he believes in. ScoMo is just too....rehearsed. I think like her or not, Gillard is pretty much what you see is what you get.....Albo too. Shorten and ScoMo, not so much.
If you watch him at the cricket or footy, he's very much a bloke's bloke to the point of looking stupid. I'm sure his PR people also told him to be a bloke's bloke, but I'm pretty sure he already was that from the start.

This is reinforced with the stupid things he's done the last few weeks which just show no ability to act or be smart about PR.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I always found Abbott extremely genuine and to be an awesome aussie bloke with his lifeguard and firefighting volunteering. I don't offer that opinion often though because it seems 99% of everyone else absolutely hates/hated him.

ScoMo just comes across as a daggy Dad to me. That's what makes him genuine to me.
Lol daggy dad....I can kinda see that.....but I wonder if it's just an angle with him. As I said, I am one of those people who doesn't like Abbott, but I do think he sincerely believes what he says he believes....and I can appreciate when he does something I see as genuinely good.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
It would be interesting if someone could do a chronology of the bush fires versus Morrison going to Hawaii. However my memory was that he went to Hawaii before shit really got crazy. Yes there were fires, but it wasn't at that stage a national emergency (that's my recollection but I could be wrong).

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
If you watch him at the cricket or footy, he's very much a bloke's bloke to the point of looking stupid. I'm sure his PR people also told him to be a bloke's bloke, but I'm pretty sure he already was that from the start.

This is reinforced with the stupid things he's done the last few weeks which just show no ability to act or be smart about PR.
I think he has a very good sense for PR.....the criticism over the handling of the fire situation just has him uncharacteristically rattled. He reminds me more of w weird alien who is trtying to study and duplicate human behavioiur.....sometimes, he looks like he's pretty close to nailing it and then occasionally he will do things which just make you think - this dude's a fucking alien :P

Interesting perspectives though.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I always found Abbott extremely genuine and to be an awesome aussie bloke with his lifeguard and firefighting volunteering. I don't offer that opinion often though because it seems 99% of everyone else absolutely hates/hated him.

ScoMo just comes across as a daggy Dad to me. That's what makes him genuine to me.
I don't like Abbott and I don't like ScoMo but I think both are genuine to a fault. I think they both put their own beliefs and thoughts ahead of everything else. That's why they both say and do such stupid things. Leyonhjelm is another one but he's even worse with it. A friend posted the other day about how tragic the fires are and he replied saying that only a small part of Australia is burning. Then when called out for bad timing he attacked the people who called him out. That guy has no PR management skills whatsoever.

Shorten and Turnbull are the opposite. I think they both put PR ahead of everything else.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It would be interesting if someone could do a chronology of the bush fires versus Morrison going to Hawaii. However my memory was that he went to Hawaii before shit really got crazy. Yes there were fires, but it wasn't at that stage a national emergency (that's my recollection but I could be wrong).
He went on Holiday on Monday 16th December which was when the fires were getting pretty bad. He called 2GB on Friday 20th December saying that he was returning immediately after it was announced that two fire fighters died.

The NSW state of emergency was originally declared on 12th November, a full month before he went on holiday, then the NSW and Victoria State of Emergency declared on 19th December, 3 days after he went on holiday.

I'm pretty sure the worst fires didn't happen until he went on holiday which is a bit slack, blaming him for not having foresight. But there still were major fires raging and he went on holiday.

I think the main issue was that while he was on holiday in Hawaii, his office made a statement saying that he wasn't on holiday in Hawaii. In fact, they said that he was in NZ handling an important matter and working on the fire situation remotely.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He went on Holiday on Monday 16th December which was when the fires were getting pretty bad. He called 2GB on Friday 20th December saying that he was returning immediately after it was announced that two fire fighters died.

The NSW state of emergency was originally declared on 12th November, a full month before he went on holiday, then the NSW and Victoria State of Emergency declared on 19th December, 3 days after he went on holiday.

I'm pretty sure the worst fires didn't happen until he went on holiday which is a bit slack, blaming him for not having foresight. But there still were major fires raging and he went on holiday.

I think the main issue was that while he was on holiday in Hawaii, his office made a statement saying that he wasn't on holiday in Hawaii. In fact, they said that he was in NZ handling an important matter and working on the fire situation remotely.
I agree the lying from his office was the main issue. He’s a very nice guy, has a big heart, bit of a nerd and tries to fit in. His wife is lovely. He comes across as arrogant, especially when he gets his back up. He needs to learn to differentiate between how he reacts to typical labor whingeing during question time and how he responds to the public and journalists

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
https://www.news.com.au/national/ru...y/news-story/d89c268a63385f6afb8f78171457dfa3

It’s back to square one for Barnaby Joyce’s wild theories about what — or who — contributed to Australia’s bushfire crisis.

The former Nationals leader and one-time deputy PM has been vocal about what he calls “green caveats” — basically red tape he believes inhibited the ability of firefighters to hazard reduction burn prior to this season’s bushfires.

His theory is that fuel was allowed to build up in bushland because environmental groups were making it difficult for firefighters to conduct annual burn-offs.

He told Sunrise this morning: “I believe, and this is my opinion, there are too many caveats that have been placed on people, let’s call them ‘green caveats’, that impede people’s capacities to fight fires.”

It was an opinion the boss of the NSW Rural Fire Service was quick to shut down.

Shane Fitzsimmons told the program that while hazard reduction burning is part of a “really complex argument”, “environmental clearances are invariably not our problem with hazard reduction burning”.

“Our biggest challenge with hazard reduction is the weather and the windows available to do it safely and effectively,” Mr Fitzsimmons said.

“Sure, there’s environmental and other checks to go through but we streamline those. There’s special legislation to give us clearance and to cut through what would otherwise be a very complex environment.”

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing was cherry picked.

I simply had 2 seconds of thought and decided most reasonable people would probably use area burned and fatalities as relevant pieces of information when deciding whether a fire was unprecedented or not.

Are you suggesting an alternative measure or just adding more aggression to a worldwide debate that already has far too much?
I mean, sure, detail pertinent points, but consider as many alternatives as possible to mitigate their influence. What you presented captures only a fraction of the point you are driving at.

The alternative measures I provided were context and logic, sans any aggression. Sincere apologies if facts cause you to feel attacked.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Haven't been too bad, getting through tough times but you do your best. How about yourself?
Sorry to hear mate and I hope you keep getting through them. PM me if you ever want to chat. I’m going pretty good thank you

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just read that some Australian radio stations have banned playing any songs that reference "fire" or "burning". I know the situation that Australia is facing right now is horrible but really, you have to ban songs. I just find that a little strange.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I just read that some Australian radio stations have banned playing any songs that reference "fire" or "burning". I know the situation that Australia is facing right now is horrible but really, you have to ban songs. I just find that a little strange.
Seriously WTF. Hahahaha. Probably Trumps idea.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Sing it loud Billy!..

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
What are people becoming? We are tough and resilient Australians FFS